PDA

View Full Version : Lossy Set in TTD Vine?

guygee
2007-05-21, 11:27 AM
I have a batch file that uses aucdtect that I always run on any new music to help flag any possible lossy sets that are newly acquired. One one recent TTD vine I got a "This track looks like MPEG with probability 95%" for all tracks. I gave it a listen during a drum solo and it sounded bad. It is not staying in my collection, but I thought I would leave it up to the mods here to decide whether to make a general announcement on the vine thread...it could be minidisk after all...

You guys (& gals?) decide...the info file said "source unknown", but I don't want to embarrass anyone if it is minidisk and therefore technically OK. Please take a look:

mbself
2007-05-21, 01:15 PM
looks like mp3 to me.....I think MD recordings dropoff less drastically than this and the spectral analysis looks blocky to me. But, I am not the expert.....one of the mod's will give you a difinate answer.

diggrd
2007-05-21, 01:49 PM
Is there a possibility this could be audio from a video? It's got a band just below 16kHz that I've seen before.

Five
2007-05-21, 02:10 PM
it is lossy, but not mp3 it is minidisc (atrac). compare with the screencaps further down this thread (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8003).

atrac minidisc recordings are acceptable for trading so long as they were made that way by the taper at the venue. so if it is a 1992 or later aud recording it was most probably taped on an MD deck by the taper and is acceptable for trade. If its a 1977 show, well, that's very bad news.

guygee
2007-05-21, 03:06 PM
Yeah sorry, I forgot to give the date or even give it a thought. It is from that Hendrix audio vine going around:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21493

Even if atrac, the master cannot possibly be atrac.

The show date is

JimiHendrix1968-11-27_Providence

Paging AAR.Oner?

AAR.oner
2007-05-21, 05:07 PM
just saw this, thanks for the heads up guygee...just got this vine before you but honestly i haven't even listened to any of em yet, glad you caught it...will post of there