PDA

View Full Version : firewalled and ports blocked...why so many? challenge U 2 open them!

ArchivalAudio
2007-03-20, 10:21 PM
hey I know it too me a while to get it all firgured out
and I have a slow DSL connect
but really why are so damn many folks here with blocked ports?

I challenge every one to open their ports!

it not all that hared
some reading and patience
you can do it!

it will help others and help your ratios
as well as just being
darn kind to kind folks

portforward.com
has much detailed info on many routers and OS set ups to configure correctly

and
canyouseeme.org

to check if it all worked

for a long time I thought my ports wereopen but
they were not entirely open

please folks
open you ports
do some reading and

isn't that what it's all about
and why were are here
sharing...

thanx
ArchivalAudio

ArchivalAudio
2007-03-21, 07:41 AM
hmmmm

R U Firewalled?

ArchivalAudio
2007-03-21, 07:23 PM
no replies?

well then your ports are open of you don't know what I am talkin about

U2Lynne
2007-03-22, 11:37 AM
From the torrent stats page:

Total number of Peers (non-firewalled / firewalled): 10,231 / 3,897

So, a little over 1/3 of the peers are firewalled. That really isn't that bad. I think when we started the site, we were closer to 1/2 . Then, one of the Mods recommended I add a FIREWALLED note underneath the user's name in the upper right corner if they are firewalled. Several of those users have come posted in Technobabble for help to get rid of that sign. Don't forget that people who are torrenting from work (where they can get awesome speeds) or from a university, don't have any control over their firewall and thus are stuck with it.

craigjq
2007-03-22, 04:38 PM
From the torrent stats page:

Total number of Peers (non-firewalled / firewalled): 10,231 / 3,897

So, a little over 1/3 of the peers are firewalled. That really isn't that bad. I think when we started the site, we were closer to 1/2 . Then, one of the Mods recommended I add a FIREWALLED note underneath the user's name in the upper right corner if they are firewalled. Several of those users have come posted in Technobabble for help to get rid of that sign. Don't forget that people who are torrenting from work (where they can get awesome speeds) or from a university, don't have any control over their firewall and thus are stuck with it.

I post about people forwarding their ports on the several sites that I use. The opening of your ports helps everyone and leads to more sharing.

I agree with U2lynne that some people do not have control over it. However, fair too many those who are firewalled do. The people who are at a university probably don't because that is how the networks are set up. I am even suprised their are universities allowing students to use torrent clients with all the suing and fining going on with students downloading music.

However, those doing it from work can contact their IT departments or configure their computer as such that the ports will open on their computer. However, if IT will not will not help, probably should not be doing at work in the first place :nono: If that is the case, better to not download from work and slow down everyone else's ratio. It would be better to do it from home or do the old standby of B&P or trading. I would be more then happy to help those who are firewalled on getting shows. I can download them and you can send me discs and I will burn them for you.

I am willing to do anything to get faster speeds and share more music. Nothing gets me more when I download a full show, turn into a seeder, and 50% or more of the leechers of the show are behind a firewall. I try and give back to the community, but cannot do so fully. So, unless you are at school....OPEN THOSE PORTS!!!!!

paddington
2007-03-22, 04:44 PM
look, your point is valid, but this site has FAR fewer firewalled members than most I go to. Some sites, my uTorrent client will see 15 leeches and I'm one of two seeds and like 10 of the leeches don't connect to me. The connectivity here isn't prefect, but it's honestly better than most places - which is remarkable, considering the size of the user base.

ArchivalAudio
2007-03-23, 12:54 AM
well
may bet the torrentsI tend to hop on
Thanx for some replies
I wasn't trying to dis anyone
just wish those
folks could un block their ports

as I found it is Waaaay mopre helpful to share
with them open

thanx for the analysis
and input

I really find excellent resposes from everyone here
thanx
U2Lynne
youhave wonderful responses,and great suggestions
always great!

I have been considering upgrading to a faster connect
to share more
and tobegin the upload process of many of my master recordings....

there is moreprojects for me

thanx everyone!
:D

and my ports are open because of help in technobabble !

paddington
2007-03-24, 11:46 AM
I have been considering upgrading to a faster connect
to share moreand tobegin the upload process of many of my master recordings....

might consider a new keyboard, as well... (or maybe purchasing a thumb?)

dcbullet
2007-03-24, 03:41 PM
:lol

ArchivalAudio
2007-03-24, 10:15 PM
might consider a new keyboard, as well... (or maybe purchasing a thumb?)

yeah
thanx
my ibook space bar sticks
at home I use
a usb keyboard and have less space bar issues
I am on Vacation visiting my folks in Florida

but thanx for pointing out the obvious

any other insightfulinput?

I see you are NOT firewalled,and have a great ratio
Thank you very much

we are all grateful

guygee
2007-04-01, 02:18 PM
Good post Archival, it is a point that cannot be repeated enough. Don't let the comedians above bother you, they forget they aren't in The Lounge. I think Lynn's idea of putting up the nasty FIREWALLED sign is a big eye-opener for the lazy. The tracker once got a little confused and put that sign under my name, it was like having a red tarantula tattooed on my face. I quickly took action, made sure I wasn't really firewalled, then stopped and restarted all of my torrents to make the damn thing go away.

Right now dime is listing Firewalled rate: 40%, so it isn't as bad here as it could be.

Universities used to be great, you could even get Internet II speeds, but then the jack-booted Network Nazis stepped in on most campuses. I once personally knew a student who had her network privileges taken away because she downloaded a BT-ed patch from Microsoft! Yes, MS once used BT to distribute an emergency patch, and due to the strict "No BT" policy at this particular University, she was temporarily banned. It took 2 weeks of arguing with the Network Nazis to get her privileges restored. A student without access to the University network resources is seriously screwed, so trying to bypass the firewall just isn't worth the risk for some people.

