PDA

View Full Version : DVD Transfer & Authoring?

Pages : [1] 2

cgskippy
2005-02-02, 06:48 PM
Master Thread for questions on VHS > DVD Transfers & DVD Authoring

'm going to be in possession very soon of a few low generation phish videos :drool and would like to attempt a dvd conversion and authoring. I've done some research about capture devices and standalone burners but there seems to be potential problems with dropped frames and overall quality of the conversion. If someone could lead me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. :hmm: Please keep in mind that i don't have thousands of $ here to throw around. Thanks, cgs

Boddah
2005-02-02, 07:06 PM
info:http://www.digitalfaq.com/aboutus.htm

New Homebrew
2005-02-02, 07:16 PM
I second that recommendation. Email the guy that runs the site and you'll find very reasonable rates for VHS>DVD conversion done with great hardware. He did some tapes for me that I was having trouble with and followed my specs closely. It took a little while but for the price I didn't argue. Ironically enough, I upgraded both tapes in the meantime so I shouldn't have gone to the trouble! You will most likely need to do the authoring yourself to stay within your budget but I bet there are some people here who can help you with that for free.

PS - ask for LPCM audio (uncompressed).

cgskippy
2005-02-02, 07:48 PM
so the general concensus is have someone else do it? I'm not opposed to that idea as long as the rates are reasonable.

any other thoughts?

ssamadhi97
2005-02-02, 07:54 PM
hmpf.. the restoration/preprocessing guides on that page unimpressed me - same goes for the sample video clip on the front page, which is ridden with blended shit frames (ivtc errors I guess) and artifacts galore.

Capturing guides look very good tho, only slight (often irrelevant) inaccuracies here and there and lots of good and interesting information.

Haven't checked the authoring guides yet.

New Homebrew
2005-02-02, 08:22 PM
http://www.digitalfaq.com/restoration/video/digitalfaqservices.htm

mike1061
2005-02-02, 08:26 PM
Videohelp.com and cdfreaks.com are my 2 favorite sites. DVD makeing is still not an exact siance (mispelled) yet. Part of the question is how much time do you have, and how much do you want to spend on doing this. A stand alone unit seems to be the easiest cheapist way. This not as acurate as a computer only job. And then there is the combo way (which is what I'm trying to perfect). If you only have 2 shows to do it has to be cheaper to sub it out.
There are many differant things to consider, Stand alone way: Editing, menues, burn quality, media compatabilty. Computer way: re-encoding, burn quality, media compatabilty. Using both, you still have to have burn quailty, editing without re-encoding, and the media compatability issues to sort out.
In any choice you make all of the issues can be worked out, but you have to read, learn, and test. All take time and money.
Thanks Mike

scottyb
2005-02-02, 08:50 PM
What shows are you converting? We should have a thread where people list their projects so we don't duplicate each other's work.

I'm working on 10/22/96 II.

CMack1481
2005-02-02, 09:52 PM
I stick with my Canopus mmmmmm best gadget ever!

New Homebrew
2005-02-02, 10:17 PM

Which one do you have?

cgskippy
2005-02-03, 12:54 AM
thanks for the advice. i have some time and some money to spend on this but i wanted to see what the right approach is. looks like there's a few different ones. i'll have to look at prices for standalones and see if it's worth it. maybe i'll sub these 2 out and try to do the editting myself and start with that. it's 8/16/98 and 12/30/98, both partials. and if all goes well, maybe 12/13/97 and 11/29/97 also. these probably aren't the most watchable videos but they are low gens of pretty rare videos. i guess i should watch them to see if they're worth converting first!

outpostnorth
2005-02-03, 01:32 AM
you should send 12.13.97 and 11.29.97 to me once you get the video on dvd. i'll sync and author them for you. what gen are those two? those are the most rare by far and i would be happy to do them.

Andy L
2005-02-03, 04:20 AM

Couldn't agree more... I have an ADVC-55, which cost me £145. It's very reliable and never drops a frame or loses sync (and my computer isn't the fastest). If you read through the reviews of Canopus products at Videohelp.com, very few people seem to have problems with them.

h_vargas
2005-02-03, 10:53 AM
I'm going to be in possession very soon of a few low generation phish videos :drool and would like to attempt a dvd conversion and authoring. I've done some research about capture devices and standalone burners but there seems to be potential problems with dropped frames and overall quality of the conversion. If someone could lead me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. :hmm: Please keep in mind that i don't have thousands of $ here to throw around. Thanks, cgs

if you have a digital camcorder with analog-to-DV pass through, that will work, and provides excellent quality results.

if not, two words: Canpus capture card. i haven't personally tested their realtime MPEG-2 capturing cards, but any of their analog-to-DV capture cards work fabulously (i belive all of them have the same chip for converting analog video to DV, so there's not much sense in getting their most expensive model with all the bells & whistles, unless that's what you really want). their ADVC-100 is a very popular model. there's a device by a different company, which is basically the exact same as the Canopus ADVC-100, called the Datavideo DAC-100. the only real differences between these two models are this: the Canopus model has an "audio/video sync lock" switch, and the Canopus costs a good chunk more.

but don't be misleaded into thinking you need the audio/video sync lock... DV (Digital Video .AVI file format), inherently, keeps audio/video synchronized (provided it's in sync on the source video, of course). so i wouldn't say the Canopus ADVC-100 is worth an extra $50+ just for that feature. i used the DAC-100 to capture a good 30 VHS tapes, and never had any problems with audio/video synchronization.

in using these types of capture devices, all you do then is encode the video to MPEG-2 and extract the PCM (WAV) audio... then, if you must, convert it to AC3, and author the DVD. it's a several step process to go from VHS > DVD, but easy once you get your routine of it down pat.

if you only have a handful of videos you want converted, I'd avise looking around and seeing if someone's willing to do it for you. but if you have a ton of tapes, then i can understand putting close to $200 into buying a capture device and converting your VHS tapes.

hope this helps.

New Homebrew
2005-02-03, 11:41 AM
Canpus capture card. i haven't personally tested their realtime MPEG-2 capturing cards, but any of their analog-to-DV capture cards work fabulously (i belive all of them have the same chip for converting analog video to DV, so there's not much sense in getting their most expensive model with all the bells & whistles, unless that's what you really want). their ADVC-100 is a very popular model. there's a device by a different company, which is basically the exact same as the Canopus ADVC-100, called the Datavideo DAC-100. the only real differences between these two models are this: the Canopus model has an "audio/video sync lock" switch, and the Canopus costs a good chunk more.

I use a Canopus ADVC-100, which is an external hardware converter. I like the idea of having a dedicated device outside the computer for converting the video rather than a PCI card. Connect your VCR s-video out to the Canopus box, which then connects to the PC using a firewire port. Free capture software is available or you can use several different applications to capture and render the video.

I would recommend this over a standalone burner due to the increased flexibility in editing and filtering when needed.

Another expense to consider is your playback deck - it is critical for getting the highest-quality capture. I bought a JVC HR-S9800U just for this purpose and it is a big improvement over your average VCR... you have lots of options to get the best possible output, and a built in time-based corrector, essential for encoding generated VHS tapes.

bolognefoot
2005-02-03, 02:17 PM
oops

cgskippy
2005-02-03, 02:25 PM
I do have digital camcorder but I have to check whether it has the analog-dv pass through. but i bet it does. sony miniDV. Is that ok, or should i invest in the canopus? also, i don't think my vcr has s-video output. i imagine that's not necessary for the camcorder method. thanks again for your input.

h_vargas
2005-02-03, 03:02 PM
I do have digital camcorder but I have to check whether it has the analog-dv pass through. but i bet it does. sony miniDV. Is that ok, or should i invest in the canopus? also, i don't think my vcr has s-video output. i imagine that's not necessary for the camcorder method. thanks again for your input.

if it's even a remotely new camcorder (i.e. within the last 2 years or so), it will probably have the pass through feature. i'm betting it is has the feature, though, as i believe Sony institued the analog>DV pass through feature on digital8 camcorders before miniDV became more commonplace.

and i'd say no, don't spend the dough on a Canopus capture device if you have a miniDV cam with pass through. quality-wise, there's either no difference or it's neglible. (definitely not worth an additional $250 investment.) keep in mind, capturing VHS > camcorder pass through > firewire > DV .AVI files on computer will give you so much better results than a lot of things out there (standalone DVD recorder, $50 "usb realtime mpeg capture devices" etc.). a Canopus/Datavideo DV capture device and/or camcorder pass through are really the best quality you can find in the consumer price range.

personally, even if the Canopus MPEG capture devices were great quality, i still wouldn't get one as i like to edit footage before putting it on DVD. and the last thing you want to do is edit an MPEG video then re-encode it back to MPEG. (that will break down any quality the video has in a hurry.)

S-video output on a VCR isn't "necessary"... but i always use it. if your TV has an S-video input and your DVD player has an S-video output, plug up the DVD player using the S-video plug. even official DVDs that you thought "looked perfect" with a composite (normal RCA) plug will look much better using the S-video connection. point being: yes, S-video connection does make a difference.

you could actually take that $200 or so for a capture device (actually, $100 will work) - since you probably won't need a capture device - and get a nice SVHS deck with an S-video output. and plenty of SVHS decks have the 'pseudo'-SVHS playback, to optimize playback quality even on normal VHS tapes.

lastly, make sure you get a GOOD MPEG encoder (to convert the video from DV .AVI format to MPEG-2 video). ProCoder 1.0 and 1.5 are good (2.0 is actually worse quality than previous versions, from the test results i've seen and read). TMPEG Encoder is good. MainConcept is okay. CCE = king of the hill, IMO. and by that, i mean, the encoded MPEG-2 video will look more like the original captured footage than with a lot of other encoders.

there's nothing like taking a VHS (played in SVHS deck with S-video output) > DV conversion > computer > CCE with 5-pass VBR. even at lower video bitrates, the quality is top notch. on my conversions, i use an average bitrate of 7000 and keep the audio as uncompressed LPCM. in back-to-back comparisons on TV sets, you can't tell the difference between the source tape and the created DVD (and that's without any 'tweaking' of the video).

h_vargas
2005-02-03, 03:18 PM
I use a Canopus ADVC-100, which is an external hardware converter. I like the idea of having a dedicated device outside the computer for converting the video rather than a PCI card. Connect your VCR s-video out to the Canopus box, which then connects to the PC using a firewire port. Free capture software is available or you can use several different applications to capture and render the video.

I would recommend this over a standalone burner due to the increased flexibility in editing and filtering when needed.

Another expense to consider is your playback deck - it is critical for getting the highest-quality capture. I bought a JVC HR-S9800U just for this purpose and it is a big improvement over your average VCR... you have lots of options to get the best possible output, and a built in time-based corrector, essential for encoding generated VHS tapes.

that's a sweet setup, New Homebrew. please don't misunderstand what i was saying - the Canopus devices ARE excellent quality (in build construction and in capturing quality). i know, i've used them. i was trying to point out a "cheap" alternative with the camcorder pass through, as i know a lot of people have digital camcorders now (even if just for "family use"), since the original poster is of course looking for the cheapest method of converting some VHS tapes.

and that is one sweet SVHS deck you have. the built-in TBC rocks the casbah.

at any rate, i definitely agree that it IS very nice to have a dedicated device for capturing DV to one's hard drive. (i actually have so many video projects that are in queue right now that i have both miniDV and digital8 camcorders hooked up because i have tons of DV tapes to convert over the next few weeks... and since the camcorders are already plugged up, i've just been using them for current VHS>DVD projects as well.)

New Homebrew
2005-02-03, 04:00 PM
It's all good stuff, and it's fun to buy new toys. The real problem is for the person who is converting only a small amount of tapes. Once you figure the cost of quality hardware, cables, software, and the massive time and learning investment, sending off your tape and $25 for someone else to do it is the best deal in the world!

The only concern I would have about using a mini-DV cam for pass-through is the audio... I would think that most of them yield a compressed audio stream rather than LPCM? I am always in favor of using uncompressed audio whenever possible.

It would be nice for some of us to put together some information on recommended hardware and software for this sort of thing. The idea being to see that people with worthwhile tapes get the optimum quality from them.

h_vargas
2005-02-03, 05:14 PM
It's all good stuff, and it's fun to buy new toys. The real problem is for the person who is converting only a small amount of tapes. Once you figure the cost of quality hardware, cables, software, and the massive time and learning investment, sending off your tape and $25 for someone else to do it is the best deal in the world!

The only concern I would have about using a mini-DV cam for pass-through is the audio... I would think that most of them yield a compressed audio stream rather than LPCM? I am always in favor of using uncompressed audio whenever possible.

It would be nice for some of us to put together some information on recommended hardware and software for this sort of thing. The idea being to see that people with worthwhile tapes get the optimum quality from them.

actually, for miniDV (or digital8) pass through, the audio *IS* in uncompressed LPCM audio in the DV .AVI file, at DVD spec 16-bit/44.1kHz. you can use VirtualDub to extract the WAV file, or Premiere to Export it, and i think Scnealyzer (great capturing program) can actually write the uncompressed WAV file by itself (separate) from the video file.

good point - if a person has only a handful of tapes, it's better to find someone who will convert the tape (in exchange for getting to keep a copy of the DVD for themselves), or to pay a minimal fee to have it done.

i would advise against having someone do it who uses a standalone recorder. don't get me wrong, i have some good quality DVDs made from standalone recorders (off miniDV master tapes), but if there are scenes with a lot of motion, a 2-pass VBR encoding in TMPEG or CCE will beat the standalone encoding easily (i.e. you'll have little-to-no pixelation during the high-motion scenes).

a VHS/video > DVD FAQ would be great, i think. in an ideal world, everyone would use better quality equipment, and better quality software. i appreciate even the lesser quality releases people put out, but imagine moving ahead by everyone using *better* methods for DVD encoding.

