PDA

View Full Version : I need help finding a port (http://www.canyouseeme.org/)

cleantone
2007-09-24, 11:56 AM
Okay. This has happened to me before. Settings work fine for months or a year or more. Then one day shits all fucked up and I can't get it right.

I am on a MacOSX.3.9. I have a Westell router/modem. I connect via wireless airport.

My first question is about finding a good port. I know how to setup port forwarding in my router. I know that the firewall on my mac needs to have those ports open. I know that the client being used needs to have those ports listed as well. So my problem probably lies in the port selected.

To use this can you see me website do I need to setup the port in my router and firewall before I test it on that site? I would guess yes.

I keep getting...

Error: I could not see your service on XX.XX.XXX.XX on port (49800)
Reason: Connection refused

49800 being one example.

U2Lynne
2007-09-24, 12:16 PM
Your port number is fine.

Have you tried restarting your router? I woke up one morning and was totally firewalled even though I knew my ports were forwarded and everything was setup correctly. I finally ended up restarting my router and then everything was fine.

cleantone
2007-09-24, 12:23 PM
good call. I will try asap.

cleantone
2007-09-24, 01:24 PM
Seems not to help. I am pretty sure all my configs are proper but my connections are not and the can you see me site says refused. I hate this crap.

cleantone
2007-09-24, 01:40 PM
I redid all manouvers and picked new port. I connected to a torrent here and am green. That should mean that I am okay now right? Just checked can you see me and it is all good. Thanks. Your always so quick to help. Really appreciate it.

U2Lynne
2007-09-24, 03:13 PM
When you restarted the router, did it look like it deleted your previous entry to forward the port?

It sounds like all is well now, which is good! :thumbsup

cleantone
2007-09-25, 10:18 AM
did it look like it deleted your previous entry to forward the port?

I don't think so. If I understand what you mean. I was with the lady since my last post. I came home today and without anything being changed I seem to be screwed again. I wonder if my ISP "found" my port 49500 that was working last night. So weird.

U2Lynne
2007-09-25, 10:27 AM
In your router, you need to forward a port for your local static IP - the one that looks like 192.168.1.xxx . That is a IP that you assign to your computer. You may set your router to assign that IP dynamically, in which case it would be different everytime you start your computer. It you get a different IP everytime you start your computer, then the port in your router will no longer be forwarded to your computer since your IP is different. (Did that make sense?)

So, check to make sure your IP is STATIC, meaning it won't change everytime you start up your computer, and then make sure that is the IP the port is forwarded to. Also, make sure your bittorrent client is always using the same port and isn't picking a random port.

cleantone
2007-09-25, 02:55 PM
Shit. I guess that is it. Is this set in my TCP/IP configuration? I need to do "DHCP", or "DHCP with manual address". I wonder how I had it when it worked always... argh! Thanks a ton.

also...

in my service config I don't know what to make of it when it asks...

Host Service?

Host will allow incoming connections to a designated local PC
Dynamic will only allow outgoing connections from a local PC

OK - Host, Cancel = Dynamic

ohkeepa
2007-09-25, 02:58 PM
I run MacOSX with a westell wireless router also

cleantone
2007-09-25, 03:05 PM
I run MacOSX with a westell wireless router also

Can you tell me what settings you use in your network section of the control panel?

cleantone
2007-10-02, 07:16 PM
I STILL CANNOT gET THIS PROPER!!!!!

This is driving me nuts again. I don't understand why this happens now and then. It is so hard to get it proper after it effs itself up.

I have two computers we always had a network router number that was one off. Would those have changed? With a service upgrade maybe?

Does anyone know if I need to pick HOST or DYNAMIC in my service config?

How can I get a Static IP on a Mac?

Should the Host Device in my service configuration be the IP addresses of the computers or the name of the computer? It give those two options.

How can I find out my router number? When I try to change it to the one that used to work 192.168.1.47 it won't take it.

cleantone
2007-10-02, 07:29 PM
I tried to get these directions (http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm) to work for a static IP. It wouldn't take any IP address.

U2Lynne
2007-10-02, 07:32 PM
Most routers will allow you to enable DHCP just for certain local IPs (like only 192.168.1.200-192.168.1.254) and that way you can still set your computers up to have a static IP below that - like set your computer to use 192.168.1.150. You do need to be able to set a static local IP for your computer!

For a Mac: System Preferences > Network > select Built-in Ethernet or Airport depending on what you use > Configure and then you may select Configure IPv4: Manually and put 192.168.1.150 (or whatever you picked) under IP Address.

The router number is whatever you put into your browser window to be able to access it. Most routers use 192.168.1.1 (but not all routers use that one).

cleantone
2007-10-02, 08:21 PM
This same router with Verizon DSL has used 192.168.1.47 for my computer in the past. It doesn't seem to now though. I have such a good grasp on most of the configurations I just can't figure out why it wont all work. I really feel like it might be my ISP. The other day (above) I managed to get it to work but had some settings wrong and my IP changed all of the time. The guy above chimed in via PM to answer that I should be set to DHCP and not another option in my sys prefs. I just got the faster DSL so I can seed a lot easier. I would like to straighten this out. I might have had enough frustration for one day today though.

cleantone
2007-10-02, 08:24 PM
For a Mac: System Preferences > Network > select Built-in Ethernet or Airport depending on what you use > Configure and then you may select Configure IPv4: Manually and put 192.168.1.150 (or whatever you picked) under IP Address.

I tried this and plugged in tons of numbers. Right from the list the pf.com like above gave me. It would give me an error message telling me that was being used by something else. I tried a ton of them.

The router number is whatever you put into your browser window to be able to access it. Most routers use 192.168.1.1 (but not all routers use that one).[/QUOTE]

I still use 192.168.1.1 to access my router preferences but my TCP/IP is now showing 71.127.12.1 for my router when I use DHCP. I don't know.

cleantone
2007-10-04, 02:59 PM
Can anyone tell me the best way to figure out the address associated to my router for my PC (hardwired) and Mac (wireless)? I think that may be my hangup right now. I NEED to get port forwarded ASAP!!!

U2Lynne
2007-10-04, 04:22 PM
For your PC, open up a terminal (for mine I go to the Start menu > Run > type C:/Command.com, but then I'm running Win 98 or something like that) then once the window opens, I type ipconfig. It then tells me my IP Address: 192.168.1.xxx (this is the local IP that we talk about setting up for your computer), the Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0, and the Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (yours may be different). For a Mac, the easiest way is to click on Apple icon > About This Mac > More Info > Network; IP Address is displayed on the right (it will look like 192.168.1.xxx)

cleantone
2007-10-04, 04:54 PM
Man o man I am getting frustrated. Again I just upgraded my connection and am itching to get this straight. I have done it do many times too. If I have been downloading torrents for 5 years I have been un-firewalled for 95% of that time. I just don't get it. I REALLY appreciate your helping. I have some music I want to see soon but should really get this fixed first.

So I do need a "Single Static IP" setup in my WireSpeed Data gateway?

It shows me...

WAN IP Address : My IP Address

Single Static IP is currently enabled for
"my names"Ős computer.