PDA

View Full Version : DVD Transfer & Authoring?

Pages : 1 [2]

sadhed
2005-12-29, 09:25 PM
Here are a few more screen shots

sadhed
2005-12-29, 09:31 PM
No tripod,but the cool thing was I was in the balcony at the rail,and was able to rest it on my lap.Very stable for most part,but was moving camera when the music changed and shifting agles for close ups.Camera was not shaky or up and down for the most part like hand held because it was resting on leg.Very well shot with some great angles.Thanks Chachi ~ looking forward to working with ya ~ maybe.I understand if you are too busy.
I dont have Vegas,prob the only program I dont have.Thanks for the input :clap:

sadhed
2005-12-29, 09:33 PM
email me if anybody is interested in lending a hand
[email protected]

MrRlphy
2005-12-30, 01:19 AM
amazing..I cant wait...I wish I knew how to do stuff like that

willndmb
2005-12-30, 11:30 AM
i could prob try and help you out but like you said if you are not fam with the songs its a little harder so if someone else is they can have at it

ween4me
2005-12-31, 02:42 PM
As mentioned before, you can use Sony Vegas to synch the two parts up. I just did so for my first time and it came out pretty good. Be prepared to spend some time on this, especially if there are video cuts. (you have to resynch the parts up again) In my case I had the same problem plus the video and audio were captured at different speeds.(the audio is slightly faster) So I had to adjust the speed of the audio to match the video. This can all be done in vegas. I'm sure there are other programs so this is just one suggestion.

PintOfGuinness2
2006-01-01, 06:47 PM
OK. I have a few questions I need answers for so I can render a project tonight.
1. I see sources for videos saying that they used 5,6,7 etc. pass VBR for encoding. However as far as I can tell in VEgas there's only and option for 2 pass. How do you render at more then 2 passes? is it possible with Vegas?
2. Can someone please go through the options that I should check for rendering a 720X480 Widescreen DV-capture with Vegas to a mpg, and then the to vobs using Architect. It's confsing because every step of the way there's options for ratio and I often end up with a video that is elongated or reverse letterboxed etc. Does this make sense?? There has to be otehr people out there that get confused with this..
3. Last question Should I render the video in Vegas with the Audio stream or just render the video in Vegas and add the audio stream in Architect during the final DVD authoring???
Thanks so much for anyhelp If I get straightened out tonight I should have the 2nd set of Phil and Friends 12-01-05 available by tommorow evening

PintOfGuinness2
2006-01-01, 06:49 PM
I should note with question 2. I shot in true widescreen 720-480 and want my final authored DVD to be in anamorphic preserving the native ratio of the video

Chachi420
2006-01-01, 07:05 PM
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15471&highlight=aspect+ratio

saltman
2006-01-01, 07:06 PM
1. As far as I am aware Vegas only does 2 pass VBR. You can use an external encoder (bypassing Vegas's internal Mainconcept encoder) with Vegas such as one from Canopus that does 6 pass VBR. That's probably what you've seen.
2. You want to go File Properties and make it NTSC WS with LPCM in vegas. Then when you go File Render the options depend on the length of the disc. You're gonna need a bitrate calculator, use google. You need to render the audio and video separately in Vegas. Start with the filtype mpeg-2, DVDArchitect videostream NTSC WS template. Edit it to use your bitrate choice. Assuming it's less than an hour per disc... use a 2 pass VBR of something like 8200 max, 8100 avg, 8000 min. (I know those numbers are close together but it's been my experience this will have better results than say a 8100 CBR). Then render your audio using the same start and stop points (loop region) using the wav template (48k).
3. You render the video and audio separately in Vegas. Then you combine them with your menus, etc. in DVDA, making sure not to rereder them at this step.

saltman
2006-01-01, 07:07 PM
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15471&highlight=aspect+ratio
beat me to it.. nice info.

Chachi420
2006-01-01, 07:11 PM
beat me to it.. nice info.
your info is better, or at least complimentary...that should be a sticky in the tapers forum

PintOfGuinness2
2006-01-01, 07:24 PM
OK Thanks a lot for the help. Im still a little confused though. When I choose 1.2121 as a pixel size and select "simulate devce ratio" in the preview. The preview resolution ends up being 873X480 which doesn't make any sense right?? if I shoose 1.00 pixel size the preview shows up as 720X480
Also If I have sections of the video that are black or just aslide show wouldn't I benefit from selecting a lower min bitrate??? Since these are still images I would think that 2 high of a bitrate on those sections would be a waste. I have 1:27 minutes of video (10+ minutes of which is a slide show) that I'd like to fit on a DVD5. but am unsure if this will be too poor of a bitrate

