PDA

View Full Version : Using BitTorrant to Hack??

pmonk
2005-02-14, 04:45 PM
Is this possible???

Five
2005-02-14, 05:10 PM
It is my understanding that there would have to be something in the code of your client for an attack to be made this way. One in a Billion chance, and in the unlikely event you would probably see a thread about it very quickly.

pmonk
2005-02-14, 05:36 PM
I would imagine that! So it would be far-fetched that someone can use my BT client to be able to enter my office network and delete files!

Five
2005-02-14, 06:02 PM
I'm no programmer but I've seen this topic come up several times and the techsperts unanimously agree that bt is safe.

hopefully somebody will stop by and post a more detailed explanation than I'm capable of!

RainDawg
2005-02-15, 07:11 AM
I'm not really qualified to comment, but I'll say that I have heard from people who's opinions I respect that opening ports and using BT software is quite safe.

uhclem
2005-02-15, 02:10 PM
Perfectly safe you say? BitTorrent seems to have hacked my computer pretty bad. I started running it 18 months ago and in that time it has managed to flood my harddrive with SHN and FLAC files. :hmm:

Rider
2005-02-16, 10:58 AM
Nothing is 100% safe but like Five said, there would have to be something in the client. And considering how vocal the BT world is I think the second an exploit came out in one of the BT clients everyone would know about it.

It would also be a good idea to stick with the more well used clients.

pmonk
2005-02-16, 11:42 AM
Just BT clients officially endorsed by STG, R-O and TTD :)

Rider
2005-02-16, 12:17 PM
Just BT clients officially endorsed by STG, R-O and TTD :)

Also becarefull where you get the cleints from. There was a site that was hosting a version of Shadows that was full of spyware

irishcrazy2005
2005-02-16, 12:39 PM
I have a question about this. By opening up ports 6881-6999 in your firewall, aren't you becoming more vulnerable to attack? I understand that all internet activity occurs through open ports, but I am a little confused here.

-Phil

chipwhite935
2005-02-16, 02:55 PM
I have a question about this. By opening up ports 6881-6999 in your firewall, aren't you becoming more vulnerable to attack? I understand that all internet activity occurs through open ports, but I am a little confused here.

-Phil
Only if you have a program on your machine that is listening on those ports and it is either malicious or has some nasty vulnerabilities. Just having ports open by itself should not be a problem.

irishcrazy2005
2005-02-16, 03:26 PM
Only if you have a program on your machine that is listening on those ports and it is either malicious or has some nasty vulnerabilities. Just having ports open by itself should not be a problem.

Pardon my stupidity, but why then have a firewall in the first place?

-Phil

uhclem
2005-02-16, 03:46 PM
You're right, irish. It's not simply a matter of whether a program is listening to a particular port that determines vulnerability. Opening ports does make you more vulnerable to attacks regardless of whether a particular program is using that port. But the only way to assure absolute security from attack via the net is to not be connected to the net.

TedBell
2005-02-17, 06:48 PM
gotta be careful that you are downloading your clients from official channels...there are some hacked versions of bittorrent clients out there which contain evilware...first client i ever downloaded contained a nasty keystroke logger.

chipwhite935
2005-02-17, 08:52 PM
Pardon my stupidity, but why then have a firewall in the first place?

-Phil
That's not a stupid question. :)

I didn't mean to imply that you can just open up all of your ports and not worry about being hacked. The question was about the standard Bittorrent ports 6881-6999. But there are many "Well Known" system ports that should be protected by a firewall. In this case, the operating system and its related utilities are listening on these ports.

Also, a firewall can help detect and prevent outbound data traffic that might be generated by spyware running on your machine.

mailleon
2005-02-18, 02:50 PM
Perfectly safe you say? BitTorrent seems to have hacked my computer pretty bad. I started running it 18 months ago and in that time it has managed to flood my harddrive with SHN and FLAC files. :hmm:

Jeeez! I just checked mine and the same damn thing has happened to me.........WTF? Where'd all this stuff come from?LOL.

rerem
2005-02-19, 05:33 AM
on my firewall the ports are only open to my bt client. When downloading,everything needs to pass hash checks,and then what you DL will have a text file or 2,maybe a couple of jpegs and flac flies but theres no .exe's or cookies-furthur,we pretty much can identify the seeder to the extent they regged with their email and their ip address shows too-altogather there is much better inherent security in bit torrent than on the internet in general where Gator and "Internet Optimizer" lurk with their bogus crap.