PDA

View Full Version : A little help w FLAC FE

Sid
2005-03-02, 01:32 PM
Ok,
I have recently aquired some fantastic stuff & I'm going to upload some here very soon.
Believe it or not I have never encoded (decoded 100's of times) using flac frt end.
I have always used mkw and encoded to shn.

OS Win Mln
So heres my problem...>

decode-no problems

when trying to encode a wav file by either dropping or clicking I recieve these err.

to many parameters :confused:
&

bad command or file name :confused:

=========

any suggestions

Sid
2005-03-02, 01:43 PM
I have done some reading & have found no answers :hmm:

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FlacFrontend

Please help.....otherwise I will have to encode to shn & upload them on EZT 1st because TTD prefers flac.

feralicious
2005-03-02, 01:49 PM
Well read this! :lol

Can you put up a screenshot of Flac Frontend so we can see what you have set on it?

All I have checked is Verify and Align on Sector Boundaries and it works fine. Using Level 8.

U2Lynne
2005-03-02, 01:51 PM
Have you looked at this: http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FlacFrontend (look at the second one "Encoding .wav to .flac")

edit: I guess I had this window open too long and you already wrote that you found that page.

And, TTD will accept shn. It's just that flac is preferred by more people now since it compresses more than shn.

Sid
2005-03-02, 02:09 PM
Well read this! :lol

Can you put up a screenshot of Flac Frontend so we can see what you have set on it?

All I have checked is Verify and Align on Sector Boundaries and it works fine. Using Level 8.

the same settings here :hmm:

:confused: curious...does the wav file that is being encoded have to have its file name configured any specific way.
such as>

01.name.wav
or
name
or
01.wav
or
it dos'nt matter :)

Sid
2005-03-02, 03:46 PM
I'm starting to believe that it's a problem between flac fe & win m edition.

I have uninstalled & reinstalled f fe several times with no change :hmm:

uhclem
2005-03-02, 03:46 PM
... when trying to encode a wav file by either dropping or clicking I recieve ...

What do you mean by 'dropping OR clicking'?

It's best to have no spaces or 'special' characters in the file name, i.e. no ?, &, <, > etc. Use the etree naming convention for best results.

While you are at it, you should upgrade to the latest flac.exe binary (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/flac/flac-1.1.2-win.zip?download). It sounds to me like you are using the one packaged with the Flac Frontend you downloaded from etree.

Make sure you have flac.exe and metaflac.exe in the same directory as Flac Frontend or in your system path.

Sid
2005-03-02, 04:25 PM
Sorry I meant drag n' drop or to click & send the wav into the frontend window.

I really don't believe that's the problem because I have no diff. decoding.

I have tried naming the files in diff. ways & still recieve the same 2errors.

feralicious
2005-03-02, 04:53 PM
Could very well be WinME. I heard that was a pos os.

Five
2005-03-02, 07:24 PM
Yeah, after reading thru this it sounds like a problem with ME. Hopefully you will be able to encode to FLAC successfully at some point, but until then we can live with SHN. Did you try encoding with FLAC frontend? It's a longshot, but try the "Secure conversions to FLAC" link in my sig, when you follow the tutorial put WAV files in foobar and go from there and see if that works.

diggrd
2005-03-03, 04:54 AM
I found it best to use the add file button only because at times the file order would get twisted when I drag and dropped and making fingerprints kinda gets messed up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/diggrd/ffe.jpg

Five
2005-03-03, 05:15 AM
I found it best to use the add file button only because at times the file order would get twisted when I drag and dropped and making fingerprints kinda gets messed up.
yeah, this always used to happen to me, too. what I discovered is that if you drag by the top file the order will stay correct--try it out!

RainDawg
2005-03-03, 07:47 AM
Could very well be WinME. I heard that was a pos os.
Very true....the biggest piece-of-shit joke of an OS ever released. But I can't see why this would affect FLAC's ability to run. FLAC can be run on just about any OS. I would try Five's link first, see if you have any success. Also, upgrade to the newest FLAC binary.