Chachi420
2006-01-01, 07:38 PM
I've always just used the default bitrate setting of 6,000,000 max, 4,000,000 avg, 192,000 min....that's probably a little low though now that I think about it...try 8,100,000 max, 8,000,000 avg, and 192,000 min

PintOfGuinness2
2006-01-01, 07:40 PM
That's what I was thinking Chachi. I appreciate all your help I'm doing my best to try and teach myself but don't want to circulate "crap" as a result :-) Thanks again

yeltzin_4
2006-01-02, 12:49 AM
Here's a pretty nifty bitrate calculator. Althought it's designed for TMPGEnc, it's still valid for Vegas Video.
http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html

The most crucial inputs are "Source Length" and "Audio Format".

You say that your video is 1 hour 17 minutes long (excluding the slideshow).
If you use PCM audio (1536 kbit/sec)then your VIDEO bitrate should be as follows:

Maximum 8000 kbit/sec
Average 6250 kbit/sec <--- most inportant number
Minimum 2500 kbit/sec

If you use compressed audio (AC3 at 448 kbit/sec) you can bump up your average and maximum video bitrate by quite a bit...

svenkid
2006-01-15, 11:48 PM
Hey all,
this is my first post to the traders den
Taperssection.com recommended this site bc it would be a better place to ask this question.

I have seen these units that have both a vcr and a dvdr drive on them, and it is described as a vhs > dvd converter. Are these the best way to do this. Ive heard that some ways can mess up the audio/video synch.

any help is much appreciated.

Carl

hopenhower
2006-01-16, 05:01 PM
I've never used those devices you're talking about, but I imagine it doesn't give you much control (if any) over menus, backgrounds, music that plays during the menues, etc. Your best bet is to input the video into your computer. You will either need a tv card or some type of capture device. They have them as pci cards or ones that plug into your USB port. Just plug your vhs player outputs in and use the software that comes with it to record it as a computer video file. Then you can use DVD authoring software to set up the dvd, then burn. I've heard of syncing problems, but I assume if your computer can keep up you shouldn't have any problem. You're going to need a decent computer with a whole lot of hard drive space though.

AAR.oner
2006-01-16, 11:25 PM
its much better to use high-end vhs deck > A/D converter > computer...

a few questions first--what kind of setup are you looking for [how much transferring are you planning to do]? what OS do you use? any editing or dvd authoring progs? how much $ are you willing to spend?

svenkid
2006-01-16, 11:34 PM
Well, Ive decided to maybe hold back on the dvd thing. People on taperssection are saying that since they arent the masters, thats its suspect to begin with, although I would like to transfer at least the 3/13 and 3/14/00 shows just because I was at those shows. I would just be transfering 4 vhs tapes, and maybe just get a vcr player for a TV to watch the rest.

AAR.oner
2006-01-16, 11:40 PM
depends on what shows they are...if there's masters floating around that have already been transferred then i would agree with them...but if its not out there in the trading pool, then it might be worth it...all depends really

there's a number of people around here that can transfer/edit/author *if* its a band they're into and no other DVD of the show exists...you can always post a thread in the Tapers' Forum with the band/date/tape generation/etc and see if ya have any takers

svenkid
2006-01-17, 02:12 AM
done and done, posted in the ISO forum :wave:

MrRlphy
2006-01-27, 06:53 PM
PM me :wave:

Unidecker
2006-01-31, 04:12 PM
email me. unidecker AT gmail DOT com

antichris
2006-02-08, 09:49 AM
i'm into trading DVD's of shows of the bands from around here and was wondering if anyone knew any programs or anything that are useful to create menu's and chapters on DVD's

retired
2006-02-08, 09:55 AM
TMPGEnc 1.6
its good, but a limited softwear in that u can not add music to the menu/song select pages and creating a credits page does not appear to be an option. maybe i just havnt figured these options out yet.

DVD architect 3.0, u can definitely do the music on the pages as well as create a credits page w/ it.

peeps that really know what they're doing use TMPGEnc or something like it to do the chaptering, then use Architect to do the menu's...good luck

mnm6677
2006-02-08, 05:15 PM
I have been trying to sync one of my recent videos to the sbd audio and cant seem to figure it out and was hoping someone could give me some suggestions. I am using vegas 6.0, dvd architect and sound forge 7. I know how to stretch video but cant seem to get them both together. Any help would be appricated. Thank you in advance.

wuhoo
2006-02-08, 07:55 PM
I always like to find a down beat, or somewhere where the drummer hits a symbol, and align using that.... zoom in on the drummer hitting the symbol, look and listen for that sound, align, and you should be good to go..

mnm6677
2006-02-09, 07:12 PM
Thank you wuhoo I will give that a try.