New Homebrew
2005-02-03, 05:56 PM
Lately I've just been encoding all my captures at 8,200 kbps CBR. Is there any advantage to using multi-pass VBR? I don't care about saving space, only quality.

CMack1481
2005-02-04, 11:13 AM
Which one do you have?

I have the ADVC-100, also use Sony Vegas Video to capture/render. Sometimes use Adobe Premier for a few things.

fatoldpig
2005-02-04, 02:45 PM
try the ILO DVDRHD04 80gb harddisc dvd recorder. highest quality setting will do 1 hr per dvd. walmart sells for $278. i've transferred 2 vhs so far and they look better than vhs version.

h_vargas
2005-02-04, 02:57 PM
Lately I've just been encoding all my captures at 8,200 kbps CBR. Is there any advantage to using multi-pass VBR? I don't care about saving space, only quality.

oh, yeeeessss. i don't know what encoder you use, but multi-pass VBR really shines with more "complicated" (read: higher motion) scenes. the size difference really isn't that much, fromt he few comparisons i've done.

but i've had some of my VHS tapes transferred with a standalone (from a friend) and then encoded the tapes myself and the difference in quality is amazing. granted, standalone recorders use VBR, but it's only 1-pass (hence, realtime MPEG-2/DVD encoding). i kid you not when i say that when i use 5-passes at an average bitrate of 4 Mbps, it looks better in high motion scenes than a standalone when used in 'XP' (60 minute/disc, highest quality) mode.

it's really just too difficult to get a good encoding of high-motion scenes/scene cuts (which are quite frequent on pro shot concert footage) using 1-pass encoding.

i've read a lot of people say 2-pass encoding is "good enough," but it's worth it to go the 'extra mile' and use more passes, IMO. i mean, using CCE, i encode at 2x realtime. so, even with 5-passes and the initial pass (which creates the VAF file), it's like 6 hours to encode a full 2 hour show. to me, that isn't a big deal, as i usually just set up my PC to encode overnight.

New Homebrew
2005-02-04, 03:43 PM
But if you are using a lower bitrate with the multi-pass VBR, all that encoding time is just used deciding where to "spend" the bitrate. Doesn't it stand to reason that if you use the maximum video bitrate at a constant rate that will yield the result closest to the original avi file?

h_vargas
2005-02-04, 06:20 PM
But if you are using a lower bitrate with the multi-pass VBR, all that encoding time is just used deciding where to "spend" the bitrate. Doesn't it stand to reason that if you use the maximum video bitrate at a constant rate that will yield the result closest to the original avi file?

so it would seem, so it would seem. i was just pointing out that as an example from my own encoding tests. but let's consider something, on an encoding with these VBR settings:

minimum bitrate = 1000
average bitrate = 4000
maximum bitrate = 9000

with CCE running multiple passes, it "sees" which frames have a lot of motion, and hence, it allocates the more bits (so it is technically a higher bitrate for the specific high-motion scenese), and it does this more accurately than if it were a single pass (CBR). reason being: more passes means it gets a much more accurate idea of how many bits need to be allocated at what positions in the video.

not sure how familiar you are in the field of mathematics, but if you know anything about limits and parabolic equations, you can think of it this way... a video (in AVI format) is like a parabolic line, and when doing an encoding to MPEG-2, you're basically assigning square blocks to approximate (as closely as possible) how the source material works.

for a more visiual explanation, take a look at this graph on HowStuffWorks.com...

[img=http://img205.exs.cx/img205/9758/cdsample16yf.th.gif] (http://img205.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img205&image=cdsample16yf.gif)

this graph was actually made to represent a comparison of analog audio (on vinyl, e.g.) vs. digital audio. as you can see, digital audio actually approximates the closest possible "bits" to the analog source, although it isn't a perfect replication.

likewise with encoding video to MPEG-2 (from a different source material, such as AVI format), the encoding software approximates the closest possible "bits" to the source material. now, the more the software can learn about the source video (AVI), the better it can approximate where and how many "bits" are necessary. i hope that makes sense.

New Homebrew
2005-02-04, 06:33 PM
I don't disagree with your analogy. I am just trying to point out that unless you are absolutely pressed for space, why not encode using the most possible data at a constant, high rate? I don't see how using less data (VBR 4000kbps avg) could give a better result.

h_vargas
2005-02-04, 09:25 PM
I don't disagree with your analogy. I am just trying to point out that unless you are absolutely pressed for space, why not encode using the most possible data at a constant, high rate? I don't see how using less data (VBR 4000kbps avg) could give a better result.

excellent point. as i mentioned before (or if not, i should have mentioned before) that i generally only create DVDs at an average bitrate of 7000 (max of 8200), with LPCM audio. i had just use the lower bitrate example as just that - an example. i couldn't believe it myself, that a lower average bitrate with more passes could yield better picture quality (i.e. less pixelation during fast scenes) than a higher bitrate with a single pass.

i have a Smashing Pumpkins DVD off a promo VHS tape, that was encoded with CBR at 8000, and the quality, unfortunately, is not very good. there's a good bit of pixelation, and i know that could have been avoided if a multi-pass encoding method had been used (even 2 passes would have done wonders to cut down the pixelation effect it has).

but i totally agree on using the highest settings possible... which is why i never hesitate to split up a 2 hour show onto 2 DVDs. i'd rather pay an additional $0.70 and use another TY DVD and have the best quality possible. :)

willndmb
2005-02-07, 12:49 PM
if you want someone else to do it you can find lots of people for free
the cheapest and best all around value imo is a camcorder with analog in
that way you have the convertor and a dig camcorder for everything else in life

walter2
2005-02-11, 01:15 AM
So, instead of gettind a box that puts my VHS videos into my computer, i can get a dv camcorder that i can run those through and output uncompressed video to my computer via firewire??? and if so, please suggest a few models that have this feature.

h_vargas
2005-02-11, 08:17 PM
walter2 - the answer to your question is "yes," sort of. using the VCR -> camcorder (analog-to-DV passthrough) -> hard drive in DV .AVI format is technically a compressed format. the DV .AVI files will be about 13 GB per hour of footage that you capture/transfer to your hard drive. but the quality of the captured files is VERY good (very likely the best you can get at consumer-priced equipment).

i believe most miniDV camcorders now have the analog-to-DV passthrough feature. but to name a few... Sony DCR-TRV350 digital8 camcorder, Sony DCR0TRV22 miniDV camcorder, (i'm sure all of the Sony brand miniDV camcorders that have come out after the TRV22 have this feature).

basically, find a camcorder you're interested in, then try to locate the manual (google for the model number + keywords "manual pdf") and then open up the PDF manual and press CTRL+F and type in "analog pass through" or "captue video" and you can quickly find out if it has this feature.

hope this info is helpful.

AAR.oner
2005-02-19, 03:26 PM
i would agree with h_vargas on this...as far as i know [and i actually don't know everything] if you don't have atleast a few thousand dollars to spend on a Pro-level VCR deck and A/D converter, going with a miniDV camcorder is yer best quality-for-the-money...

before having access to high-end equipment, i used the vhs>miniDV>computer method for a number of old punk/metal videos i had gotten over the years [which, granted, were not of the best quality to begin!] i never really had any problems and it'll only set ya back the cost of the cam [$300 bucks or so]

hope that helps...cheers

rherron
2005-03-06, 09:37 AM
I have a question about DVD chapters. I got this fantastic Sting video (the picture and sound are superb) from EZT (from 10-31-94 Phoenix Seagaia Resort, Miyazaki, Japan – broadcast on TV there). The only problem with the thing is the cue points to advance between the chapters do not correlate with the start of a song as they usually do with concert DVDs. This means one cannot easily advance to the desired song when watching the video. This also means that one cannot easily rip the audio portion from the DVD to burn as a CDR (I use ImToo DVD Audio Ripper which basically makes each chapter a track). I don't know much about authoring DVDs but I am hoping one of the files contains the cue points for each chapter. Is this correct? Or, are the cue points embedded in the VOB file itself? Basically, I’d like to be able to wipe out all the cue points and redo them so that each chapter corresponds to the start of a song. Can someone tell me if that is possible and if so how would one go about doing it? I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Rob

pawel
2005-03-06, 05:08 PM
The easiest way: download freeware http://www.xmpeg.net It rips audio to a single wav file - right click and choose "Extract Audio to > WAV file".

rherron
2005-03-07, 05:56 AM
The easiest way: download freeware http://www.xmpeg.net It rips audio to a single wav file - right click and choose "Extract Audio to > WAV file".

I'll give that a try this afternoon. That may solve the audio issue. Thanks.

But...

I want to fix the video as well. I've been playing with ifoedit. I think I may need to write a new ifo file. Not sure. Anyone...?

Rob

RainDawg
2005-03-07, 07:20 AM
Correct, you'll need to reauthor the DVD. The process of authoring does nothing with the .vob files by default, but rather writes the ifo and bup files to suit....including chapter breaks, menus, etc.

The only way I can think of to do this (unless there is a method of editing the ifo files directly that I am unaware of) is to use a DVD authoring program (TMPG DVD Author is a good one). Rip the disc to the hard drive and load the entire Video_TS folder. Then delete all of the existing chapter points, play the DVD through and insert your own, reauthor the disc, and burn it.

As a side note, I hate getting DVDs with scattered chapters breaks like that...I'd rather have no chapter breaks at all and have one long clip than the generic 5 minute breaks some people put in.

rherron
2005-03-07, 03:46 PM
RainDawg, thank you for the suggestions. It may be a couple of days before I have enogh time to devote to figuring out how to fix this DVD, but I'll give what you suggested a try.

Thanks,
Rob

h_vargas
2005-03-07, 05:36 PM
rherron - what does the menu on the Sting DVD you're referring to look like? i suspect the DVD was made using a standalone DVD recorder, as they typically insert the 'random' chapter points in approximately every 5 minutes.

there are several ways you can adjust the 'cue points' on the DVD (i think they're technically called 'chapter points' or 'chapter markers,' but whatever, i know what you're talking about). if the DVD has a menu you like - or if you want to be lazy and not re-do everything, just correct the placement of the chapter points - then all you have to do is save the DVD to your hard drive (everything in the VIDEO_TS folder). then use a program to manually change the chapter points. (i believe IFOEdit can be used for this. it's quite a powerful piece of software.)

another way is to rip the audio and video streams from the DVD, import them into a DVD authoring program, then (re-)author the DVD. during the process of authoring, you can add chapter points, background images for the menus, and so forth.

rherron
2005-03-07, 06:22 PM
You're right. It was made on a stand-alone DVD recorder – no “menu” in the traditional sense. The chapter points are random in relation to the disc’s content . I called them cue points because that’s what they’re called in the audio world – when you split a WAV file into several tracks, such as with Gold Wave, you insert cue points. I didn’t know what they were really called in DVDs – chapter points or cue points or whatever. I figured y’all would know what I meant. I tried and tried to edit the ifo files with ifoedit and could not figure out how to do it. It’s quite obvious that the info is in the file. You can see where each chapter begins, both in terms of time (and you’re right, the chapters are about 5 minutes apart) and frame number. But you can’t seem to edit that info.

I really don’t know how to create an ifo file. I plan on screwing around with it. But if someone would like to give me some instructions (and I mean I want you to tell it to me like I’m a three year old) I’d be grateful.

Thanks,
Rob

h_vargas
2005-03-07, 07:16 PM
unless you're pretty familiar with DVD file structure, then it would probably be easier to get a DVD authoring program and just rip the DVD's audio/video streams, and then re-author it.

or, if you don't care about having pretty menus, you can use IFOEdit to author the DVD, easily. (and yes, you can insert chapter points).

to do this, rip the DVD's audio/video streams (SmartRipper or DVDDecrypter work fine), and make sure you have the ripping software set to "demux"/demultiplex the audio/video streams, and have it rip the audio/video as one long file for each stream (both audio and video).

then, at some point, find out where you want each chapter point... obviously the first chapter would be at 00:00:00:00. write down these chapter times on a piece of paper (or in Notepad or whatever), and use a video time calculator - there's a free one out there, which google will pull up i'm sure - that will convert time codes to video timecode. save this as a .txt file.

open up IFOEdit, click on DVD Author, then import the video and audio streams. under the "Scene changes / Chapters" section, there's a button to browse for/open up the chapter point text file you saved. select the destination (where you want the new VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders saved on your hard drive). then click OK, and it should start creating the DVD.

then just burn it with your software of choice. should work flawlessly. i know several people who only author DVDs using IFOEdit, as they don't want to take time to create menus.

headygouda
2005-03-11, 10:48 AM
Master Thread for questions/issues related to DVD Authoring

Hey, I am putting syncing a show for the first time here, already did it with vegas5 and ulead to cut track it out and author the dvd. But I used 24bit pcm .wav and it came out as mpeg1 layer ii, i'm assuming to match the 'mpeg2 standard'.. but i have been burning 24bit audio to listen to as 'dvd-video' with an audio track, so I know dvd's can hold 24bit .wav and be played back on a dvd player.

Anyone have any tips on how I can mix the video with my 24bit .wavs??? I'd really prefer to keep the 24bit audio there - with a good stereo, you can hear the difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

willndmb
2005-03-11, 12:27 PM
many times WITH video the audio and video are to high of a bitrate
you might have to compress the video down more or switch to ac3 audio

headygouda
2005-03-11, 02:23 PM
Ok. what if I am willing to accept only 40 minutes of video/audio on a dvd, how would I even go about authoring a dvd with 24bit/48khz .wav, uncompressed?

I am using vegas...is it possible?

New Homebrew
2005-03-11, 04:53 PM
Hey, I am putting syncing a show for the first time here, already did it with vegas5 and ulead to cut track it out and author the dvd. But I used 24bit pcm .wav and it came out as mpeg1 layer ii, i'm assuming to match the 'mpeg2 standard'.. but i have been burning 24bit audio to listen to as 'dvd-video' with an audio track, so I know dvd's can hold 24bit .wav and be played back on a dvd player.