KPO
2007-04-02, 02:08 PM
well, I for one hate the fact that I'm firewalled, I have been to port forward, I've talked to my provider (qwurst) and I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the firewall. If anyone else has more suggestions I'd be mor than willing to try it

U2Lynne
2007-04-02, 03:33 PM
KPO, I would start your own thread in Technobabble so it's easier to help you. You should include your Operating System, router brand/model number, bittorrent client, and let us know if you have any anti-virus protection.

ArchivalAudio
2007-04-03, 01:18 AM
wow
I just came back from vacation
and started Azureus back up
and it showed I was firewalled
on port 6886
which had been ok
I tried 6887
I'm now on 6889 and it seems to be ok!

I was worried there for a bit
KPO
I use a local ISP but mmy connection is also with qw-orst too
I'm on a mac and the portforwarding for the airport extreme base station worked weel for me
also check canyouseeme.org
that will tell you if you are open

if you are concerend about your speed, or want to try it
go to
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

damn now it looks like I am blocked again!
more new ports
to open...

ArchivalAudio
2007-04-04, 12:13 AM
weird
I reset some stuff...
lost all airport connections, yet my daughter was able to connect upstairs
the only way to connect was to plug the ethernet in direct...
then I was yellin and cursi'
and almost gave up on getting my wireless to work
and I looked at some info again
than
wham!
its back

and I am not firewalled

weird

thanx

KoolKat
2007-04-04, 08:40 AM
From Shadows site but is the same for all torrenteers

Look HERE (http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html)

K_K

U2Lynne
2007-04-04, 09:27 AM
From Shadows site but is the same for all torrenteers

Look HERE (http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html)

K_K
I liked that explanation, too, which is why I've had it in my signature for ages. A nice, simple, direct explanation.

KoolKat
2007-04-04, 04:45 PM
I liked that explanation, too, which is why I've had it in my signature for ages. A nice, simple, direct explanation.

:lol bloody 'ell Lynne ,you know i've never noticed that.Might be that its too big ;)

Click>WHY IS BEING FIREWALLED BAD? (http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html)<Click

Ahhh..there we go :)

K_K

ArchivalAudio
2007-04-05, 01:07 AM
K_K

nice!
thats a good explanation

and

U2lynne,
I do like it when the big red FIREWALLED
is listed below your info stats (I know it made me really try to not be blocked!)
I think it could help other folks to open their ports
thanx!

U2Lynne
2007-04-05, 09:36 AM
:lol bloody 'ell Lynne ,you know i've never noticed that.Might be that its too big ;)

Click>WHY IS BEING FIREWALLED BAD? (http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html)<Click

Ahhh..there we go :)

K_K
If I did that for every link in my sig, I would have a mighty big, and obnoxious, signature!

KoolKat
2007-04-05, 10:02 AM
Maybe stick a reasonably sized font link in that little space under the banner Lynne.
Not directly under the banner...the little space between the tabs & the 1st block.

K_K

jalew
2007-05-27, 06:23 PM
like KPO, I have also followed all the instructions, even had friends in the know try to help and I am still firewalled. I truly wish to eliminate this problem, but am stumped!
please don't hold this against me. this is the only site where my ratio is below 1.00 and I am constantly trying to increase it. also, I am aware of this and try not to hop on torrents with only one seeder (to the detriment of my ratio). point being that I am aware and try not to bother others with this.

ArchivalAudio
2007-05-28, 01:30 AM
jalew
hey

thanx for trying
you can always post questions in technobabble
and you will get responses

I am on a Mac iBook G4
using Aiport....
it took me a while but even when I thought I figured it out...
I really didn't
then I re-read stuff and got it done...

really thanx for your efforts

pick a port that is a 5 digit number... this is what actually helped me not to be blocked...

keep up the effort

and yes rations are a bit mis leading

as if you disconnect and reconnect they can change

for specific torrents

but folks here are very friendly and helpful
if you post a question about you particular set up
some one will respond

it's community!

saty on torrents longer

and keep them running... but if you are running larger ones like DVD's only have a few open at a time
jump on early and pick popular projects...

peace thru music!

U2Lynne
2007-05-28, 10:57 AM
jalew, if you would like some help forwarding your ports, the best thing to do is to make your own thread in Technobabble and let us know what Operating System you are on, what router model you have, what bittorrent client you are using, and if you have any sort of anti-virus applications installed. Then we can try to help you out.

jalew
2007-05-28, 02:59 PM
THANK YOU both. I appreciate the advice. Lynne, you might not remember but yourself and another kind soul did try to help me in a thread in Technobabble. Again, I followed the instructions but came out still firewalled.
I truly appreciate your help and will invest some more time this week going back through and seeing what I can accomplish. Maybe I'm missing something.
Again, thank you for the advice and the positive tone of your posts. I'll see if I can get past this!
peace.

ArchivalAudio
2007-05-28, 11:58 PM
jalew

thanx
and thanx to U2lynn

so right on start your own thread
and post specifics

I really appreciate all the help around here and try to help out when I can , but my knowledge is limited compared to some
and I am Mac user, which does not help many but it does some...

my ratio is currently 2.37, it took me awhile to get it there, but haveing my ports opened surely helped, as well as upgrading my DSL to a higer speed.

keep reading and trying
I am sure with persistence you can be open

namaste

and peace

PL44
2007-05-29, 04:10 AM
Hey AchivalAudio,
I've just opened a new thread in the technobabble section about this topic. Your help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Pl44