AAR.oner
2006-02-09, 08:20 PM
i would try what wuhoo says *before* adjusting the speed of the video...then you can see if any speed adjust is necessary first..hopefully it'll just be a matter of moving the two on the timeline to sync, and no rate changes

ChrisF
2006-02-12, 02:18 AM
in vegas i usually just look at the waveforms for the sbd audio and camcorder audio and match up similarities by eye.

then i find a spot that looks very clear and zoom in as far as i can and i align them. rather than stretching or messing around with the speed i go to the 30 minute mark (if its a 1 hour tape) and i align it there.

it will start out and end the tape slightly out of sync, but usually for an hours worth of video you cant see it go in and out of sync because its so slight. if you want you can split up the clip and repeat the process at every 10 min mark or between songs but thats not always necessary.

i usually deal with multi camera recordings, so i just resync wherever i feel like it when another camera angle is being shown.

budtastic
2006-02-28, 09:31 PM
I've never done this before, but would like to resynch up a DVD i downloaded here with SBD audio. Is this a tough task? I've been trying to do some research but could use a little help. I think I need to convert the files to .mp4 or something and the audio into .wav? Also, the .VOB files are split into 3 files. Will this work ok? Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

LazyTaper
2006-03-01, 07:13 AM
Use TMPGenc Xpress. Demultiplex the .vob to .m2v and .wav. Then Remultiplex the two elementary streams to mpeg2. Vegas will recognize the resulatant .mpg file.

budtastic
2006-03-01, 07:36 PM
OK cool thanks I'll try that.

81tiger04
2006-03-03, 09:55 AM
Ok, here's what I'm trying to do ...

I have a VHS tape from a couple years ago and would like to convert it to DVD. I know I cannot personally do this but can anyone steer me in the direction of where I should go to get this done? I just need to know if there's a place I can take it that will convert the VHS tape to DVD for me.

After that, I want to take the DVD and get a screen shot (like I see in many of the video threads). I then want to take that screen shot, get it developed, and frame it for a very special birthday present. Would I be able to do capture the screen shot using my personal computer (imac G5)? If not, where could I go to get this done?

This is something that really means a lot to me. PLEASE HELP!

willndmb
2006-03-03, 11:28 AM
why can't you do it?
if you took it to a "place" they will not make a menu and prob charge you enough that you could buy the gear to do it yourself

but yes there are places that do this stuff, i don't know of any big name "store" but check local places, the same places that convert slides to vhs/dvd, pictures to vhs/dvd

if worse comes to worse you can find someone with the gear already to do it for you if they have time

tacoburrito
2006-03-03, 11:33 AM
The easiest way to do this, in my opinion, is to use a stand alone DVD recorder. As long as the tape doesn't have any copy protection on it then you can easily dub it to DVD. And you can use different record rates. If you use 60-90 minute settings you will get the best copy. This seems to be the easiest way to get DVD copies of older VHS tapes. Then you can dump the DVD to the PC and do final editing, chaptering.

81tiger04
2006-03-03, 12:08 PM
i'm not even interested in making menus and chapters. i just want to get a picture from a VHS tape and i know i need to convert it to dvd in order to do so.

Five
2006-03-03, 02:39 PM
if you have a video capture card you can grab 10 seconds, save as uncompressed avi then spit out screen shots using MPC or VLC no DVD necessary

lordyfan
2006-03-09, 08:00 AM
Hi there,

Here's what i think is the best way of doing what you want to do.

1: Obviously, hook up your vcr to a standalone dvd recorder [by scart for better quality and ease of use]

2: record your stuff

3: finalize your dvd [to make it readable on other players/p.c's]

4: use nero burning rom in your p.c [i use nero 6.63 and power dvd player] when you use either power dvd or nero showtime, click on the camera function to make your screen shots.

hope thats of some use, if you have any probs, e-mail me

[email protected]

Syco54645
2006-03-09, 08:25 AM
one should note that a standalone usually ends up pixelating the video like crazy. i feel that a capture card is the only way to go with this.

-Syco54645

81tiger04
2006-03-14, 10:59 AM
I just downloaded the following files (i know it's from another site but i really need help asap!) and want to burn them to dvd using Toast 7. I chose the video option and then dragged and dropped the files into the appropriate area. When i click to burn them, though, it says it can't burn the audio files. Can i burn these files? If so, how do i do it? please help ASAP!! i've got an imac g5.

