PDA

View Full Version : Is this lossy sourced?

Andy L
2007-07-14, 12:24 PM
I received this collection of Manic Street Preachers FM radio sessions in a trade today, and all the tracks are from different dates. Some of the tracks on it aren't lossy while others (like the ones below) look questionable - I'd like some more opinions before I delete the FLAC files!

Audioarchivist
2007-07-14, 01:03 PM
I received this collection of Manic Street Preachers FM radio sessions in a trade today, and all the tracks are from different dates. Some of the tracks on it aren't lossy while others (like the ones below) look questionable - I'd like some more opinions before I delete the FLAC files!
I'm no expert, in fact I could be totally talking out my a$$, but they look eMPty3-ish, or maybe 32kHz DAT sourced?
What do the 'experts' here say? Eh?

Five
2007-07-14, 10:00 PM
1st and 3rd look like minidisc (atrac) and the middle one looks like... :wtf: very strange, also lossy.

some sites will allow md-sourced fm recordings but none of this would fly here. I would file them somewhere under "best available source" and see if you can rustle up something better for the lossy tracks.

Andy L
2007-07-15, 05:12 AM
OK, thanks a lot for the help guys :)

The Manics are one of those bands where most of their fanbase aren't traders and are more than happy with MP3s, so the chances of finding better versions (these are mostly broadcasts from the early/mid-90s) are pretty remote :(

Karst
2007-07-15, 07:33 AM
track2 maybe DAB radio?

Audioarchivist
2007-07-15, 01:24 PM
My experience with them says that atrac minidisc is a little better than that... unless it's MD-LP (economy setting).
Yeah, that stuff would not be allowed here, I don't think. If it is MiniDisc, if they were master recordings, then that would be ok, though, but they're probably not.

Five
2007-07-16, 09:55 PM
yeah now that you mention it I'm not so sure those are md. all 3 are certainly some flavour of lossy