PDA

View Full Version : Cool Edit Pro or Sound Forge

bobs23
2005-02-07, 11:03 AM
I would like an opinion from people who have used both programs. I am a very long time user of SF7 and the NR plug ins. Although I am overall pleased with it, I wonder if CEP is a better way to go. I not only do straight up mastering, but I do a fair amount of restoration work. What I have found with SF is that it doesn't have a true notch filter, and the noise reduction plug ins leave something to be desired. I see that SF8 is about to come out, and I'm sure the upgrade will be around $150. I looked at the CEP (audition) website and it seems to function simalarily. What the site doesn't show is specificly what plug ins and what processers come with it? There are some processers that I really like in SF and can I import them to CEP?

Five
2005-02-07, 05:59 PM
if they're directx you can...

cep has pretty much everything you'll need, and you can always upgrade with plugins. it comes with some excellent spectral, phase and stats analysis capabilities too. multitrack, eqs, dynamics, nr, etc, etc. I think it's mainly a matter of personal taste

ToFu
2005-02-21, 02:36 PM
:cool: Thx 4D comparison
ToFu..

dadgad
2005-02-21, 03:19 PM
I tried both, CEP 2.0 is my Audio software of choice.
If you are keen in audio remastering, CEP is far better IMO than SF.
Check this book:
Audio Editing With Cool Edit
by Richard Riley

ssamadhi97
2005-02-21, 03:42 PM
Adobe Audition > you

Jackstraw_1969
2005-02-21, 03:43 PM
Isn't CEP Adobe Audition now?

dadgad
2005-02-21, 03:51 PM
Isn't CEP Adobe Audition now?

That's just what I was typing, Adobe Audition is a CEP upgrade but it's basically the same software. ;)

erroneous
2005-02-21, 04:12 PM
I have both and while Adobe Audition (CEP) appears to be more powerful (multitrack, lower processor usage, analysis, etc) I've yet to get a handle on it the way I understand SF7.

Maybe there's a tutorial on their website?

dadgad
2005-02-21, 04:21 PM
I have both and while Adobe Audition (CEP) appears to be more powerful (multitrack, lower processor usage, analysis, etc) I've yet to get a handle on it the way I understand SF7.

Maybe there's a tutorial on their website?

Check this book:
Audio Editing With Cool Edit
by Richard Riley

ssamadhi97
2005-02-21, 07:26 PM
That's just what I was typing, Adobe Audition is a CEP upgrade but it's basically the same software. ;)
Sure. But Audition upgrades are very helpful though, like binding scripts to hotkeys or advanced realtime processing when multitracking like per-channel dsp chain etc (iirc CEP2 didn't have that). I'd never go back to CEP if I'd have to choose between these two.

bobs23
2005-02-21, 09:40 PM
That's my problem about changing over. I finally got a pretty good handle on how to use SF. The CEP website has a free 30 day trial, I guess I'll play with it and see. I'm finally done with a large remaster, so now I have the time. Thanks for everyone's input.