PDA

View Full Version : Help with new dual layer DVD burner

keo72467
2007-05-12, 07:49 PM
I have just purchased a new external DVD burner mostly for dual layer DVD's.It's a Sony DRX-830U and I'm looking for any input on this from any other users.Anybody out there own this unit?It's supposed to support all DVD media on the market and I was wondering which dual layeredDVD's should I use for music movies which I've doanloaded from here and elsewhere?I like sony's but which is the best-DVD-R or DVD+R?Also it comes with a CD software which includes Nero which I all ready have on my computer,can I use nero from my computer or should I use the enclosed software too,it seems like I wouldn't have too since Nero is all ready there.I havn't used it yet until I get some input from some of you techies out there any help?

AAR.oner
2007-05-13, 09:38 AM
if you already have Nero, no need to install the burning software...you'll definitely want to update the firmware after the drive is installed:
http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/firmware.htm#830

as for DL DVDRs, i don't use a Sony drive, but i've found the Verbatim discs to be reliable...i had some issues with Ritek's DL discs, but i know others who have had no problems so it coulda been a drive support issue on my end

keo72467
2007-05-13, 09:51 AM
Thank you AAR.oner,I have gone to that website and this unit is not on there-mainly the reason for asking about this unit to see if other people have used this before or not.I havn't used it yet or installed yet until I get hopfully more responses here.I am going to call company too to see what input they can give me on Monday.It seems like the unit can do a lot just a little leary because it is not on website-maybe too new yet?Any way thanks again for your input-any one else have any comments please let me know.