PDA

View Full Version : DVD is different filesize when I run it through TMPGEnc

Salva Veritate
2007-12-14, 06:10 PM
I was unable to import a PAL DVD using TMPGEnc's Source Wizard, so I just copied the VOB files to my desktop. The original files combine to make 4.35 GB or so (full DVD), but when I copied them to TMPGEnc, they were only like 2.9 GB. Am I losing quality or just filesize? I have to have an explanation, because this format didn't play for a guy I traded it to, so I have to re-send a copy, and he's going to notice a 1.5 GB filesize reduction on the disc.

KoolKat
2007-12-14, 09:15 PM
Why was you unable to import?
& TmpgEnc is an encoder........what was it you wanted to do.Re-author?
Then import to Tmpg DvD Author & click.You don't even have to create a menu if you do not wish.

Also ,when you say that this format didnt play for the person......why?
Does it play for you?

K_K

Salva Veritate
2007-12-14, 09:24 PM
(I am using TMPGEnc DVD Author btw) I dunno why it won't import....it just stops at 0%. The program doesn't freeze up, it imports other DVDs just fine, it just....stops.

KoolKat
2007-12-14, 09:28 PM
OK ,search for a proggy called G-Spot(its free).Put the 1st large sized VOB in it ,take a screenie & let me see it

K_K

(You might try changing the extention of the VOB to mpg & see if they import)

Salva Veritate
2007-12-14, 09:47 PM
I can import it just fine by dragging the VOB files in...I said it wouldn't import using the Source Wizard. The question is whether the file size is relevant to quality. I think the trader might have artificially increased the filesize to fit the DVD exactly.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5717/gspotrocksthegspotkl0.jpg

KoolKat
2007-12-14, 09:57 PM
Well that seems ok

Yes there may be a false reading in the header of the VOBs that is confusing Tmpg.
Are you sure your version of Tmpg takes AC3 audio....thats a possibility.

As a quick fix ,and to see if i'm right with mastering errors ,try this.
Go get the latest version of DvD2One from their site.You'll get a 30 day fully functioned trial.Its plain to use,real easy.

Use that ...at the end it will tell you if it found any mastering errors.If it did it will fix them for you.

K_K

(you'll obviously be using all the files.The Ifos,bups etc...as a VIDEO_TS folder when you use it).

Salva Veritate
2007-12-14, 10:26 PM
Well, now it runs fine through TMPGEnc (thanks), but the filesize is still 2.9 GB, which leads me back to my original question: is this the same quality? :lol

KoolKat
2007-12-14, 10:38 PM
Well, now it runs fine through TMPGEnc (thanks), but the filesize is still 2.9 GB, which leads me back to my original question: is this the same quality? :lol

How bizarre...well its in now.:lol

OK ,as Tmpg Authoring proggy does not re-encode video(unless you ask it to ...preference settings) you will not be changing the quality ,you are just making the ifos.
Strange how it is saying 2.9 though.I feel something is amiss.
I would check the content after...you could still use DvD2One on the original TS folder to see if it fixed any errors.

Glad you're sorted anyway.

K_K

pawel
2007-12-15, 12:11 PM
OK ,as Tmpg Authoring proggy does not re-encode video(unless you ask it to ...preference settings)
It always does. It's clearly stated in the help file.

Never mind. My suggestion is to demux VOBs in ProjectX or PVAInstrumento as both may report audio and video errors.

I had once such problem with erroneous DVB capture - any tool I used stopped at half of the stream. If your video comes from Inabsentia then no wonder, lol

tgunn2760
2007-12-20, 03:18 AM
I would check the preferences tab in the authoring program, is the output selected DVD files or something else, compressed?