Sid
2005-03-03, 07:50 AM
thanks for all the input,but I believe it's a "Me" problem :mad:

I will have to continue using shn's for encoding until I figure this out because I'm not ready to change OS's yet.

stay tuned

uhclem
2005-03-03, 09:52 AM
The order depends on where exactly you put your cursor when you click and hold on the files as you drag them. Whatever file the cursor is actually over when you drag the list of files will be the file that appears at the top of the list. So to avoid this, always put the cursor over the first file in the list then click and drag.

Yes this is stupid but that's how it works.

Sometimes you can drag and drop the folder (as opposed to the files) onto flac frontend and the files will appear in the right order. Other times this doesn't work at all. I haven't figured out why yet.

RainDawg
2005-03-03, 09:59 AM
I think this silliness with the order files are dragged is a Windows API issue, not a program-specific one. Unless the program includes some work-around in the code to sort the filename array upon dropping, it'll just include the files in the screwed-up order Windows explorer passes them in. Somehow, as noted, this seems to be that file the cursor is over when the drag starts is the first one, but I've also seen other strange behavior where I can't explain the order in any logical sense.

Good old Windows....

uhclem
2005-03-03, 10:11 AM
Sid, I know little about ME, but have you tried running flac.exe from the command line? I'd rather do it that way than end up having to seed SHN files.

Sid
2005-03-03, 02:32 PM
Sid, I know little about ME, but have you tried running flac.exe from the command line? I'd rather do it that way than end up having to seed SHN files.

uhclem,
I'm not the best with computers but if you help me out I can most likely do whatever is explained to me & I will try anything to cure this problem.

mailleon
2005-03-03, 03:46 PM
Well.........I'll be damned. Thanks for the tip Uhclem. That's been driving me mad for a while now.

The order depends on where exactly you put your cursor when you click and hold on the files as you drag them. Whatever file the cursor is actually over when you drag the list of files will be the file that appears at the top of the list. So to avoid this, always put the cursor over the first file in the list then click and drag.

Yes this is stupid but that's how it works.

Sometimes you can drag and drop the folder (as opposed to the files) onto flac frontend and the files will appear in the right order. Other times this doesn't work at all. I haven't figured out why yet.

diggrd
2005-03-03, 10:50 PM
yeah, this always used to happen to me, too. what I discovered is that if you drag by the top file the order will stay correct--try it out!
Yes I remember this being discussed before but since it always works using add files in nero and FFE I just got used to that method.

Glad to see someone found an old school method (CMD Prompt) to work around this POS OS problem :clap:

DeepElem
2005-03-04, 12:46 AM
Ok,
I have recently aquired some fantastic stuff & I'm going to upload some here very soon.
Believe it or not I have never encoded (decoded 100's of times) using flac frt end.
I have always used mkw and encoded to shn.

OS Win Mln
So heres my problem...>

decode-no problems

when trying to encode a wav file by either dropping or clicking I recieve these err.

to many parameters :confused:
&

bad command or file name :confused:

=========

any suggestions

Sid, I had the same trouble with win98se, after getting so pissed that I was determined to figure it out, I discovered that the flac installer had chosen Progam files, without giving me a choice, I found it in the change log.
I copied the flac files, I think you only need flac and metafile, but I copied all the files in the flac directory, into c:\windows . It solved my probelms, before doing this, I also got the same errors you named when trying to gengerate a ffp, it cured this also.
But since I figured out how to get it to work, I seldom open flac fe, just use shntool.

Sid
2005-03-04, 07:49 AM
Sid, I had the same trouble with win98se, after getting so pissed that I was determined to figure it out, I discovered that the flac installer had chosen Progam files, without giving me a choice, I found it in the change log.
I copied the flac files, I think you only need flac and metafile, but I copied all the files in the flac directory, into c:\windows . It solved my probelms, before doing this, I also got the same errors you named when trying to gengerate a ffp, it cured this also.
But since I figured out how to get it to work, I seldom open flac fe, just use shntool.

Thanks D E,
I tried what you did(found it in the same place-change log) but with no results.(copied & placed into c:windows)
Same -can't encode.......bummer

Is there a shntool for dummies....lol

stay tuned ;)

uhclem
2005-03-04, 11:33 AM
Sid
I've done some research on this issue and I can't come up with anything to suggest that flac.exe or flac frontend can't run properly on Windows ME. I think we need to further explore the possibility that there is a flaw in how you have it all set up before we can conclude that it's the operating system.

