PDA

View Full Version : an .FLA file?!?!


AAR.oner
2005-02-17, 08:18 PM
while going through my archives, i noticed one or two shows which were in .FLA format...tried dumping it into FLACfrontend, to no avail...

a quick type into google showed me that its a "source flash file" (macromedia) which makes NO sense to me...pretty sure they're shows i got from STG [rip] and i have no clue how these files "became" Flash files...they seem to be the "right" size for .flac or .shn files

ANY IDEAS???

uhclem
2005-02-17, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "to no avail"? What happened exactly?

Try changing the extension to .flac and see what happens.

AAR.oner
2005-02-17, 09:00 PM
FLACfrontend said "Only .flac files..." etc...

good idea to just try changin the file extension...i don't know why i didn't think to give that a try before...i'll give it a go tonight

thanks for the idea uhclem! cheers...

RainDawg
2005-02-18, 08:16 AM
Yeah, sometimes people use a 3-letter extension (the standard for DOS systems) instead of the full 4, and thus FLAC gets truncated to FLA. By the way, the extension a file has really has nothing to do with what type the file actually is. People are SUPPOSED to name the extension properly to reflect the filetype, but just changing the extension will not change what the file itself is.

Add the c to the end and you'll be set.

chipwhite935
2005-02-18, 10:05 AM
I believe that Cool Edit, for one, uses the .FLA extension for FLAC files.

uhclem
2005-02-18, 12:59 PM
My understanding is that the .FLA extension is designed only for use on legacy systems that can't handle a four-letter extension.

One would think that a newer system such as WinXP could handle the .FLA extension as easily as the .FLAC extension so that it wouldn't make any difference to FLAC Frontend which extension the files have.

But just to be sure, I tested it out by changing the extension on a set of flac files to .FLA and sure enough Flac Frontend didn't like them. I am using WinXP SP2. I then ran the same tests on the same files using flac.exe from the command line and it had no problem with them. So the issue is with Flac frontend only, and the solution is simply to change the extension on your Flac files to .FLAC.

Multi-frontend had the same issue too, btw.

AAR.oner
2005-02-18, 02:07 PM
alls fine now...i was just really confused when i saw that an .fla file is "source flash" and i knew they weren't that...adding the "c" does the trick though...

thanks for takin the time to help out...

slainte!
aar.onerrrrrrrrrr

cmaz
2005-02-18, 03:01 PM
i had this same problem when i was new at this. It was because i had not checked the Use Joliet option in Nero when i burned it. Nero truncated some of the longer filenames to having just an FLA extension.

i found out, though, that as long as the disc was not finalized, i could go back, check the joliet option, refresh the disc and all the filenames would be back to what they were supposed to be.