Anyone have any tips on how I can mix the video with my 24bit .wavs??? I'd really prefer to keep the 24bit audio there - with a good stereo, you can hear the difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Couple of things... I'm not sure exactly what you're doing. You can't really make a DVD with Vegas, you can make the raw materials to author a DVD in another program, so I'll guess that's what you're doing.

The reason your audio came out as mpeg is probably because you had "include audio stream" checked when you went to render the video. You might find it best to render audio and video streams separately, spend some time selecting the file type and customizing options when the "render" window is open. There is an option for 24 bit wav files and a variety of sample rates, but I am not sure that will be ok when you go to author the DVD.

If you are doing simple cutting/editing, here is a way you can do that without re-encoding your video.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/edit/mpeg2vcr/mpeg2vcr.htm

headygouda
2005-03-11, 06:54 PM
I am rendering in vegas, and you're right, I did include the audio stream, because that is the 24bit file I imported into vegas and synched up with the video. But as soon as I selected "DVD NTSC' as the format in render window options, it said that it would encode the audio to mpeg1 layer ii, which is not 24bit pcm wav.. I see what you are saying, maybe an external rendering program would give me those options?

The dvd format supports 24bit pcm wav, so i don't see why it should be an issue.. I will try looking for another rendering program i guess. thanks.

New Homebrew
2005-03-11, 08:22 PM
You don't need another rendering program. Render separate audio and video streams.

1) render mpeg-2 video stream with no audio, also take the time to review all the options for bitrate and quality when you render

2) render a wav audio stream

They will be in synch if they have the same start point. Then plug these 2 items into a dvd authoring program.

headygouda
2005-03-12, 07:40 AM
thanks! I realized that any of the mpeg encoder/renderers I used gave me the option of selecting pcm audio instead of compressed mpeg, but the resulting product would be a .m2v file instead of .mpg....but the ulead authoring program I use accepts it as an mpeg-compatible file (which I assume it is) - its just a matter of the dvd players' ability to read 24bit audio i think.

h_vargas
2005-03-12, 05:01 PM
an .M2V file *IS* the DVD-compliant standard MPEG video stream. the files with extensions .MPG generally are called "program streams" which means it has the audio and video muxed together (and usually it means the audio will be in MPEG compression as well - BAD idea!).

quick question, was the source audio for the DVD originally recorded at 24-bit? if not (i.e. if it was recorded at 16-bit, then you upsampled it to 24-bit), then there really is no difference in the quality... upsampling will not make an audio source sound better, because those extra bits weren't there to begin with. i say this just to point out that if the source audio is 16-bit, stick with it. no use in making the audio a larger file size for no increase in quality.

headygouda
2005-03-12, 05:29 PM
I think I have figured out how to do it with dvd architect. I've exported the video seperately from vegas, after aligning with the audio track...and yes, I made the recording in 24bit/48khz, so I am just using my original .wavs - at least that's what i've been hoping to do!

h_vargas
2005-03-13, 11:08 PM
I think I have figured out how to do it with dvd architect. I've exported the video seperately from vegas, after aligning with the audio track...and yes, I made the recording in 24bit/48khz, so I am just using my original .wavs - at least that's what i've been hoping to do!

excellent - good to hear both (1) you figured out how to export the WAV file by itself from vegas, and (2) that the original sources are 24-bit. rock on.

silentmachine
2005-03-30, 05:01 PM
I know this question may have been asked a million times but I'm new to DVD authoring.

I'm trying to take 2 short concerts from 2 DVDs and put them onto 1 DVD.

I've extracted each of them using DVD Shrink. Then I demuxed each of them using Rejig, giving me a .M2V and a .AC3 file for each concert.

Using TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 I imported the first concert into the project with no problems. But when I tried to add the second .M2V file into the project I received the following message:

"This is an illegal video file.
For DVD-Video you can only use the following video formats:
MPEG-1 Video, MPEG-2 Video"

Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't the .M2V file be in the correct format after demuxing with Rejig??? It worked fine for the first concert and I can't figure out why it doesn't work for the second.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and what I can do to rectify this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)
Dominic

willndmb
2005-03-30, 06:33 PM
yeah that doesn't make sence
if the first came out in the right format the second should have too

h_vargas
2005-03-30, 08:23 PM
stupid question - have you tried importing the "2nd" concert into TMPG DVD Author *first*? if it imports fine, then i'd say the issue is with TMPG not wanting multiple video files on the same disc... and in which case, maybe there's a "trick" to getting TMPG to accept it, and maybe there isn't a trick.

it's times like those that make me really enjoy a good authoring software... like one that can trim the video (without re-encoding), put multiple videos on the same timeline (again, without re-encoding) and create a sync'd audio track for the multiple video files (again, no encoding, only sewing the audio tracks together as a larger file). mmm, good stuff when you need it!

btw, silentmachine, you are aware of DVDDecrypter and/or SmartRipper, correct? you can do the ripping/demuxing in *one* step (by having either of said programs rip the DVD in Stream processing mode). if not, you should check it out. both of those programs are freeware (magic word).

silentmachine
2005-03-31, 01:33 AM
"have you tried importing the "2nd" concert into TMPG DVD Author *first*?"
yeah I tried that, no joy :(

I have DVD Decrypter and SmartRipper, must try them when I get home and see if I have any luck with them, will probably get the same errors.

Anyone else have any ideas?

4candles
2005-03-31, 04:14 AM
Using TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 I imported the first concert into the project with no problems. But when I tried to add the second .M2V file into the project I received the following message:

"This is an illegal video file.
For DVD-Video you can only use the following video formats:
MPEG-1 Video, MPEG-2 Video"

I don't know what formats TMPGEnc DVD Author accepts, but maybe the problem is that it is a non-standard MPEG-2 file - i.e.. not DVD-Video compliant in some way. Some DVD authoring software (and a lot of DVD players) will accept non-standard MPEG files, but not all.

Do you have any programs that will give you detailed information about the .m2v stream, such as resolution, frame rate etc?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that TMPGEnc DVD Author can import either whole VIDEO_TS folders or individual VOB files and use those to author a new DVD. Is it able to do that?

Dave.

silentmachine
2005-03-31, 06:33 AM
Thanks for your reply Dave...

"Do you have any programs that will give you detailed information about the .m2v stream, such as resolution, frame rate etc?"

I don't have any programs like this...can anyone suggest a program???

"I'm sure I've read somewhere that TMPGEnc DVD Author can import either whole VIDEO_TS folders or individual VOB files and use those to author a new DVD. Is it able to do that?"

TMPGEnc DVD Author is able to import whole VIDEO_TS folders, not sure about VOB files, will try that later when I get home. The problem with importing whole VIDEO_TS folders is that it also imports the original menu, as far as I know, and this is not what I want to do.

jaguaracer
2005-03-31, 08:32 AM
Thanks for your reply Dave...
TMPGEnc DVD Author is able to import whole VIDEO_TS folders, not sure about VOB files, will try that later when I get home. The problem with importing whole VIDEO_TS folders is that it also imports the original menu, as far as I know, and this is not what I want to do.
You can take those out. I've done that before. ie, I took a DVD that was made with a standalone burner and used DVDdecrypter to rip it then opened it up in DVDAuthor and changed the menus. I think DVDAuthor may automatically ignore the menus actually. I just know when I imported the VIDEO_TS folder I didn't have to deal with any menus at all.
My suggestions would be to just rip them to uncompressed mpeg files if you can. I don't see a real need to demux the files. Then just import them into DVDAuthor.

silentmachine
2005-03-31, 09:10 AM
Thanks Jaguaracer!

"My suggestions would be to just rip them to uncompressed mpeg files if you can"

Any suggestions on how to do the above?
Thanks again!

h_vargas
2005-03-31, 12:23 PM
all right, if TMPG DVD Author will not import the 2nd video, then it is likely a problem with the file being non-compliant to DVD specs.

if you get ReStream and simply open the .M2V file, it will tell you the resolution, frame rate, etc.

sounds like this 2nd DVD was authored with something like DVDLab - which will accept non-compliant MPEG files and compile them to DVD anyway.

hence, you may want to try out DVDLab for re-authoring the DVD (with both shows).

DrRock
2005-04-20, 12:41 PM
I currently working a lotus dv show and have some size questions.
Tape 1 is 9 gig Tape 2 is a little over 8. What do I do to shrink the video so I don't have to use 5 dvds. The format Vegas captured it is avi. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
CS

LazyTaper
2005-04-20, 12:58 PM
all programs capture in .avi. you will have to "render" these files either prior to "authoring" or some dvd authoring programs have an encoder built in. My process is avi to mpg2 via vegas (mainconcept encoder, built in) using the dvd template. I adjust the settings to have the bitrate I want. (You can use a bitrate calculator to help) than I use these files in DVDarchitect. To do this you need to know the bitrate to use so that your files won't be over 4.7GB. This requires a little trial and error and experience. It also helps to render the video and audio separately. If you use the same render zone they will line up. This also helps when you make a sbd version and a aud version cause you only have to render the video once. Be aware that rendering is the most time consuming process. I have a REALLY fast computer and it takes close to an hour and a half to render a dvd. Some computers take close to 8 hours. Good luck :)

DrRock
2005-04-20, 03:15 PM
yeah I've done the mpeg2 and audio rendering before when making dvds, but this is the first time I've actually captured video from a master. I'd appreciate if we could more at length about this subject either msn msnger or by phone. I'd call you so it wouldn't cost you anything but time. I don't want to botch this so any help would be really appreciated. Pm me the info if you want.
Thanks
CS

silentmachine
2005-04-27, 01:43 PM
I'm using DVD Lab Pro to do a DVD slideshow

I exported all my slides out of Microsoft Powerpoint as bitmaps (.bmp)

I then imported these bitmaps into DVD Lab Pro and set them as backgrounds and slides for the slideshow.

Problem is, when I compile the project and run the DVD these bitmap images have reduced in quality...noticably!

Can anyone please tell me why this happens and if it can be rectified?

I tried converting the bitmaps to JPEGs and PNGs, finding the same problem.

Thanks in advance!!!

silentmachine
2005-04-27, 03:01 PM
Anyone?

silentmachine
2005-04-27, 03:26 PM
Getting the same problem with TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6

Is this a universal problem with DVD menus?

dupreesdiamond
2005-05-03, 05:51 PM
Hello,
So I just got into DVD trading. I do NOT (read cannot) want to spend money on software. I do NOT want to muck with the audio or video in any way. Simply add chapters and chapter marks.

I have accquired several Disks that do not have menus or correct chapter marks. I would like to fix this. I have a PX716A DVD burner with the bundled plextools software. And Nero 6 Ultra edition. Will I need other software? If yes then are there FOSS [Free Open Source Software] options?

Pointers to "howto"s and tutorials are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

h_vargas
2005-05-03, 09:43 PM
a good open source authoring application would be VERY cool. unfortunately, i don't know of any... have you checked out videohelp.com (under Tools on the navigation bar to the left) to see if they have any freeware listed for authoring? if you haven't, no biggie, i haven't either.

WTSHNN
2005-05-03, 10:34 PM
I mean absolutely no disprespect to anyone by saying this, but I really think it is up to the person who transfers the video to DVD to make a menu. I can't believe these people can take the time to properly transfer a video but can't take an hour to put in a menu and chapters.
IF they did, then you'd have 1 show. IF they don't, then you have hundreds of versions of shows if everyone starts adding their own menus.
Just my .02

New Homebrew
2005-05-03, 11:26 PM
I mean absolutely no disprespect to anyone by saying this, but I really think it is up to the person who transfers the video to DVD to make a menu. I can't believe these people can take the time to properly transfer a video but can't take an hour to put in a menu and chapters.
IF they did, then you'd have 1 show. IF they don't, then you have hundreds of versions of shows if everyone starts adding their own menus.
Just my .02

Authoring takes me much longer than transfer since there are so many variables involved and it can get so complex. The only thing that really matters is keeping track of the source material's origins.

Here's a link for turning your DVD into elementary components for re-authoring:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t224833.html

When you are ready to author your DVD, some good programs are Sony DVD Architect and DVD Lab Pro. It will take some time and experimentation to really get satisfactory results.

dupreesdiamond
2005-05-04, 08:20 AM
Thanks!! Looks like I have a lot of reading and experimenting to do.

andyshuf
2005-06-13, 08:17 PM
Does anyone out there know how to get the video from a dvd download into final cut pro. I know that I can make a dvd and then transfer it to mini dv and then capture that on my deck, but it will take an all ready compressed format and compress it again for the final dvd. I want to avoid this. Im trying to sync a soundboard audio source with the corresponding video source to increase the quality. Can anyone help? Thanks everyone.

diggrd
2005-06-13, 09:12 PM
www.videohelp.com

AAR.oner
2005-06-13, 11:35 PM
you might be able to import the .vob files like you would a regular clip, and then adjust the audio in the timeline...

i've sampled the video track from a .vob file before, but never with the audio track...let me know if it works...

walter2
2005-06-17, 05:14 PM
so, i made my dvd, and the menu wont come up when i play it, it goes straight to the video, but goes to the menu if you press the title button, what do i do to make it the root menu? thanks

Ted
2005-06-17, 05:25 PM
I known absolutely nothing about DVD authoring, but I'm guessing that maybe your problem has something to do with the autorun.inf file or the DVD equivilent. Maybe when you insert the DVD, the player is not reading that file, but when you click the title button, it reads the file correctly. Check Final Cut Pro settings for something similar to making an "autorun CD" when burning CDs.

Sorry if I'm way off base. I'm just assuming DVDs work in a similar fashion as autorun CDs, in that there is a file that is read when the disc is inserted and that file (autorun.inf) points to the first file that is to be run (ex. setup.exe) (or played - the VOB? file?).

