PDA

View Full Version : Lossy or due to mic limitations?

corsair
2007-08-05, 01:07 AM
I got this show in with this source:

Source: Sony ECM-737 > Sony TCD-D7 @ 48khz
Transfer: Sony TCD-D8 > 7-pin coax > M-Audio Audiophile USB (spdif) > Audacity > CDWave > FLAC8

The spectral shows that the peak is around 15 to 16kHz. But I dun see the classic 'lego' blocks associated with lossy recordings.
Could this be due to the mic limitations in frequency range?

Thanks.

Five
2007-08-05, 01:47 AM
doesn't look lossy, but wouldn't expect it to look like that from the lineage. perhaps it was 32kHz dat, not 48kHz? that's my best guess.

corsair
2007-08-05, 03:05 AM
doesn't look lossy, but wouldn't expect it to look like that from the lineage. perhaps it was 32kHz dat, not 48kHz? that's my best guess.

That's interesting deduction.
The transfer is supposed to be digital as well.
If its 32kHz DAT + digital transfer, there shouldn't be noise extending from 16 to 22khz as well.

Five
2007-08-05, 04:19 AM
dither? ... no, I don't think it would make that amount of noise.

the lineage looks copied, perhaps the text file was written by a person who got a batch of tapes from the same taper and this one was recorded a little different (32kHz) and transferred analog, and the lineage above was for some of the other tapes that were done after the person doing the transfers got an upgrade. really speculating to the max here lol

pretty much back where we started, I agree it doesn't look like the lineage is quite correct and it looks lossless.