PDA

View Full Version : serious doubts if are lossy or lossless please help

inflicted
2007-08-04, 02:42 PM
Hi, I hope that some can help me about three different recordings that I have from The Prodigy band.

it was from a trade long time ago in CDR and I want to put this on my lossless Prodigy list.

info:

Knebworth 96: ECM-909 Mic>WDM6 professionnal (MD)
Newcastle 97: the info that I have is source VIDEO>CDR
cambridge97 : Unknow source

Thanks in advance.

Five
2007-08-05, 01:52 AM
they all look lossy to me

the first one says its lossy (MD is lossy) but the funny thing is that WMD6 is a cassette recorder, not an MD. So I would seek better sources for all 3 of these and don't post them on sites like TTD/dime etc.

btw, do you have Prodigy 1997-06-02 Boston?

inflicted
2007-08-05, 08:06 AM
they all look lossy to me

the first one says its lossy (MD is lossy) but the funny thing is that WMD6 is a cassette recorder, not an MD. So I would seek better sources for all 3 of these and don't post them on sites like TTD/dime etc.

btw, do you have Prodigy 1997-06-02 Boston?

I thought that Knebworth 96 and Newcastle 97 perhaps they could be lossless.
I know that MD source is lossy when use atrac mode compresion but not in Hi-MD PCM mode (not in this case) but is tradeable anyway? or no?

Yes, I have Avalon Boston, 1997 in an Original pressed silver CD Bootleg.
You can see my Prodigy List in my site:
http://www.theprodigylive.com/prodigy/trade.html

Today I will put two screenshot more from other recordings that I have doubts if are lossy or lossless.

Thanks for your help.

inflicted
2007-08-05, 12:27 PM
and this one? are lossless?

Adelaide 2002 : source from CSSC>TCD-D100
Seat beach rock 2002: Sony TRV30 MINI DV>CDR

I think that are lossless, what do you think?

Five
2007-08-05, 01:04 PM
^these last two are okay imo. see how the frequency response goes up to the top and no strange blocks.

the thing with the Knebworth 96 is that according to the lineage it was recorded on cassette walkman... yet it was transferred to lossy md at some point :hmm: if it was recorded on md then it would be more understandable, but putting it to md after recording on cassette is not much different than converting it to mp3 really. I would not trade those first three.

regarding the avalon boston '97 show I have a non-bootleg source taped directly from the radio to cassette>cassette. I would guess that the bootleg has clean sound and the complete show, so I'm not sure if my version is of any value to the fans. It does have some of the station stuff at the beginning and end as well. my copy has some small cuts in 'funky shit' and 'weather experience' but all the other songs are complete and uninterrupted. great show, great sound

inflicted
2007-08-05, 03:29 PM
I agree with you about Knebworth 96. Thanks. I will not put the three first recordings in my lossless list.

About your Avalon, Boston 1997 FM...
Is an Analog 1st cassette master > first gen cassette
Always is good to get it, The Silver Bootleg is very good and clear but I don't know the bootleg source, you know.

Can you upload your cassette FM recording?

A question... What do you thin about Tau Analizer program?, I use this program as well and work fine and detec lossy sources very well.

Five
2007-08-09, 10:10 AM
Tau Analizer (and similar such as aucdtect) do not give reliable results. when they give a warning it is often right but they will give a false pass too easily.

I can upload my cassette version of the show, but it will probably be at least a month before I can get to it (other stuff in the works right now!).

I would love to check out your source as well, possibly also use 3-4 seconds of it to fill the tape flip gap on mine.