AAR.oner
2005-06-18, 10:49 AM
i'm a bit confused walter, you say you authored the DVD with FCP? to the best of my knowlege, i didn't think FCP would create menus or author to DVD, or atleast i've never used it for such...you need DVD Studio Pro for that [or one of the other dvdauthoring programs]...

FCP will export in a few different "formats", maybe you exported in mpeg2 using Compressor and then burned? lets us know a few more details, and maybe i can help more?

ColinM
2005-06-19, 10:33 AM
... burn multiple conversions to one dvd?

I'm using VSO Divx to DVD converter and it's great. What I've got is smaller video_ts folders that I could fit multiples of on to one dvd and then view on my tv. The problem is each conversion creates its own video_ts folder with this included:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB

Obviously , if I tried to drag the next converted video into Nero 6, it would overwrite the previous files already there.

Anyone know how to create a tracklisting (not sure of the correct terminology) of sorts to add more of the conversions to one burn session? Each conversion is about 850 mb, so I can burn 4-5 on each DVD.

I tried renaming the .vob files, but that didn't work. I had left the first set of VIDEO_TS.BUP and VIDEO_TS.IFO files in place. I just added the remaining three after I renamed the numbers to consecutive.

Ted
2005-06-19, 10:51 AM
I think what you want to do is create a menu and then each video would be an entry in that menu, but I have no idea how it would be done. I know nothing about DVD authoring.

There are a few good sites that would probably be able to offer specific help. I know someone posted a couple of them somewhere on this board. Check out the most recent 3 or 4 threads' titles asking for DVD help and see if you can find them or maybe search for "authoring". I'm pretty sure I made a post using that term in one of the threads that mentioned the sites.

EDIT: Here ya go. Check out these links:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6759&highlight=authoring

http://www.videohelp.com
http://www.dvdrhelp.com
http://www.doom9.org/

ColinM
2005-06-19, 11:07 AM
So it might be called authoring. See, that's the problem with searches. I looked through 12 pages of 'dvd' search returns and didn't see anything relating to this. Maybe authoring is where the info is at.

ColinM
2005-06-19, 11:23 AM
So, how does this look? I followed the video structure over at videohelp.com, and I think it's correct. I received zero warnings when dragging the consecutive .vob, .ifo, and .bup files over while NOT dragging over their respective video_ts files.

spontabmark
2005-06-19, 12:41 PM
no you need use a dvd authoring program to and add all the different videos into one project which will then create a new video_ts folder with all the videos in. TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 is easy and is free for 30 days

Ted
2005-06-19, 12:45 PM
no you need use a dvd authoring program to and add all the different videos into one project which will then create a new video_ts folder with all the videos in. TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 is easy and is free for 30 daysJust a quick note/question. Will TMPEnc allow burning? I know a lot of trials/demos for burning software will allow most or all functions except burning.

diggrd
2005-06-19, 12:57 PM
Have you used IFOEdit or VOBEdit (http://www.ifoedit.com/) they might work and they are free

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/120021.php

walter2
2005-06-19, 05:29 PM
yes, im sorry, it is dvd studio pro, i have 2 menus, and used "build and Burn" to make it

AAR.oner
2005-06-19, 06:03 PM
i'll look into it later tonight...not at my Mac right now

you say two menus...yer meaning a main menu and a sub-menu, correct?

walter2
2005-06-19, 11:39 PM
ok, i got it.... control click on the 1st menu and select play first and that makes it the root menu.... why couldnt they just say that in the 600 page manual?

AAR.oner
2005-06-20, 08:25 AM
ok, i got it.... control click on the 1st menu and select play first and that makes it the root menu.... why couldnt they just say that in the 600 page manual?

if they explained it in the manual, that'd make it useful ;)
glad ya got it figured...

willndmb
2005-06-20, 01:30 PM
next time you start a project click on the disc in the upper left
rename it to whatever you want and select "menu" as the defualt jump to when started/start up action

you can also click connections and see what it set to do what when you are done to double check all buttons and menus do what you want
rather it be a loop, timeout, jump to, end jump

Autumn Nocturne
2005-06-24, 06:20 AM
I use DVD Santa for this type of thing,eg: converting 2 TV episodes from AVI to VOB to put on one disc,all you do is choose both the AVIs when you choose the media you want to create a DVD of and it'll add them both into the VOB etc
It's a simple easy to use prog
PM me if you're interested but can't find the prog

grloech
2005-06-25, 01:26 PM
I just reauthored a DVD and added a better menu. The DVD originally had 3 chapters and between 1-2 and 2-3 it spilt the songs. When playing, the gap between each of the chapters would cause a pause. I added chapters to the start of each song. Only problem I only knew how to create an additional chapter to the 2nd half of each of the songs at the original chapter breaks. The hickup is still present. What would be the best way to merger the video so this doesnt happen?

Thanks

ColinM
2005-06-25, 05:53 PM
I ended up using VSO's Divx to DVD converter. It's slow (as expected), but works well. If I leave the program window open after the first file completes, I can add more files to be converted to the same VIDEO_TS folder. That was my goal after all.

Thanks for everyone's help.

spontabmark
2005-07-01, 04:31 PM
i got a few DVDs that i want to upgrade the audio of to better source and lossless. searched a bit but found nothing, any recommendations? thanks

Five
2005-07-01, 05:09 PM
videohelp.com
doom9.org

hope this helps

DoIFeelLucky
2005-07-01, 07:22 PM
You may need some kind of wav editor to cut/add silence to your lossless source as well, cause I'm sure it will be of different length from the DVD video (Murphy's Law, pretty much).

You'll need something to rip the DVD, (DVD Decrypter is great) and then demux the video. Then you'd need something to mux new VOB files using the demuxed video your own audio from the lossless source (I'm assuming you'll want to convert it to uncompressed LPCM @ 48kHz).

I don't have much experience with DVD creation software... I think that IfoEdit can handle the re-muxing, but you'll have to look around for guides.

AAR.oner
2005-07-01, 09:12 PM
what OS are you using?

spontabmark
2005-07-02, 03:28 AM
You may need some kind of wav editor to cut/add silence to your lossless source as well, cause I'm sure it will be of different length from the DVD video (Murphy's Law, pretty much).

You'll need something to rip the DVD, (DVD Decrypter is great) and then demux the video. Then you'd need something to mux new VOB files using the demuxed video your own audio from the lossless source (I'm assuming you'll want to convert it to uncompressed LPCM @ 48kHz).

I don't have much experience with DVD creation software... I think that IfoEdit can handle the re-muxing, but you'll have to look around for guides.
yeah i know all the ripping and authoring stuff just the replacement itself, i found one guide on videohelp for soundforge http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t265495.html

treyrules
2005-07-02, 11:27 PM
whenever i capture dv, it automatically captures and splits to 4 AVIS, how do i change the setting so that it only makes one avi?

AAR.oner
2005-07-03, 08:29 AM
i use FCP/Macs, but its probably in the capture settings or system settings....it'll have an option "limit capture size to" and will usually have either a time-limit or a file-size-limit...i'll see if i can find out from one of the Vegas guys where this setting is exactly...

outpostnorth
2005-07-03, 01:30 PM
it captures in more than one file so you can store each file on one dvd. just work with them, no frames are lost.

PY1TE
2005-07-07, 12:12 PM
What would you guys say is "the best" software to purchase for video editing. I found some old VHS that i want to sync better audio, add menus, etc.

Thanks
Ben

AAR.oner
2005-07-07, 02:28 PM
what OS are you using?
what price-range are you looking in?

PY1TE
2005-07-07, 09:51 PM
Winows XP. I don't have a clue how much these things cost. $50 would be great, but then again, I'd spend a couple hundred if it were worth it.

thisistoto
2005-07-07, 10:12 PM
Dont expect much for 50 my friend. Ulead/Pinnacle makes some pretty decent software for the price range, but videohelp.com is were everyone will send you, and for a good reason, there are reviews on just about every kind of video related software on there. Good luck.

DoIFeelLucky
2005-07-07, 10:23 PM
If you spend fifty bucks, you'll think it's awesome for a while, but if you keep at it you'll end up bashing yourself against countless brick walls and will probably shell out more for an actually good program. God knows that's what I did.

MarcoEsc
2005-07-07, 10:39 PM
What would you guys say is "the best" software to purchase for video editing. I found some old VHS that i want to sync better audio, add menus, etc.

Thanks
Ben

If you know somebody who works at Adobe, I think the best deal is through their employee purchase program. They encourage their employees to buy for friends and family.

I use the Adobe Video Collection Pro. It includes Premiere Pro (editing), Encore DVD (authoring), Audition (audio), Photoshop and After Effects Pro. Employee purchase price: $100.

Great tools, great price. Premiere Pro on its own is $40 employee price.

Go find a friend at Adobe. They have 4,000 employees, so somebodys gotta know someone...

AAR.oner
2005-07-08, 06:30 AM
alright...for PC's you've got:

entry-level editing--
Adobe Premiere Elements [~$99]
Ulead [~$99]

advanced editors--
Adobe Premiere Pro [~$700]
Sony Vegas + DVD production Suite [~$500]

if yer new to editing and just wanna transfer some stuff, or edit without using alot of filters [i.e. color correction, etc] i'd just get Premiere Elements or Ulead...i've never used either tho, so i can't comment as to which of the two is better....

if you think this is something you wanna get serious about, i'd sell yer PC and get a Mac G5 ;)

AAR.oner
2005-07-08, 06:31 AM
[QUOTE=MarcoEsc]
I use the Adobe Video Collection Pro. It includes Premiere Pro (editing), Encore DVD (authoring), Audition (audio), Photoshop and After Effects Pro. Employee purchase price: $100.
/QUOTE]
that's a deal! from $1500 to $100...nice discount!

saltman
2005-07-20, 11:13 AM
why do my posts keep getting deleted? I have answered this question 3 times in two separate threads... and they are ALL deleted....

you need to turn off scene detection. it is trying to determine its own scenes for you. if you turn it off you will get one contiuous capture. If you look close at the split ones you will notice that they aren't exactly continuous. for example look at the position of the audio and video tracks.

Jrref1756
2005-07-26, 10:59 PM
I'm looking to find a program that adds menus and such to a video file I have. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on which to use. I'm looking for ease of use and also cost. Thanks for everyones help!

-Sal

AAR.oner
2005-07-27, 09:18 PM
assuming yer on windows OS, nero will do it...not the greatest
IMO, but thats the only "cheap" one i know of [tho i'm sure there are others--anyone?]

4candles
2005-07-28, 06:54 AM
assuming yer on windows OS, nero will do it...not the greatest
IMO, but thats the only "cheap" one i know of [tho i'm sure there are others--anyone?]

I'm not a user, but lots of people seem to recommend TMPGenc DVD Author as very good value for (little) money.

RPG
2005-07-28, 06:56 AM
I'm looking to find a program that adds menus and such to a video file I have. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on which to use. I'm looking for ease of use and also cost.
Try DVD-LAB Standard (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/) DVD authoring tool from Mediachance. It can do pretty much everything but subtitles and it's limited to a single audio stream (one PCM or AC3/MPEG track). And it's cheap too ($99). There is a shareware version - download and give it a try.

Jrref1756
2005-07-28, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I didn't know nero could make menus...that might be the best bet for me because I already have the full version. Thanks again!

-Sal

AAR.oner
2005-07-28, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I didn't know nero could make menus...that might be the best bet for me because I already have the full version. Thanks again!

-Sal

yep...NeroVision Xpress...don't expect antyhting fancy but, it'll let you author a DVD with simple menu atleast

Datfly
2005-08-07, 09:19 PM
I have a few DVDs that are Master video to Standalone DVD.
I want to rip (demux?) them so I can add a menu and such.

Can someone point me to a page that tells me how to do this ?
I have Vegas Video, DVD Decrypter and have made videos.....
but I have never doen this.....

ANY help would be grateful.....

Thanks,
Datfly

feralicious
2005-08-07, 11:58 PM
This site will have guides, tutorials, links to tools and everything else you need... www.videohelp.com

Another one you can try is www.doom9.org

joshuaturner
2005-08-19, 12:05 AM
Hey,
This is a newbie question...
I (well my mate) has come into a load of vhs (master) videos from a friend and was looking to convert them to dvd. What is the best way to convert vhs to dvd while maintaining the highest fidelity and quality?
Also, what would the source lineage for a vhs master to dvd conversion look like?

vhs (type of camera)>(input cable to computer)>(software to convert to dvd)>DVDR(?)

I understand that DVD extraction to audio is lossy ... and so a no-no (in my book). Is VHS>DVD lossy in anyway?

I searched the forums and the FAQs (I saw that there is a segment coming, but no FAQ currently available) but couldn't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

New Homebrew
2005-08-19, 12:13 AM
> What is the best way to convert vhs to dvd?

There's a lot of different ways based on how much time and money you want to spend. It sounds like you might have a DV camera, which may allow you to convert the video using your camera and feed the digital signal to your computer by USB or firewire.

> I understand that DVD extraction to audio is lossy ...

Not always. ac3 (Dolby) audio encoding is lossy, PCM audio is not. But, not all standalone DVD recorders allow you to encode PCM.

> I searched the forums and the FAQs

Try http://digitalfaq.com to get started...

It helps to know what kind of hardware you have.

Dylz
2005-08-19, 04:11 AM
Hey
I'm the guy inheriting these VHS tapes. I'm getting VHS from two people. Both of them filmers.

One of them has a camera that records straight to VHS. He says 'broadcast quality VHS' (which might just be a selling point for when the camera was new... which i think was some time ago). He is sending me the actual master VHS tapes that he filmed to and I am transferring it to DVD.

The second is a guy who has taped on mini-dv and dumped to VHS directly from the camera (plugging the camera into his VCR). I am also transferring these to DVD.

