PDA

View Full Version : incomplete dvd burns...

barley masticus
2007-02-04, 03:38 PM
i wonder why some of my dvds are not completing?
i burn the entire folder, but they will quit playing halfway through.
sometimes they freeze for several minutes and pick back up a few songs later.
it seems to happen with roxio 7. any ideas?

U2Lynne
2007-02-04, 04:19 PM
Are you making sure to run the md5 checksums against the files prior to burning? (And then removing the md5s from the VIDEO_TS folder prior to burning.) Does your DVD player play both PAL and NTSC? Do they play fine on your computer, just not in your DVD player? Have you changed media brands lately (or just gotten a new spindle)?

barley masticus
2007-02-04, 09:09 PM
i don't always remove the md5 checksums...
it's happened with at least 5 different brands of DVDs.
as far as the player, i have an older sony that won't play nero burns.
the roxio play, but even on high-end players they freeze or finish halfway through.

thanks Lynne.

U2Lynne
2007-02-04, 09:32 PM
OK, wait.....

If you don't remove the md5s from the VIDEO_TS folder, you WILL have problems! You can put them in an EXTRAS_TS folder in the DVD, but the only files allowed in the VIDEO_TS folder are ifo, bup, and vob files.

Since your Sony player won't play Nero burns, what software are you using to burn your DVDs - Roxio 7? Have you ever tried Ones?

And again, have you tried to play the same shows on your computer and do they play all the way through then?

barley masticus
2007-02-04, 10:41 PM
gotta give Ones a shot.
i'm going to find it and give it a shot. gotta be better than Roxio 7.
but, as far as the md5 files go... i've never really considered that they could be trouble. guess i'll just have to play with a few.
and check out Ones.
not sure if they play through completely on my computer... kinda funny b/c i have a huge monitor, 7.1, and a great video card. :hmm: maybe i should pop one in. :disbelief

U2Lynne
2007-02-04, 10:48 PM
Don't you ever play them prior to burning? That's what I'm asking about. Use a DVD player like VLC from videolan.org and you can play the DVD on your computer prior to burning it.

barley masticus
2007-02-04, 11:02 PM
oh. yes, they play. i usually just do a quick quality check and burn. watch them on the tv, though...
i'm putting VLC on my to-do list, too.
thanks.

U2Lynne
2007-02-05, 09:54 AM
So the shows play fine on your computer and only do the 'freezing' when you play them back on your DVD player? Does it always freeze in the same place (like can you go back to the beginning and play it and it will freeze in the exact same place)?

direwolf-pgh
2007-02-05, 01:29 PM
I had this issue of "freezing" once with my Sony DVD player.
replaced my DVD burner with a new sony burner. now everything is great.

it was strange because the original burns worked fine on other DVD players &
also in the computer - had to be a tracking issue.

2 cents

barley masticus
2007-02-05, 04:11 PM
yup. sony dvd player here. they do fine when using my machine w/ a sony burner (and b's rec. gold), but not so well when using the lg and sony dvd player...
and they freeze at (or very, very close to) the same spot every time. my folks dig floyd and coltrane... so i give them a couple of dvds of each. we watch over christmas on their $ony system... freeze frame. the same spot i get the freeze on my dvd player. and the same spot my neighbor gets the frozen screen.
guess i'm going to invest in some new hardware in a few weeks. that's probably my best bet... geez. i sound like a consumer whore...
thank you guys for your help. i'm going to try a new burner and Ones before getting back i do any more complaining...

Kingfish127
2007-02-18, 08:34 AM
I had a issue like this, new DVD player would not play burned disc without locking up.. Well it turned out I was burning on -R when I should of used R+
my burner uses both so I started useing +R disc and that was the trick for me.

Hope this helps
Kingfish :wave: :rock: