PDA

View Full Version : Lossy Hendrix Hawaii show

Audioarchivist
2007-06-04, 10:55 PM
I recently saw a Hendrix boot live Maui Hawaii on Purple Haze records...
After a couple weeks and hundreds of D/L's, it was pulled for being lossy.
Five put up a spectral snapshot, and it flatlined at 15K...
I EAC extracted a track of my storebought cd, and in CEP2 the spectral goes up to the top - see attachment.

Should I post up my un-mp3 edition?
I don't understand if Leif12345 owns the same discs as me, how's his mp3 and mine isn't?
Did he EAC extract and save as mp3 or something wierd?
How's it all possible that mine looks ok and his doesn't?
I don't get it...

Audioarchivist
2007-06-05, 12:47 AM
Hey check this out!
It's my version of my Hendrix Hawaii gig, the same part that Five put up the lossy screencap of.
Way different, eh?
I'm wondering what happened to Leif12345's version???
Badly EAC extraction to mp3 by accident?
Was it EAC extracted?
\

Anyway, do I extract the rest now and put up mine as a replacement to those few hundred who wasted their time on what turned out to be a needlessly lossy version?
Mine looks clean. Want it?

Five
2007-06-05, 01:07 AM
I get the feeling that Leif12345's version is not really silvers>eac>flac as advertised.

it would be great if you could post your true lossless version asap and promote awareness not to spread the lossy version any further.

if you need help getting your read offsets 100% perfect etc please let me know.

Five
2007-06-05, 01:16 AM
oh crap I deleted the wrong screencap, then I deleted the correct one now they're both gone... could you please re-post the correct screencap? thx & sorry about that (tired!)

Audioarchivist
2007-06-05, 01:47 AM
These are screencaps of what will wind up being my version of Jimi Hendrix - The Rainbow Bridge Concert on Purple haze Records.

A version of this was posted by Leif12345, and billed as a rip of his silver CDs.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?p=611000#post611000

Five finally put a stop to the lossy version that it was. He put up a spectral analysis of it. It flatlines at 15000 hz.

I quickly EAC ripped the same track as what Five showed up was bad. Here's my screencap of the same segment.

I will get a fresh EAC rip of my own silver discs and scan all the artworx, so you can replace it and trash the previous LOSSY version.
I can only imagine how swirly sounding the mp3 version of this must sound...
It gets better, trust me!

Five
2007-06-05, 01:57 AM
:cool: :clap:

Audioarchivist
2007-06-05, 05:30 AM
OK. I'm done ripping and scanning my own storebought copy of this great Hendrix recording...
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39394
It's unfortunate that so many of you got the lossy version of it, and I can't quite figure out what happened to the first one. It's wierd that it was billed as mine is - an EAC rip of silver CDs. If you look at Five's posting when he pulled the lossy version, it was totally cut off and flatlined at about 15000 hz. As you can plainly see from my follow-up posting here, from the same track at the same place, that my copy goes right up to the top.
I'm just glad I purchased this when I did. I'm even more glad to help you all out with a new clean fresh unEnCrapped version.
So, sorry you all somehow got seemingly duped before. Trash that old copy, and re-get this one. You'll be happy you did!
Cheers!:tunes:

LeifH12345
2007-06-05, 10:23 AM
I apologise for putting that out there, I think I made a mistake when using EAC, but I am unaware what occured. I selected to rip as wav, but apparently it didn't.

Five
2007-06-05, 12:29 PM
that's okay, just please be careful in the future

your other three that are running are lossless, that's a relief. although the neil and tull '79 have incredibly low levels (-20 to -30 dB). feel free to start threads in our technobabble section (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4) and the members here should be able to help you improve the quality of these transfers tremendously. everybody wins.

ps also would be great if you included information on what model turntable/cassette deck and soundcard you are using in the lineage of each show.

U2Lynne
2007-06-05, 12:32 PM
Would the EAC logs say what the possible problem was when he ripped them?

Five
2007-06-05, 01:08 PM
the EAC log tells all, but if it was ripped to mp3 the resulting files would mp3 :hmm:

I doubt he has the log files, its so easy to miss your one chance to save them.

LeifH12345
2007-06-05, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I didn't save them...
I can certainly say the model of turntable/deck used though.