I'm transferring them to DVD like this. My university has these dumping machines in the edit suites, not sure what they're called or what the make/model is (I can find out). Basically I pop the VHS into the machine which is connected to a PC via firewire and I capture video in Adobe Premiere Pro v1.5. The format I capture in is uncompressed AVI... I'll hafta check it out but I'm pretty sure it would be PCM 44khz or whatever. I'll confirm this when I have my first attempt if need be.

If I were to rip the audio i'm thinking it wouldn't be Lossy. Is it acceptable? And what would the lineage be?

for case 1 ripping to audio
type of camera > VHS(M) > firewire > AVI (capture device and premiere pro) > WAV (export wav in premiere pro) > FLAC > CDR(1)

for case 2 ripping to audio
camera > miniDV(M) > VHS(1) > firewire > AVI (capture device and premiere pro) > WAV (export wav in premiere pro) > FLAC > CDR(1)

corrections?

Thanks.

cosmicharlie
2005-08-19, 08:13 AM
I JUST GOT A NEW POOTER AND WAS WONDERING WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD PROGRAM TO DELETE THE AUDIO AND SYNC IT WITH A BETTER SOURCE. I HAVE WINDOWS XP, 1.6 PROCESSOR, 512 RAM :hmm:

AAR.oner
2005-08-19, 10:19 AM
from the FAQ:
7. Audio ripped from an MPEG video or DVD is not permitted.
All digital video codecs use lossy audio compression schemes, and therefore audio extracted from an MPEG video or DVD is not permitted for seeding here. The exception to this rule is that DVDs which have been authored with uncompressed LPCM audio are allowed to have the audio stream extracted, compressed to a lossless format, and seeded. This rule does not apply to audio taken from VHS sources, which is permitted with the caveat that no cleaner or higher fidelity version circulates. Audio from VCD and SVCD sources is explicitly prohibited as it uses MPEG layer 2 compression, a less complex form of the shunned mp3 codec. Note that ac3 Dolby Digital audio is also lossy in comparison to the original uncompressed version, and is likewise prohibited for audio-only seeding at The Traders Den.

I'm transferring them to DVD like this. My university has these dumping machines in the edit suites, not sure what they're called or what the make/model is (I can find out). Basically I pop the VHS into the machine which is connected to a PC via firewire and I capture video in Adobe Premiere Pro v1.5. The format I capture in is uncompressed AVI... I'll hafta check it out but I'm pretty sure it would be PCM 44khz or whatever. I'll confirm this when I have my first attempt if need be.
*sounds* like its a pro-editing machine, so you'll get much better quality than with say a $100 VCR... without make/model, i'm not positive, but thats what i'm guessing.

for case 1 ripping to audio
type of camera > VHS(M) > firewire > AVI (capture device and premiere pro) > WAV (export wav in premiere pro) > FLAC > CDR(1)
i personally prfer to split lineage into "Source" and "Transfer"...for the above, it would be something like:

SOURCE: AUD CameraMake/Model > VHS(M)
TRANSFER: VHS(M) > "DumpingMachine" Make/Model > firewire > Premiere Pro > wav > "program used to create the flacs" > flac

for case 2 ripping to audio
camera > miniDV(M) > VHS(1) > firewire > AVI (capture device and premiere pro) > WAV (export wav in premiere pro) > FLAC > CDR(1)
SOURCE: AUD CameraMake/Model > miniDV(M)
TRANSFER: miniDV(M) > ? > VHS(1) > "DumpingMachine" Make/Model > firewire > Premiere Pro > wav > "program used to create the flacs" > flac

the "?" above can be filled in if you know the steps taken to go from miniDV>VHS(1)...otherwise, just leave a "?".

for trading purposes, i would leave it in data format [in this case flac] and don't forget to create checksums for the flacs and included a detailed info text.

hope this helps...yer planning on seeding this in DVD format tho, and not just audio right?

AAR.oner
2005-08-19, 10:22 AM
oh, its also nice to note whether it was shot Handheld or on a Tripod.

post anymore ?s you have here and we'll try and help...cheers!

AAR.oner
2005-08-19, 10:25 AM
you'll need a video editing suite. there might be some folks around who could point you towards a "decent" freeware app, but i'm unfamiliar with these [you can search videohelp.com or doom9.org for more info]

as far as the higher end editing software for PC...Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, and Pinnacle are all good, and can definitely do what yer needing.

saltman
2005-08-19, 10:36 AM
Go with Sony Vegas Video 6b. It's very easy to use. Premiere is another good choice. Stay away from Pinnacle like the plague.

Your gonna need an authoring program when your done to put it on DVD. Go with Sony DVD Architect 3B. Easy to use and seamless with Vegas. I personally don't like Adobe Encore.... but others seem to like it. Encore is more customizable but much more difficult to use for a beginner.

Your also gonna need to do some research into how to get it from what format it's in to one you can use in any of the programs above. For instance if it's on DVD already. You might look into something that demultiplexes so that you don't have to reencode twice. If it's a VHS there are other scenarios.

Good Luck

cosmicharlie
2005-08-19, 12:52 PM
Hey Thanks. What So Wrong W/ Pinnacle? Also I Tried Sony Vegas Way To Hard For Me To Use. I Figured That Using Nero Suite Was The Closest To What Im Doing But I Still Would Be Like A Split Second Off. Pinnacle Kinda Looks Easy And So Does Premiere. But What You Are Saying Is They Wont Transcode Any Other Media Other Than Dvd .vob's?

Sorry For The Caps I Work In Cadd All Day

saltman
2005-08-19, 01:09 PM
If I remember correctly premiere will not use .vob. I know Vegas doesn't. I think DVD Lab is one of the few that does. I would demultiplex the .vob to .m2v and .wav to use. This will NOT cause any degradation of the quality.
Pinnacle has a bad reputation for having poor encoding codecs. maybe that has changed not sure. I know that Vegas and Premiere use the same one Mainconcept, which has the reputation as being the best.

Dylz
2005-08-19, 10:00 PM
Excellent. Thanks!

What about the actual DVDs... I've been told to encode the video to MPEG-2 and leave the audio as wav then combine the two when I author the DVD+R.

What would the source/transfers be for that?

TRANSFER: VHS(M) > "DumpingMachine" Make/Model > firewire > Premiere Pro > wav and mpeg2 > adobe encore > dvd+r(m)

both the wav and mpeg2 were exported from premiere... is it okay to group them like I have.

BTW. The vids are of local Brisbane and Perth (australian) metal and hardcore bands. I can offer them if there is any interest.

mike1061
2005-08-20, 07:54 AM
http://digitalfaq.com
is a very good place. So are videohelp.com and cdfreaks.com
There is a lot to makeing DVD's, but the equipment you discribe sounds very good. Is there an option to record the audio in LPCM, that sounds like the best plan.
As far as ripping the audio, DVD's are 48 Hz, and CD's are 44 Hz, so you will have to convert the audio. There are programs that will do that, and programs that will rip the audio. That's actuley called "demuxing" (or something close) when seperation the audio from a DVD. Premiere might do both.
I recomend trolling around those sites for a while.
Thanks Mike

AAR.oner
2005-08-20, 08:32 AM
What about the actual DVDs... I've been told to encode the video to MPEG-2 and leave the audio as wav then combine the two when I author the DVD+R.
Correct.

What would the source/transfers be for that?

TRANSFER: VHS(M) > "DumpingMachine" Make/Model > firewire > Premiere Pro > wav and mpeg2 > adobe encore > dvd+r(m)

both the wav and mpeg2 were exported from premiere... is it okay to group them like I have.
you can...i don't see it as necessary though, becuse you'll need to list the DVD's Attributes anyway [video and audio bitrates], which'll contain the info...check around in the DVD Torrents for examples of "good lineage notation" [look for Outpostnorth or Team Hood seeds, they always have good detailed info/lineage]...

here's an example of a show i recently transferred/authored and am seeding:

DVD ATTRIBUTES:
VIDEO --> NTSC - 4:3 - 8Mbps CBR <============the mpeg2 specs
AUDIO --> LPCM [16bit/48kHz] - 1.536Mbps <==========there's yer wav info

SOURCE:
AUDIO --> AUD Studio Projects C4's [FOB ~30ft from stage] > Edirol UA5 [Oade DigiMod] > Sony PCM-M1 [16bit/48kHz]
By: AAR.oner & Untor

CAM 1 --> Canon XL1 [ SP / Frame mode ] -- Tripod
By: AAR.oner

CAM 2 --> Sony DCR-TRV350 -- Handheld
By: Allan Y. [cheers Allan!]

TRANSFER:
AUDIO --> Sony PCM-M1 [DAT Master] > Edirol UA5 [via USB] > Audacity > .wav
VIDEO --> Master [via Firewire] > Final Cut Pro 4 [capture/edit] > Compressor > DVD Studio Pro 3 [menu/build] > DVD Video_TS

BTW. The vids are of local Brisbane and Perth (australian) metal and hardcore bands. I can offer them if there is any interest.
uh, hell yeah!!! what bands? :clap: :banger2:

Dylz
2005-08-22, 01:24 AM
so far....
brisbane metal bands Empyrean, Minus Life, Alarum (i think they're from brisbane)

unsure of what hard core bands from perth yet. I made contacts with this guy that used to film shows on a regular basis. He has a box of VHS under his bed. He's just gonna lend em to me and i'll DVD-arize them!

I'm trying to form a group of australian heavy music tapers and traders. If anyone is interested (looking for australian members!) give me a buzz and i can send some info.

[email protected]

AAR.oner
2005-08-22, 07:58 AM
Dylz--lookin forward to hearin what's in that box ;)

have you checked out MetalPrincess's site...everything metal
http://www.metalbootlegdatabase.com/invboard/index.php

Dylz
2005-08-23, 03:38 AM
yeah. i'm a member there. good site. :cool:

bvaz
2005-08-24, 03:38 PM
is this very complicated? I was thinking of attempting to sync the Island Tour SBD with the videos. I've never tried it before and have never used a video editing software package. For those who have done it, is it impossible for a beginner to accomplish this?

New Homebrew
2005-08-25, 01:08 AM
It's not so hard. In Vegas, you would simply nudge the audio track back and forth til you found the sweet spot. Then render the audio and re-author with the video track. The hardest part will be importing the DVD into Vegas. I usually use DVD decryptor for that to extract long streams for audio and video.

bvaz
2005-08-28, 06:56 AM
OK. I extracted the video files. Do I use SoundForge to sync the new audio with the video? Will this also get rid of the old audio?
I've tried doing this research on my own, but can't seem to find it. It has made my appreciation grow for all the people that go through all this to share on this site and other, not that I didn't appreciate it before.

AAR.oner
2005-08-28, 08:54 AM
OK. I extracted the video files. Do I use SoundForge to sync the new audio with the video? Will this also get rid of the old audio?
I've tried doing this research on my own, but can't seem to find it. It has made my appreciation grow for all the people that go through all this to share on this site and other, not that I didn't appreciate it before.
what OS yer on & program used to extract the video? also, are you trying to add another sound source to the existing DVD footage? i am a bit unclear...

spontabmark
2005-08-28, 09:30 AM
this is the only relevant guide i could find http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t265495.html

Silver Stallion DVDs
2005-08-28, 10:28 AM
If I remember correctly premiere will not use .vob. I know Vegas doesn't. I think DVD Lab is one of the few that does. I would demultiplex the .vob to .m2v and .wav to use. This will NOT cause any degradation of the quality.Since he's a newbie - he should know that there's a good chance that he'll end up with .mv2 and .ac3 files after demuxing - and not a .wav file. Just depends on what's on the DVD.

Also - much of the advice given here is based on assumption that the new audio is the exact same length as the old audio. If VHS tapes are involved - the chances are next to nil that they are the same. The audio will have to stretched or downsized to match. This is very tricky business because after making the adjustment in an audio editor, it rewrites the audio file and *can* add some funky noises to the audio. I've developed a method for stretching the audio that works really well and doesn't require that the wave be re-written. But it's extremely tedious and time consuming. Also - even if you know you simply need to stretch/downsize the audio by 3 seconds and you do this in an audio editor - even that can be problematic because with some recordings there will be stretches that are out of synch, and some that are in synch. So if you simply stretch/downsize the audio universally by 3 seconds - you'll still have portions that aren't perfectly synched.

Randy

saltman
2005-08-28, 12:41 PM
yeah stretch and pitch correct. use audition multitrack mode. and use time code to set your points here and in vegas. there is no nudging involved with getting videos in synch. VHS?? where have I heard that before.... some kinda primitive tool right? :lol :lol :lol just kidding. It's really not that hard. Lots of hurdles. but any monkey can do it. :cool:

spontabmark
2005-08-28, 12:55 PM
yeah stretch and pitch correct.
you don't need to pitch correct if you time stretch is properly

bvaz
2005-08-29, 05:57 AM
thanks for everyone's help. I think I am at least on the right track. I rendered the new file last night so tonight I re-author it and see what happens.

saltman
2005-08-29, 04:14 PM
you don't need to pitch correct if you time stretch is properly

I think your right. I'll have to look into that. Seems like when I stretched stuff in the past, the pitch got slow/bassy. Seems to make sense though that if in one file 10 beats take 3 measures that if you stretched file b from 2.5 to 3 measures it should be at correct pitch since it also contains 10 beats. However, the theory doesn't seem to work with what I am doing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anyone else have experience? Does anyone have to make adjustments to pitch after stretching for say a matrix or when synching two sources (real synch with timecode points)?

bvaz
2005-08-29, 06:14 PM
ok, the village idiot is back.
I was able to sync the new audio. then we I rendered the new file, it is just under 2 GB when I originally started with a 4 GB+ video.
I used DVD Decryptor to get the video files off the DVD. Then I coverted to a mpg file which was still 4GB. I used SoundForge to sync the new audio with video and then rendered in Sony Vegas.

anyone know what I could have done wrong?
thanks for all the help I have gotten already and any future would would be appreciated.