The_OC_S03E01.avi 347 M
The_OC_S03E02.avi 346.77 M
The_OC_S03E03.avi 347.94 M
The_OC_S03E04.avi 349.91 M
The_OC_S03E05.avi 349.77 M
The_OC_S03E06.avi 347.48 M
The_OC_S03E07.avi 350.84 M
The_OC_S03E08.avi 349.93 M
The_OC_S03E09.avi 349.98 M
The_OC_S03E10.avi 350.2 M
The_OC_S03E11.avi 348.65 M
The_OC_S03E12.avi 350.34 M
The_OC_S03E13.avi 349.77 M
The_OC_S03E14.avi 349.97 M
The_OC_S03E15.avi 349.62 M

ffooky
2006-03-14, 11:39 AM
I saw your post on the Roxio forum (including a hyperlink to torrentspy was a very bad move and I strongly suggest you remove it)

I'm guessing your problem is that these files have AC3 audio and the solution is to install the AC3 component from here (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=83360) in /Library/QuickTime.

81tiger04
2006-03-14, 12:30 PM
thanks for the heads up ...

so by downloading that codec, i'll be able to burn those files to DVD? is there anything else i need to do??

81tiger04
2006-03-14, 12:38 PM
do i just drag and drop the files and then click to burn?

ffooky
2006-03-14, 12:51 PM
When you say burn to DVD, if you mean convert to DVD format (mpeg2), then yes (probably) but you'll need to compromise on quality if you want to fit more than 4-6 episodes on a disc, given that mpeg4->mpeg2 is already going to degrade things.

You're much better off getting a DivX/XviD compatible DVD player and just burning them to a DVD data disc. That way you'll fit around 12 episodes per disc with no loss in quality. If you're in NTSC land you can kill two birds with one stone and get a PAL-compatible player so you can watch DVD torrents from TTD on your TV without the lossy conversion to NTSC.

81tiger04
2006-03-14, 01:12 PM
i'm doing it for my girlfriend. she tapes (yes she uses a VCR) each episode and then watches them over and over. i want to put them on a DVD for her.

ffooky
2006-03-14, 01:46 PM
In that case drag the AVI files into Toast's video window (DVD Video selected in the options drawer), create a menu if you like, set the auto/continuous play options and then hit the More button to set the remaining options. If you leave the Automatic encoding option selected you'll get 2-2 1/2 hours on a disc. If you want to fit more on you can select Custom encoding and lower the bitrates in More->Encoding but you'll probably want to try saving as a disc image (cmd-D) rather than burning so you can inspect the quality.

Alternatively, how about one of these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000204SWE/102-2836240-2153728?v=glance&n=172282) as a late Valentines pressie ?

81tiger04
2006-03-14, 03:17 PM
thank you!!

gsv107
2006-04-01, 02:56 PM
I have two sets of dvd fles tha I'd like to combine onto one disc. However, one set is PAL, the other NTSC. TMPGEnc DVD AUTHOR will not let me combine them. Any idea on how to convert one of these to the other format so that I can combine them?

Thanks!

AAR.oner
2006-04-02, 07:20 AM
http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=&howtoselect=4%3B41&orderby=Date&listall=1&hits=25&archive=0&listallusers=&search=Search+or+List+Guides

check some of the guides listed in the link above

pigebear
2006-04-04, 04:22 PM
I was able to sync up the video in the beining or end but it goes out of sync at the other end by less than a beat

Tapeworm
2006-04-04, 06:07 PM
I was able to sync up the video in the beginning or end but it goes out of sync at the other end by less than a beat

Seems like either:
Your video was transferred with some dropped frames or
Your audio is off-speed, which can happen on purpose, or because of variations in recording/replay speeds. Recordings from a hard disc recorder or mini-disc aren't very susceptible to this but cassettes, DAT and video sources are.

I've been lucky sometimes that I've been able to have one long audio file and one long video file, and then simply grabbed the tail end of one, digitally speaking, and stretching it to fit. I've found that stretching out video results in some weird artifacting, so if it's only a quarter-beat difference, I'm better off time-shortening the audio track just a hair. Synch up at the beginning and push/pull the track at the end.

Good luck, it's trial and error. Or if your problem is dropped frames, try re-doing your video transfer if possible.

dirtfloorcracker
2006-04-10, 08:48 AM
I know there are a lot of threads already on this subject, and I've searched and read quite a few of them, but I still have a few questions on Sony Vegas 6 for synching audio with video. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a great show I just recorded digitally using a mini-DV camcorder. I also have the flac audio files for the show from an audio taper. My question is this: Do I decompress the flac files and import the WAV files? By doing this, I would be importing multiple tracks, since the audio is already split up. Is this how folks normally do this, or is it better to import one big WAV file that isnt split up?