For the LP's: Dual 510 Belt Drive Turntable w/ brand new Shure cartridge.

Cassette: Sony Walkman (no model number)

Five
2007-06-05, 01:33 PM
you should hang onto that cassette then, because the sound you can get by transferring from a quality home cassette deck instead of a walkman headphone jack is like night and day. I've seen my Yamaha KX-650 on eBay for $20+shipping and that's got quite a good sound although not as good as a $5000.00 Nak of course.

how did you jack this into your computer & what's the soundcard? the turntable will sound best if its first pre-amplified up to line level using a decent home amp like a Harmon-Kardon going in the phono input and out the line out to the computer soundcard line in.

I'm also not sure why the '70 Tull has perfectly set levels (loud but not clipped :thumbsup) and the other two are whisper-quiet.

direwolf-pgh
2007-06-05, 01:36 PM
many labels have used these tapes.. the silvers i have are

Incident at Rainbow Bridge & Isle at Wight Festival (1991)
Triangle PYCD 060-2

..its all good - they keep remixing
ill double check to see if this is a version without the studio drum overdub
think i have 3 or 4 other 'downloaded' versions

LeifH12345
2007-06-05, 01:47 PM
you should hang onto that cassette then, because the sound you can get by transferring from a quality home cassette deck instead of a walkman headphone jack is like night and day. I've seen my Yamaha KX-650 on eBay for $20+shipping and that's got quite a good sound although not as good as a $5000.00 Nak of course.

how did you jack this into your computer & what's the soundcard? the turntable will sound best if its first pre-amplified up to line level using a decent home amp like a Harmon-Kardon going in the phono input and out the line out to the computer soundcard line in.

I'm also not sure why the '70 Tull has perfectly set levels (loud but not clipped :thumbsup) and the other two are whisper-quiet.
The soundcard I have is a Creative Soundblaster; the walkman was jacked through the line in in the soundcard and I actually have a Harmon/Kardon 3500 amp with pre-amp for the phono input.

As for the levels, the Neil Young LP is really quiet, I could amplify it if anyone wants.

I compared the walkman with my Pioneer CTS405 deck and its the same, again I can amplify it if anyone wants.

Five
2007-06-05, 03:08 PM
well that's surprising

I don't think its worth boosting the volume on those two shows, maybe if you take another run at it if/when you've got equipment that you feel would improve the sound significantly you could re-digitize it at a higher level like the '70 Tull show. I downloaded only track 2 and it was nicely done in terms of levels. I have no idea if there's any more quality to be milked out of these because I know how bad some of those boot records can sound. I've got a Jeff Beck vinyl boot from '75 and it sounds even worse than what I hear from your vinyl sources.

Is your sound blaster the audigy? SBLive!? or bottom of the line?

Five
2007-06-05, 03:10 PM
many labels have used these tapes.. the silvers i have are

Incident at Rainbow Bridge & Isle at Wight Festival (1991)
Triangle PYCD 060-2

..its all good - they keep remixing
ill double check to see if this is a version without the studio drum overdub
think i have 3 or 4 other 'downloaded' versions
if you find the time (and/or inclination) it would be cool to hear your opinion on which are the best versions (of undubbed drums and re-dubbed drums)

LeifH12345
2007-06-05, 03:49 PM
Is your sound blaster the audigy? SBLive!? or bottom of the line?
Its the X-Fi.

Five
2007-06-05, 04:20 PM
I don't know that one but it seems like its decent

it just seems that all three had a similar thin sound I was thinking maybe there was something simple that could be done to make an improvement. Perhaps a better turntable (the bit I listened to sounded warbly), needle (shure has a terrible rep for needles but that's just what I've heard) and cassette deck down the road could bring out some more goodness. And healthier levels on the two that were very quiet... boosting it after the fact isn't quite the same.

anyhow, they're lossless and you're doing your best with what you have so thanks for all your efforts here.

it would also be good if you could figure out what happened with those cds you ripped, I am totally stumped as to how the got mpthreed like that (I am told the morrison interview that got yanked for other reasons had the same problem). I just push the "wav" button on the left, point to a dir (I use D:/ to keep my personal info out of the log), wait, save the log, then encode the resulting wavs to FLAC. I can't figure out at all how it could go wrong.