AAR.oner
2005-08-29, 09:15 PM
you rendered it and it changed file size?

maybe you mean *re-authored* it and it changed size...if thats the case, you might have been compressing using a lower bitrate...i would check the preferences/settings and set it to ~8.5 Mbps CBR [constant bit rate] and if the new audio source is from a ***lossless source***, make sure to set the audio to PCM [or LPCM] and NOT ac3 compression.

fadedu2
2005-09-13, 01:58 PM
What are some of the best authoring software out there, I've used nero vision express , but I don't really like their menu and chapters options, what is the best programs for making menues etc.

thanks for the info.

feralicious
2005-09-13, 02:09 PM
Try the Technobabble (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4) forum for this topic.

saltman
2005-09-13, 02:19 PM
Sony Vegas Video is the easiest to use.

drpino
2005-09-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Lab Pro - http://www.mediachance.com
DVD Author Pro: http://www.tmpg-inc.com/ or http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html or http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

also check out...

cdfreaks.com
videohelp.com
doom9.org
digital-digest.com
afterdawn.com

rherron
2005-09-13, 06:08 PM
Sony Vegas Video is the easiest to use.

Best maybe. Easiest no way.

I have Vegas 4.0. I think the newest is 6.0. This is probably way more software than you need. This is professional stuff -- the kind of thing George Lucas probably has. It could take you the rest of your life to lean all of it's capabilities. I use Sound Forge all of the time and Vegas is way more complicated. But I am no expert.

I can't answer you question but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

I'm installing Pinnacle Studio 9 on my PC right now to play around with. I'm hoping it is better than Nero and less complicated than Vegas.

Rob

P.S. BTW, if you want to purchae a legit copy of Vegas 6.0 it retails, MSRP, for about $675.

AAR.oner
2005-09-13, 06:32 PM
by the best, i'm assuming you mean pro-level editing/authoring packages...prices are from B&H [which are usually a good gauge of current prices]

PC/Windows:
Adobe Premiere/Encore DVD [$990 US]
Sony Vegas+DVD Prod Suite [$580]
Avid Xpress Pro Suite [$1400]

MAC:
Final Cut Production Suite [~$1200]

if you are a student or know a student who'd order for ya, you can find alot of companies who give a sizable "educational discount"...the catch is usually that you can't upgrade to the new edition for "upgrade price"...

drpino
2005-09-13, 06:50 PM
many of the suggestions here are professional level SW suites that far exceed any consumer-level needs and would honestly not be worth it to you unless you are publishing retail DVDs...they're also a HUGE jump from Nero Vision Express...

what's your usage?

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdauthoring.htm

Rider
2005-09-13, 11:35 PM
moved to Techno where you might find more help.

AAR.oner
2005-09-14, 08:15 AM
^^^he's correct that these aren't "consumer-level" programs...by "the best" i was assuming Fadedu2 was askin for the best available...

if you want a decent consumer-level program, i've *heard* that folks like TMPGEnc DVD Author [which i think runs around 50 bucks]...i have no working-knowlege of any of the consumer programs...i do know TMPGEnc has a much better compressor than Nero Vision or Roxio's DVD Builder, etc.

drpino
2005-09-14, 10:11 AM
"best" is such a relative word isn't it ;)

DVD Lab Pro is also an excellent "prosumer" level authoring suite...

saltman
2005-09-14, 10:55 AM
Everyone has an opinion... I learned (basic understanding, good enough for dvd production) Vegas/DVD Architect in less than an hour w/o any previous experience and know others that have done the same. DVD Lab Pro was way to hard for me to grasp... maybe I'm odd. I had great success with the TPGEnc DVD author also... It was the easiest to use and I should've reccommended that first. It is somewhat limited in what it can do.... like Nero Vision express you are trying to get away from. I would almost say it is easier to use than that and even more limited. I understand Avid just bought Pinnacle so they're quality will be getting better....

drpino
2005-09-14, 10:59 AM
there's also Adobe Encore DVD...

one thing to keep in mind is that the professional level linear editing suites require a significantly powerful system in order to utilize properly...

AAR.oner
2005-09-14, 11:00 AM
Avid bought Pinnacle salt? :wtf: interesting...guess it'll be their consumer version of Xpress Pro?

saltman
2005-09-14, 12:37 PM
there's also Adobe Encore DVD...

one thing to keep in mind is that the professional level linear editing suites require a significantly powerful system in order to utilize properly...

I find Adobe Encore to be the most difficult of all to use.

AAR.oner yep avid bought pinnacle for 462 million.

DrRock
2005-09-14, 04:37 PM
I have 3 sets of Lotus from the State Theater in Virginia and have already set all the chapter marks and intro and used the dvd arch template for rendering. After everything was said and done and ready to burn each set is already over 5 gigs with no extras.
My questions are:
-IS it worth using one of the HD templates to make this?
-Should I just combine both sets and make it a DV9; even though I don't have a burner that will burn a 8gig dvd and will have to use dvdshrink?

These are HI8 masters and I've already captured the avi files and like I mentioned above have made the intro's and chapter markers and now I'm just waiting on what to do on rerendering the video/audio. I had to tweak the intro a little bit so rerendering the files isn't that big of a deal since I have to anyways. So before I go any furthur I wanted an idea of what the dvd authorers on this site thought would be the best idea for my little situation.

ANy help would be greatly and deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Cs

Chachi420
2005-09-14, 04:44 PM
hmmm.... I've never done hd so I don't know the answer, but I imagine it doesn't make much difference unless it's recorded in hd (but that's just a guess)...
interesting post...
it's about time to buy one of these:
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/minisites/NAB/HDCX310.shtml
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayModel?id=75301

saltman
2005-09-14, 05:15 PM
don't use HD. 5 gigs at what bitrate? I would render DVD9 files for backup... split them onto however many you need to and burn them as data to assemble when dvd9s are cheaper.
Then I would render to avi in vegas... then use dvd architect to optimize the dvd to fit DVD5. Or you can render in vegas if you know the proper bitrate. Whatever you do, don't render in vegas and then render in dvd architect.
Vegas's encoder is MUCH better if you are doind lower bitrate VBR renders. If you're doing 9800 CBR it doesn't matter.

DrRock
2005-09-14, 05:50 PM
Ok this is the set-up I have now for rendering:
HI8 Master>AVI>VEGAS6>MPEG2>DVDARCH>DVD

Video:
Template: NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps)
Frame Rate: 29.970 (NTSC)
Audio:
48,000 Hz, 16Bit, Stereo, PCM

For video rendering I always select the Main Concept MPEG-2
and then below that for the template I select the DVD Arch

I see the CBR and VBR options. RIght now VBR is checked with max 8,000,000 and average 6,000,000

I still have the original files I captured using the HI8 camera even though there almost like 14 gigs apiece.
From what I've described above I'm on the right track. I have a 51inch HD tv so watching it is possible but making it that way isn'tsuper important.
If I do select one of the HD templates what is the best? And will that file be compatible with dvd arch right away?

saltman
2005-09-14, 06:08 PM
yeah.... there's an option to render to avi instead of mpg2. if you can't calculate bitrates. dvda will do it for you. and you should do some research into what a HD signal is in terms of number of lines etc...

don't do hd. quality won't be better since original signal wasn't in hd standards. and you can view any dvd on any hd tv.

render to avi in vegas. import that avi into dvda. prepare dvd. optimize. bam@!

DrRock
2005-09-14, 06:21 PM
Thanks much. I really appreciate the help. I now will be able to finally get these shows finished and out to the community.

dpernal
2005-09-16, 01:52 PM
Hi y'all. I'm currently in the process of adding new audio to existing DVDs, and am having trouble with a few things. I was able to synch up the new audio track (4-4-98 livephish download, for personal use ONLY) with the video, render it to MPEG4, and that is about it. I wanted to use the existing menus from the copy of the show I already have, and set up chapters on the new video to coincide with the chapters on the existing menu. I'm just learning my way around Vegas and DVD Arch, so any sugestions would be helpful.

Thanks a lot!!! :) :)

Dave P.
[email protected]

saltman
2005-09-17, 12:21 PM
mpeg4 is dump... use mpg2. you're not gonna be able to use the old menus. I don't think. (you might but not with dvda) Don't distribute movies you ripped from dvds. (not just the ones with LP but all) The masters are out there.

outpostnorth
2005-09-17, 01:11 PM
if it's not shot in HD, there is no reason to render in HD.

dpernal
2005-09-17, 01:16 PM
this is all for PERSONAL use only. :D

i made mpeg2 copies as well as the mpeg4 ones, so i'm all set there. how do i create chapters for individual songs?

dp

AAR.oner
2005-09-17, 01:35 PM
i use DVDSP, so i can't give specific keystrokes, but...basically

Import the mpeg2 into DVDArch

drag it yer timeline, then move to each spot in the timeline where you want to create a chapter point, and select Create chapter marker from yer options in command bar...be sure to set yer first chapter marker at the beginning of the video

you then continue as you normally would regarding menu buttons, pointing the buttons to the proper place, etc...

Chachi420
2005-09-17, 03:48 PM
this is all for PERSONAL use only. :D

i made mpeg2 copies as well as the mpeg4 ones, so i'm all set there. how do i create chapters for individual songs?

dp
I think these have been done or are in the process of being done from the master tapes...just to let you know (unless you just want practice with dvd editing and you don't plan on trading it. It's probably better not to pollute the trading pool by synching lp to generated video) Have fun with your project!

[Madman]
2005-09-17, 11:52 PM
I use Ulead DVD Pro, it's pretty easy to use and it can take you like 20 minutes to reauthor a DVD and they look great. I make my own artwork, but like I said, once u know how to use it, it`s pretty fast.

Here`s a couple of examples:
Lacuna Coil - Ozzfest (http://www.metalbootlegdatabase.com/invboard/uploads/post-66-1120194517.jpg)

Silver Stallion DVDs
2005-09-18, 01:00 AM
Hi y'all. I'm currently in the process of adding new audio to existing DVDs, and am having trouble with a few things. I was able to synch up the new audio track (4-4-98 livephish download, for personal use ONLY) with the video, render it to MPEG4, and that is about it. I wanted to use the existing menus from the copy of the show I already have, and set up chapters on the new video to coincide with the chapters on the existing menu. I'm just learning my way around Vegas and DVD Arch, so any sugestions would be helpful.

Thanks a lot!!! :) :)

Dave P.
[email protected]
You would need the original .dar file (created by DVD Architect) in order to reuse the menus. Actually, even with that, you'd have a problem, because you'd need the original clips / stills used in the original menus.

To get started - open DVD A and right click on the work area and click on "insert media" to add your main mpeg2. An avatar with text below it will appear on the screen. If you want to get rid of the avatar (I only use text base menu buttons) right click on it and go to button options and choose accordingly.

If you set your chapter points in Vegas Video (highly recommended and much easier than doing it in DVD A), when you right click on the mpeg2 avatar/text in the main work area and select "insert scene selection menu" all the chapter points will be included. By doing the "insert scene selection menu" a second avatar w/ text will appear. Double click that and it will take you to the scene/song selection menu. Arrange things in there as you wish.

In the menu page properties (right side of work area) you will see where you select the menu video (or still) and audio. If you select video (an mpeg2 clip) you also have to select the same clip for audio.

These are the basics - there's a lot more to it. I learned how to use it by reading the manual - which I highly recommend. You can ask questions forever - but you'll just get little bits and pieces. It's all fully explained in the manual. Also Sony has a forum for each program at its website and just about every question you could ever imagine has been asked there. Just go there and use the search function.

Cheers,

Randy

hesterthe13th
2005-09-27, 09:45 AM
I'm working on my first dual layer dvd and I'm running into an issue setting the layer break where I want it. Ideally I'd like it to fall between songs, but apparently that's not possible with the show I'm working on.

I'm working on a mac, using final cut pro & dvd studio pro but I'd love to hear some replies from PC users, too. What's your opinion on the layer break? Does it annoy you when it's in the middle of a song? Have any of you successfully gotten your layer transition to fall between songs? Does the layer break remain constant on multiple burns of the disc? I'm reading on mac forums that Toast, the best burning app for macs, doesn't recognize the dvd studio pro layer breaks and just reassigns one itself automatically. Do PC apps do the same thing. I've only downloaded and burned two DL dvd's off here (Les Claypool's FFFB @ the tabernacle and Neil Young at Bonneroo.) I haven't found the layer break in the Neil DVD, yet, but on my copy of the Les dvd, the layer break falls right near the beginning of Pigs. Is that where it falls on other people's copies or is that a result of my burning the video_ts folder with Toast? I've also noticed the layer break isn't obvious when playing the dvd in a dvd-rom drive.

For the DL dvd, I'm working on now, I'm debating whether to keep it on a DL disc with the layer break interuppting a song or if I should split it into two single layer discs and I'd really appreciate some feedback.

AAR.oner
2005-09-27, 09:52 AM
good ?s...can't answer ya, but i'd be interested to know some of this as well

TheMamba
2005-09-27, 11:07 AM
I've also noticed the layer break isn't obvious when playing the dvd in a dvd-rom drive.

Well, you just answered one of my questions. Got a DL drive awhile ago but haven't gotten around to burning DL discs...yet. I'm definitely staying tuned to this thread. :wave:

gsmyth79
2005-09-27, 12:27 PM
People like soybomb/outpostnorth/unidecker/teamhood may be able to help you out. They've authored some DVD9s if I recall.

hesterthe13th
2005-09-27, 01:08 PM
yeah, I'm hoping they pop into this thread.

feralicious
2005-09-27, 01:48 PM
Well I just subscribed to this thread.