So I have a couple of questions:

1. How did you install flac frontend? Specifically what version and install method did you use? There are more than one.

2. Are you using the very latest flac.exe and metaflac.exe?

3. Flac Frontend works by producing a batch file (usually called go.bat) then running the batch file. Go.bat remains saved inside your flac frontend directory until the next time you click GO. Could you try to run flac frontend again on a set of wave files that give you errors, then before you do anything, provide us with a copy of the contents of go.bat?

Sid
2005-03-04, 12:30 PM
thanks for all the help :D :wave:
the go bat says exactly what's below>

Too many parameters
Too many parameters
Bad command or file name
Bad command or file name

Bad command or file name

Five
2005-03-04, 12:31 PM
Is there a shntool for dummies....lol
well, there's Batchenc:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3859

also TLH, but it isn't capable of encoding just yet
http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/

good luck Sid. don't give up!

Sid
2005-03-04, 12:43 PM
I have installed & uninstalled this version FLAC Installer for Windows v1.1.2a ·2/5/2005 quite a few times & from 3or4 diff. locations all with the same results.

remember,I can decode with no diff., the problem only occours while trying to encode.
the wav files that I have been usingg are all good because I have taken them from already flac'd sources.

:( :mad: :mad:

uhclem
2005-03-04, 01:17 PM
thanks for all the help :D :wave:
the go bat says exactly what's below>

Too many parameters
Too many parameters
Bad command or file name
Bad command or file name

Bad command or file name
What've you posted is screen output. I'm asking for you to post the actual contents of the go.bat file, i.e. open the file go.bat in a text reader such as notepad and post the actual contents of the file.

Sid
2005-03-04, 01:57 PM
sorry, but I'm lost :confused:

when I try to open the go bat in my flac.exe all that I get is the screen with the errors.
How would I open that with a doc program :confused:

I'm sorry but I am not computer smart...just the basics :lol:

Don't worry about it because I will post the shows next week on EZ(using EAC to wav-mkw to shn with sum),they will make it over here sooner or later ;)

uhclem
2005-03-04, 02:03 PM
Change the name of go.bat to go.txt then open it with notepad.

pmonk
2005-03-04, 02:14 PM
Since we are talking about this - is this a common error when encoding???

flac 1.1.2, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. Type `flac' for details.

options: --delete-input-file --sector-align -P 4096 -b 4608 -m -l 8 -q 0 -r 3,3
-V
ERROR: output file Jeff Beck_Arms Concert_ (1983.12.08) 01. Star Cycle.flac alre
ady exists, use -f to override
ERROR: output file Jeff Beck_Arms Concert_ (1983.12.08) 02. The Pump.flac alread
y exists, use -f to override

Press any key to continue . . .

uhclem
2005-03-04, 02:24 PM
Well the problem there is explained right in the error code ... previous attempts at encoding to flac have left partial files which flac.exe can't overwrite unless you use the -f switch. Yes, this is common. So delete all previous unwanted versions before you try again. And don't use the 'delete input file' command until you are sure everything is working right.

pmonk
2005-03-04, 02:31 PM
Thats what stumps me - I thought I did erase all previous files :confused:

uhclem
2005-03-04, 02:36 PM
pmonk I read that so fast I thought you were Sid, sorry man.

So you mean to say the files are deleted but you still get that error? Double check; are they really deleted?

pmonk
2005-03-04, 03:35 PM
OK - I encoded a .wav file to flac where the output directory is the same as input directory and I get this

flac 1.1.2, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. Type `flac' for details.

options: --delete-input-file --sector-align -P 4096 -b 4608 -m -l 8 -q 0 -r 3,3
-V
ERROR: output file Jeff Beck_Arms Concert_ (1983.12.08) 03. Definitely Maybe.fla
c already exists, use -f to override

'Tag.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Press any key to continue . . .

I just download the new flac version 1.1.2 so I no onger manually direct the

Sid
2005-03-04, 03:54 PM
Thanks uhclem for your time but I concede before I do something that I can't repair. ;) :)