I have another DL dvd question. I don't have one yet, but soon... soon... so I'm wondering about data vs. video dvds for DL. I always burn my dvds as data since my standalone can play them and it keeps all files intact. What are the logistics on a DL dvd for doing this and does anyone know if you can burn as data and still have it play?

hesterthe13th
2005-09-27, 02:05 PM
On my mac, I always burn them as data discs, both single and dual layer. I've done it ever since someone told me that choosing video dvd and dropping the video_ts caused it to change some of the files.

Leehro
2005-09-27, 05:03 PM
It all depends on the software you use for authoring, and if the burning software listens to it when you place the layer break.

I created a dual layer DVD in DVDMaestro on the PC a year ago. spent a lot of time to calculate the sector size and get the layers the correct size (L0 has to be bigger than L1, and both have to be under X number of bytes). when i finally got the layer break in the perfect spot and made the IMG file, i went to burn with dvd decrypter, since maestro is old and doesn't recognize my burner now. DVDDecrypter totally ignored where I wanted to put the layer break.

I guess this setting was either in my layout file or in the image. regardless, it must have been implementation-specific. DVD Decrypter's way of burning DL discs didn't care, and just put it right in the middle of the file.

Now DVD Decrypter has a setting for dual layer where you can specify the number of sectors in L0. So if you've already calculated this, you can just copy/paste that number. so this way it's not automated.

I've never copied a DVD9 so I don't know if dvd decrypter (or toast/whatever) keeps the layer break in the same spot for copies. And i'm sure some programs will preserve it and some will just figure out where they think the best spot is.

Even if you get it right on the discs you burn, there's no way to guarantee people will copy the disc the same way and preserve the layer break. So consider that and decide if it matters enough to skip dual layer authoring. personally i don't care. I think my current dvd player buffers through them. never noticed a layer switch on it.

Soybomb
2005-09-27, 05:38 PM
so far i've only noticed a layer break on 1 of my DL
dvd's that i have made. Sometimes it's noticable, and
sometimes it's not?!? it's probably my player.

But i haven't messed around with setting a specific place
for a layer break. I started to with that neil dvd, but decided not
to change the default. I still haven't noticed a layer break on that dvd.

Sorry i can't be more help; maybe someone else has the answers.

wilson
2005-09-27, 06:28 PM
yeah my last project with final cut .... i selected the chapter and it put it directly in the middle of the chapter .... so next time i am just going to make a one second chapter just for the break point .... hopefully that works

hesterthe13th
2005-09-27, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I appreciate the input. I know there's probably not really a right or wrong answer to most of these questions, I just wanted to get a few opinions.

Wilson, I tried that this last time adding a little chapter right in the middle for the break and DVD Studio Pro kept giving me the "there's no suitable place for a layer break" warning I finally just built the disc with Studio pro and burned it with Toast, letting it set it automatically and without the constant errors I was getting with studio pro when trying to burn.

kidrocklive
2005-09-27, 08:09 PM
I just used TMPGEnc DVD Author for one I did a month ago. Turned out fine.

Five
2005-09-29, 10:20 AM
Well, you just answered one of my questions. Got a DL drive awhile ago but haven't gotten around to burning DL discs...yet. I'm definitely staying tuned to this thread. :wave:
same here!

Danse Macabre
2005-10-14, 05:39 PM
I recently taped a live blues/rock show and I need the best way to transfer VHS to my PC in DVD format. I have the capability to connect a VCR to my PC via S-Video. But I need to know what to use to capture it to DVD format.

Any freeware programs out there?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Chachi420
2005-10-14, 05:42 PM
there is a freeware but I don't remember the name...it worked tho
hope that little info helps...

Danse Macabre
2005-10-14, 05:52 PM
Is it this?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub

Chachi420
2005-10-14, 08:08 PM
WinDV is free capture software
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=WinDV

willndmb
2005-10-17, 11:29 AM
what vcr do you have with svideo outputs?

saltman
2005-10-17, 11:57 AM
what vcr do you have with svideo outputs?

mine does. jvc. has an input also.

quibbs0
2005-10-29, 02:10 PM
Hi. I'm trying to make a DVD from MiniDV. My plan is to extract it to my computer in uncompressed AVI using WinDV.

I Have soundforge so I can extract wav audio and do the editing I need.

From there I have a Wav and uncompressed AVI....anyone know the best way to get the two back together to form a DVD? Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

AAR.oner
2005-10-30, 08:24 AM
you'll need a DVD authoring program...these can range from a few buckz to a thousand buckz...the one i've *heard* is good for cheap is TMPGEnc DVD Author

pawel
2005-10-30, 11:23 AM
TMPGEnc DVD Author doesn't work with AVIs. You need to convert AVI to MPG2 format first or use other authoring programmes like Adobe Encore (accepts only standard video resolution, unless patched), Mediachance DVD-Lab. More at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools

saltman
2005-10-30, 12:19 PM
you can use TMPGEnc Xpress to convert the avi to mpg2, using the source converter. and TMPGEnc is one of the easiest to use DVD authoring programs out there.

However, if you didn't edit your waves perfectly in Soundforge you're gonna need something like Vegas to synch them up first.

ColinM
2005-10-30, 12:26 PM
Does Vegas support bringing in .vob video and .wav audio from separate sources to do a sync? I've got this sweet video with horrible audio and the matching audio in .wav.

Can it do that? I may have to invest...

yeltzin_4
2005-11-01, 07:40 AM
Hi. I'm trying to make a DVD from MiniDV. My plan is to extract it to my computer in uncompressed AVI using WinDV.

I Have soundforge so I can extract wav audio and do the editing I need.

From there I have a Wav and uncompressed AVI....anyone know the best way to get the two back together to form a DVD? Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

1. You need an video encoder. I'd recommend CCE Basic. At $58 it's a steal.
http://www.cinemacraft.com/eng/basic.html - It's one of the fastest encoders out there and the quality is superb at high bitrates. The 'basic' version restricts the number of encoding passes to 2 but that should be enough for most situations.

2. You can leave the audio from your DV uncompressed or you can can encode it to mp2 or ac3.

3. Once you've encoded your video (and optionally your audio) you will need to 'author' it. At this stage you can create a menu, chapter points etc.
I'd recommend DVD-Lab. http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html - $99

saltman
2005-11-01, 11:23 AM
Does Vegas support bringing in .vob video and .wav audio from separate sources to do a sync? I've got this sweet video with horrible audio and the matching audio in .wav.

Can it do that? I may have to invest...

vegas does not support .vob input. DVD Lab does though.
however, you can use TMPGenc to demultiplex the vob to elementary streams. (m2v and wav)
and then muliplex them back to .mp2
This will input into Vegas fine. Once you have the video/w old audio you can line it up with your new audio and then go from there.

jinkas
2005-11-04, 03:21 PM
I got some DVDs in a trade recently where the menus don't work at all. No matter where I click or how many times I click there it doesn't make any difference. I want to fix these menus, but I have never authored a DVD and I have no idea where to start. Can you all give me some tips? Software suggestions would be nice, as well as a basic rundown of how things should be done. If there are articles that help with this sort of thing on videohelp.com just point me there and I'll poke around, but I would also enjoy hearing what you folks have to say. Thanks!

Five
2005-11-04, 03:32 PM
videohelp.com
doom9.org

hope this helps I've never done this before either

pawel
2005-11-04, 05:55 PM
If you don't want fancy and complicated tool, the best and cheapest is TMPGEnc DVD Author: http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

You will need to make a menu from scratch (templates) but TMPGEnc can use existing chapter points, unless video structure is corrupted.

nibbles
2005-11-07, 11:05 AM
Fixing menus is a dead end street. There are a couple of programs out there that claim to do it, but they are weak, oftentimes crippled or buggy.

What you want to do is rip the video and audio off the DVD, then use a DVD authoring program to remux the video and audio, create menus, and output a new VIDEO_TS folder with your new DVD in there.

Rip DVD to hard drive: DVD Decrypter
Author DVD on comp: TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA), or Adobe Encore, or ULead.

Authoring software isn't free, but TDA is very easy to use, does a great job, and has a trial period of a month (or was it 14 days).

DVD Decrypter is free and well respected. There are plenty of tutorials out there to help you use this. You have to click about 15 things to demux the
DVD into video and audio files. It's moderately difficult. You're trying to make m2v and mpa files. The video and audio is in those.

Both of those programs, DVDDecrypter and TDA, don't hurt the video or audio in any way, because they don't re-encode them in this situation.

Good luck, nibs :wave:

nibbles
2005-11-07, 11:30 AM
Hey folks,
I'm doing a few VHS transfers to DVD like this:

VHS > Samsung standalone DVD-R > DVD Decrypter > Harddrive > TDA > DVD

No SVHS and TBC unfortunately, but you do what you can. So my questions are do I have
to deinterlace using an IVTC filter? I guess it depends on if it's really interlaced or not.
Do I determine that via GSpot or just by looking for the jagged edges?

I know 8000 kbps is a good bitrate, but is 4000 kbps ok around here for a vhs transfer?
My tape has only average video quality.

And my final question is what app has the best set of menu templates?
TDA is ok, so is Encore, but they are still pretty meager. Haven't tried
anything from ULEAD or Sony. Thanks!

nibs

AAR.oner
2005-11-07, 12:02 PM
in my opinon, 4.0Mbps is kinda low...usually i don't go under 6.0Mpbs...depends really on length of video, also if yer gonna use CBR or VBR of course...

as for deinterlacing, i would try both...sometimes, a computer monitor will show interlacing problems, but on a TV it'll be straight...so typically, i'll burn both and compare on a few different setups

EDIT--depending on what A/D conversion yer using, most likely you shouldn't need to deinterlace

Five
2005-11-07, 12:08 PM
do ppl usually deinterlace? vlc can do it on the fly, maybe just leave it interlaced. you can spot it if you snap a screencap during a part with motion.

AAR.oner
2005-11-07, 12:11 PM
^^^what Five said

ssamadhi97
2005-11-07, 08:11 PM
IVTC should be unneccessary for concert recordings in almost all cases (since they're recorded at true 60 fields per second, not at 24 frames per second which is pretty much the only thing that requires telecine to be applied)

bigwurock
2005-11-11, 05:41 PM
well this thing has me confiused...can anyone help me out by going through a step prcess on making menues..just basic ones are fine right now...i can't even get my playlist to a menue page.....i have the chapter markers done for the video but ..even when i hit the add playlist button, it just has the name i saved it as..can't do anything with it...basically right now i want a menue page that has a credit,setlist, and play on the first menue page..
thanks...

saltman
2005-11-14, 12:42 PM
this is gonna be rough because I'm at work.

file> new project
set to ntsc widescreen, pcm or whatever your want in the end. (remember the bitrate calc discussions prior, you can change the project settings later if you so choose BTW)
right click on menu and add background media.
drag you prerendered mpg onto the menu screen.
should show up an image and text. click on this and one of the options on the right is to only have text. make text read PLAY.
double click on PLAY. on right set media to be your mpg(should already be there) and audio your .wav (because you rendered separately, right :))
use the slider at the bottom to hit "M" to set your tracks (unless you already did this in vegas and clicked the retain marker box. I always do this in DVDA and not Vegas BTW)
Once your tracks are set you can go back to your menu page
right click on the menu on the left and select add setlist menu(not sure what the exact words are but you'll see what I'm talking about)
This will add another page with the links you selected before. (setlist page)
you can copy the play button and rename the copied one setlist.
On the right side of the screen are the adjustments to redirect the link to your setlist page.
you will do the same copy and adjust to set up your credits page.
pay attention to your end actions. they set what happens when it ends. Do you want it to go to the next menu, end, go to the beg..., etc.
if you click on play on the right side will be the highlite section. I use a text mask overlay so that when you click on play it turns colors... but doesn't have the rectangle selection box.
you can preview what you've done at anytime with the preview button
when you satisified hit the prepare DVD button.
Here is where you want to make the proper selections to not rerender your video files.

I know it's a lot of info.... that's kinda an overview. I think it will come to you once you've gotten started.

jinkas
2005-11-14, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the help, but it turns out that my problem was bigger than just broken menus--I couldn't rip the DVDs using DVD Decrypter, copy them using Nero, or transfer the files using Windows.

showtaper
2005-11-14, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the help, but it turns out that my problem was bigger than just broken menus--I couldn't rip the DVDs using DVD Decrypter, copy them using Nero, or transfer the files using Windows.

Sounds like DVDs made on a stand-alone recorder. If the discs are not finalized properly, they will not work in a computer DVD drive. Most programs and Windows will act as if the disc is empty or report some type of sector errors.

About the only way to fix this is to play the DVDs on a player and capture the video. This sucks as you are re-encoding the video and audio again.

The best solution is to have the trader replace the discs.

I use TMPGenc DVD Author, it isn't the fanciest, but it will import DVD files and let you create new menus and set new chapters without re-encoding the video/audio stream.....

triplethreat112
2005-11-19, 06:27 PM
im having problems, and i could use some help....the problem is...that i downloaded a couple of shows, and say one of the seasons that i downloaded is more than one disc. so i burn the first disc, every thing is fine and perfect. i delete the files that ive already burned so that i can burn whats left. and there is where i run into the problem. the first disc is fine, then when i go burn the second one it will burn but i go to play it and i ge tnothing.

so im wondering what im doing wrong. i download the show convert them and then i burn them. if the first disc burns with no problems why am i getting nothing on the second.

[email protected]
aim-triplethreat112
shaun :confused:

triplethreat112
2005-11-20, 10:37 AM
anyone???? i cant split up discs...i am desperate for help

U2Lynne
2005-11-20, 11:27 AM
What format are the shows in? That will help out if you want people to help. I know that for the movies we have here, they are all in VIDEO_TS folders and you can't just 'split' them up like that. You would need to use something to shrink them to fit onto one disc.

If there are forums at the site you downloaded this from, you may get more response.

triplethreat112
2005-11-20, 01:49 PM
the shows are in video_ts form. i downloaded them from tvtorrents.com then i used divxtodvd to convert it so i can burn it on nero. so yeah that would be my problem, is that i would need something so that i can convert them so they can fit on one disk. but how? thats the problem. and nobody at a number of forums have gotten back to me.. so your the first. so if you have ideas please let me know.

thanks for the reply.

shaun

U2Lynne
2005-11-20, 02:38 PM
On a Mac, I would use Popcorn to shrink a dual-layer dvd VIDEO_TS folder down so I could burn it on my single-layer DVD writer. I'm trying to think of what you use on a PC.... DVD Shrink or something like that. I would look over at videohelp.com under the Lists > Tools page.

shc
2005-11-29, 03:52 PM
Hi all,
Im going to be workin on transferring a bunch of dv tapes to dvd soon, Most will be shared here at some point. Im trying to get an idea of what software people like to use.
Ive used premiere for capturing and tmpgenc for converting to dvd then tmpgen dvd author to author. Im fine with the quality up until the dvd authoring, I know I can do alot better menus but I need to know what good software is. The menus with the warnign logos and whatnot are great!
Any advice would be very appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Mike

saltman
2005-11-29, 04:15 PM
Sony DVD Architect 3.0c and Vegas Video 6.0c are very popular. You won't need Vegas if your comfortable with Premiere. DVDA can do those logo menus you like easily.

fudiesel
2005-11-30, 09:05 PM
Does anyone happen to know if there is software available where I can take an authored DVD, rip the video and the menu and then edit everything?

For example, I have a Radiohead DVD that has a 1997 show and a 2003 show. I want to remove the 2003 show and add a 1998 show to the DVD. Then (if it's even possible), I want to edit the Menu. I kind of want to keep the shows as close as possible to the years......if anyone has a name to the software, I would really appreciate it.....

gsmyth79
2005-11-30, 10:24 PM
You don't want to do that if you don't know what you're doing. For one, the software is wicked expensive. You could probably find someone around here who can help you out though.

pawel
2005-12-01, 08:44 PM
Was hundred times here: the easiest and cheapest is TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6. However, you can import to it a DVD, better is to demux video files, i.e. with PVAStrumento.

gsmyth79
2005-12-02, 12:11 AM
Was hundred times here: the easiest and cheapest is TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6. However, you can import to it a DVD, better is to demux video files, i.e. with PVAStrumento.

Oh yeah, I don't have a PC so I don't use that program.

PintOfGuinness2
2005-12-07, 05:33 PM
Help please I'm running Vegas 6.0 on my laptopHooked up my Sony DCRPC-109 via ieee 1394 port. REcgnized by the comp in Windows explorer as "sony DV Camcorder" Am not able to get Vegas to recognize the camera when I try to cature through Vegas I get "device not availabe" meanwhile I am able to use the cheesy capture program that came with my Sony Digicam, pixela or picture package or whatever. I am able to use that to capture then open the avi's in Vegas but 1st the fucking program captures 10 minute clps and then pauses, doesn't seem to be any settings to change that, plus Im sure that's not the optimum Capture program. Any help for this noob will be greatly appreciated

saltman
2005-12-07, 05:39 PM
there was a bunk cracked version of 6.0b that could not initialize the vidcap6.exe properly. you need to upgrade to 6.0c and I bet everything work properly.

PintOfGuinness2
2005-12-07, 05:49 PM
yeah um for reasons that Im sure I don't need to go into I probably shouldn't upgrade onnline. How about this WinDV freeware?? any good or should I just try upgrading and see what happens. Thanks for the help BTW

saltman
2005-12-07, 06:05 PM
never used winDV... you've gotta be able to find vegas somewhere I would think.
not literaly upgrading.

PintOfGuinness2
2005-12-07, 06:09 PM
Yeah you're right that's the way to go. After I try the first set for this project with WinDV i will get a non-broken Vegas 6.0c. IT's gotta be a software issue since every other capture program, or utility is recognizing my cam. Thanks for the help

PintOfGuinness2
2005-12-07, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the help man. Greatly appreciated

PintOfGuinness2
2005-12-08, 09:23 PM
OK sorry everyone I got a few more questions here. First of all Aspect Ratio. Seems like there's an option to select aspect ratio at every step from shooting to burning the dvd. I have footage that I shot Widescreen want to author a DVD that is also widescreen. Between capturing, starting a project on vegas, rendering a project from vegas, opening rendered mpg on DVD architect and creating the DVD there are 5 instance when you select aspect ratio. AHHH what do I do? is there a tuturial somewhere?? Made several attempts and AR has been messed up both extremes (reverse letterbox and "too stretched") with so many options though I can't figure out which one Im making a mistake on. Somone else must have had this problem and has an easy answer for me.

Chachi420
2005-12-08, 11:47 PM
Re: 4:3 to widescreen question
Well, I just wrote out a detailed explanation but closed the browser before clicking 'post reply'.
Here's a brief explanation while it's on my mind...
1. File > Properties > Video tab >NTSC DV Widescreen
2. Right click the video file > properties > Media tab > 1.2121 Widescreen aspect ratio. Then look at the Video Event tab and look at the 'Maintain Aspect Ratio and make sure it is either checked or unchecked depending on the situation. (I think just from memory that you need to have it unchecked)
3. Right click the video preview and check the Simulate Device Aspect Ratio.
4. Crop the 4:3 Video to 16:9 by clicking on the Crop Icon on the video file (right side). Select the 16:9 preset from the dropdown menu.

Best option is to first film it in widescreen (16:9) then you just skip step 4.

If it is filmed in 4:3 and "cinema mode" is either not used or not even an option on your camera, then you will need to use 'pan and scan' to crop it to 16:9 to keep the desired portion of the video in the screen (and not cropped out)...

Note: If you're multicam mixing with Excalibur4.5 script (or free script DoubleTake), render each video first to 16:9 then add the video files to the Multicam mix. I tried doing the cropping after multi cam mixing, but it wouldn't let me. In other words, get all of the aspect ratios correct, then start the mixing (I guess that's only logical too).

Anyway, I hope that helps some...

Chachi420
2005-12-09, 12:29 AM
Since you filmed this in 16:9 it is very easy, just follow the steps 1-3 above. The stretching was caused by not (un)selecting the maintain aspect ratio button most likely (step 2). The letterboxing was caused by not doing step 1 most likely. Good luck and ask if you have other questions...

hint: rather than wait the 3 hrs or so it takes to render the whole video, just select a very small portion of the video for the loop region and render that just to test to see if the aspect ratio turns out OK for you first, if so, then render the whole thing....just a little time saver

scarface5011
2005-12-17, 09:42 AM
I have a DVD of a DUO performance. The audio is what was captured by the cam during the recording. I also have a soundboard of the same show. How does one create a matrix of both audio tracks, and then add it back to the picture? Or, how can I replace the soundboard audio with the cam audio? Which program is capable of such feats???

Thanks a lot!! If all goes well, and I get some answers, I could create a 4-27-05 GA Theatre 52 minute FOAM 1st set Duo/Mike Gordon DVD with audience/sdbd mix!!!

gsmyth79
2005-12-17, 10:40 AM
the cam audio isn't that great. what percentage would you put it into the mix?

there are a bunch of excellent DVD authors here. unidecker comes to mind immediately. contact him and he will probably be able to help you out.

scarface5011
2005-12-17, 04:48 PM
I don't know about what %age I'd do for a mix. I just thought it might sound kinda cool. Mike's sound really cuts through on the DVD audio, even though its a little shotty. It really isn't that bad sounding, but the sndbd Phish.com released is great! But, Mike's sound is a little off in some places. For instance, right before he really lays down some super impressive lines, he turns to his amp to turn it up, and its apparent that's what he does when watching the video. He's instantly louder and he cuts through well. However, on the sdbd version, I listened for that part cuz his playing for that 30 or so seconds is some of the most impressive work I've ever heard him do on Foam or anything (just personal, since I too play the broom). The sound on the livephish recording doesn't get louder right there, it kinda gets quieter. So, for keeping with the "feel" of being at a live show and what that sounds like, but to have more clarity from the soundboard, a matrix of the two might be super cool!!! The question is how cool, and what mix? I'd have to experiment with the sound, I like to think I have a pretty good ear since I've been playing music for 10 years now (I'm 29) and have really been paying attention to a lot in that time.

Thanks man!! I'm looking for all and any advice, I'd love to be able to get this project going soon! More good vid and sound for everybody is good for me, I just want to share the goodness!

AAR.oner
2005-12-18, 09:34 AM
any DVD authoring software will do this...on PCs you've got everything from TMPGEnc [less than $100] up to Sony DVD Architect or Adobe Encore [both are "pro-level" software]---for Mac, DVD studio Pro...

to do the matrix, you really need an audio editing program...and as for matrix percentages, i'd start at around 70-80% soundboard and then adjust to taste...i hope you are using a quality soundcard as well as studio-grade monitors &/or headphones--otherwise you really won't know what it truly sounds like...

also, and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure the Duo & phish.com sndbd's are "hands off" in regards to using for boots...just a fwiw if you care about the artists' wishes

Zeromancer
2005-12-18, 12:38 PM
DVD lab Pro

gsmyth79
2005-12-18, 02:11 PM
also, and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure the Duo & phish.com sndbd's are "hands off" in regards to using for boots...just a fwiw if you care about the artists' wishes
This would definitely not be for BT or for trading. Personal use only with LP SBDs.

scarface5011
2005-12-18, 07:39 PM
oh yah, damn, forgot about the licensing with Livephish recordings. Well, darnit all!! Might play around with it anyway, or, try to get the sound on the DVD better. Thanks for everyone's help, at least now I have an idea of what to get into.

bigwurock
2005-12-26, 10:48 AM
have the program and alot of standalone dvd recordings that need new audio...but i am lost at getting tmpgenc to work...can anyone walk me through it or know where some directions are for the program...have fought it for a week now with no luck!...thanks to everyone.!

diggrd
2005-12-26, 08:50 PM
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/tmpgenc_basic_guide_page_3.cfm

saltman
2005-12-27, 01:58 PM
your gonna want to use tmpgenc express. got to the mpeg tools button. demultiplex the .vob files to .m2v and wav. use vegas or audacity or soundforge or whatever your familiar with to match up the two audios exactly, stretching if required. Then remultiplex the new audio with the .m2v. This will allow you to add the audio without rerendering the video. Then you can use whatever program you want to author menus for the new mpeg2 files.

bigwurock
2005-12-27, 03:30 PM
your gonna want to use tmpgenc express. got to the mpeg tools button. demultiplex the .vob files to .m2v and wav. use vegas or audacity or soundforge or whatever your familiar with to match up the two audios exactly, stretching if required. Then remultiplex the new audio with the .m2v. This will allow you to add the audio without rerendering the video. Then you can use whatever program you want to author menus for the new mpeg2 files.

do i have to demultiplex the .vob files to .m2v and wav....cant i just add the video if i am going to add new audio????..i am using vegas

saltman
2005-12-27, 03:37 PM
to my knowledge vegas doesn't recognize .vob files. or .m2v files. It only takes like 5 minutes to demux. you should only be using vegas to lineup/stretch the audio. Then export that new audio. Open tmpgenc back up than remultiplex the two together back into an mpeg2 file, which you can author with TMPGenc DVD author or DVD Architect or whatever else. There are some programs which can read the .vob files. DVDlab and I think Adobe Premiere for instance. It may be possible to open the .vob in those, input your second audio, and reprepare the files using the existing menus... I find DVDLab hard to use but there are people here who know how to use it.

bigwurock
2005-12-27, 03:42 PM
i used TMPGENC to get the dvd onto my harddrive, then i put that into sony vegas and now am trying to synch up the new audio..then i go back to TMPGENC to redo the dvd with the new audio ..would this be right..?

saltman
2005-12-27, 03:47 PM
yeah I think you've got it.

basically a .vob file is a .mp2 and .wav usually. you're gonna break it into these elementary streams so you can work on the .wav files with vegas, sf, etc... that can't work with them when they are combined. Then you're gonna have two wav files in vegas, sf, etc. cut out any xtras, etc... to make them EXACTLY the same length with the same start and stop point. This way they will stay exaclty in synch (assuming it was in synch to begin with). If the video is out of synch to begin with there are xtra steps. Once you have your new audio cropped, stretched, etc... you can combine it back with the video into a mpeg2 file (using tmpgenc) which than can be authored with any program. This will allow you to use your new audio without reencoding the video.

that afterdawn link above is the multiplex function of TMPGenc xpress.

bigwurock
2005-12-27, 04:15 PM
ok thanks for the info..i am going to give it a try!!!

sadhed
2005-12-29, 09:13 PM
I captured a killer show the other night.Derek Trucks Band,seeing how there is very little of thier stuff in circulation I would love to spread this far and wide.I have a killer audio source and a great video with some great close ups,and high quality camera.I am new to this realm.I have no idea how to sync the audio and video.I also have no idea how to torrent it.I would appreciate any help or assitance if somebody would like to take on the project.Well worth your time I am sure.Thanks
Here are some screen shots

sadhed
2005-12-29, 09:17 PM
I am going to snag the video from camera and put it on a DVD disc.The audio from the camera is really good,but the audio source I want to import is a whole lot better.I have the audio on disc already.All is ready to go.Is this something somebody has to do that is really familiar with the band.Songs setlist.There were a few breaks in the filming process.Tape flips etc.So I am sure the audio and video wont be exact.Thanks for any suggestions or if anybody can help with this project.
:D

Chachi420
2005-12-29, 09:19 PM
Awesome! :clap: :D Did you use a tripod? Those shots look fantastic! The best way to synch video/audio is probably using sony vegas/architect...there have already been other threads on this issue but when I get time later, I can try to help...maybe somone else will chime in here for you.