I know I will have to synch the audio with the video, so my question is, if there are multiple audio tracks, and I move one to line it up with the video, do all the other audio tracks move with it? I assume they would if they were all selected, but again, Im not familiar with this program and just wondered how people normally do this.

I am going out to buy a book on Vegas to read, and plan on spending quite a bit of time using this project to learn the program. Does anyone have any suggestions on a book, besides the manual, thats a good research tool for a novice?

Thanks so much for any input on these topics!

saltman
2006-04-10, 09:31 AM
It doesn't matter if it's one track or separate tracks. You will input the video with its audio and then all the audio tracks onto a timeline. You will then use the camera audio as a reference to line up your new audio tracks. They should flow from one to the next assuming the recording has no breaks in it. I would suggest making your synch point in the middle of the film. You're gonna find out that if the video and the audio were digital sourced they will synch up perfectly. Vegas will snap the end and begining of your new audio to make it continuous. You want to decompress the flac to wav first. Vegas won't recognize the compressed files.

dirtfloorcracker
2006-04-10, 09:41 AM
Thanks Saltman, that helps! While we're on this, please allow me to ask a couple more ???'s So after I line up the audio, what happens to the camera audio? Is there a way to turn it off, or do I delete it?

Next, I only have one break in the video, where I had to do a tape change. I assume I will have to re-synch that last patch of video the same way I did the first. My question is, since the audio will not be broken where the video was from the tape change, I guess I will just have a few seconds of blank screen where there's no video? I hope that makes sense.

bigwurock
2006-04-10, 11:55 AM
Thanks Saltman, that helps! While we're on this, please allow me to ask a couple more ???'s So after I line up the audio, what happens to the camera audio? Is there a way to turn it off, or do I delete it?

Next, I only have one break in the video, where I had to do a tape change. I assume I will have to re-synch that last patch of video the same way I did the first. My question is, since the audio will not be broken where the video was from the tape change, I guess I will just have a few seconds of blank screen where there's no video? I hope that makes sense.

yes you are right...you can mute the camcorder audio and when you render the new audio will be in place of the camcorder..you can put in some pictures in the blank part of your video...better than just blank screens...

saltman
2006-04-10, 02:35 PM
The mute button is on the left side of the timeline. There will be one for each track. Just mute the cam audio when you render and it will not be present in the new file. Pictures are good for gaps. (think slideshow). It looks good if you change them every 5 seconds or so. So you'll need a few depending on the gap length. I like to time the change with a change in the music.

Another option is to use a place in the video that you can reuse. For instance. You may be able to clip a crowd shot in and blend it where you don't know it came from another place in the video. Unless there is something really identifiable about the shot you can probably repeat the shot and not notice. So the video pans to the crowd show where you gap is. Does that make sense? Yes you would synch the second part just like the first one.

GOOD LUCK. It's really not hard when you get to it. It just takes a lot of words to describe what you can do in two seconds.

PrismatriX
2006-04-10, 03:02 PM
Thank you Saltman.
I actually had the same question and was going to search the threads and voila...1st page!

pigebear
2006-04-10, 05:38 PM
I would suggest making your synch point in the middle of the film. You're gonna find out that if the video and the audio were digital sourced they will synch up perfectly. .
I have a mini dv that I recorded (sony hc96) and audio(multi track 24/96)
I thought everything would sync right up also. but if you sync the start the end is just a little ahead of the audio if i sync the center the begin and end are both slightly off . Is this because of dropped frames

bigwurock
2006-04-10, 05:47 PM
I have a mini dv that I recorded (sony hc96) and audio(multi track 24/96)
I thought everything would sync right up also. but if you sync the start the end is just a little ahead of the audio if i sync the center the begin and end are both slightly off . Is this because of dropped frames

do you have some dropped frames..??..i know eveyone kinda does it different...i alway start right at the begining of the video...i also use seperate audio tracks...track1, track 2 ect..sometimes you do have to stretch or shrink the audio tracks to line them up with the video...but that is how i do it...like i said everyone has their way of doing it...

rocknroll
2006-04-16, 10:42 PM
I have a few Hendrix clips that I'd like to compile onto one DVD. I'm new at burning DVDs and I'm anxious to learn all this stuff.

They are relatively short segments, a few songs each. Four of them are in MPEG format, but one I got in DVD format from a torrent. It was already authored so it's a .VOB file. I would especially like to pair this with one of the MPEGs on a DVD beacause they are from both from B&W euro TV broadcasts the same week, 5-11-67 & 5-18-67. 5-18-67 is the .VOB file.

As far as actual authoring, menu creating, etc. I've only used Roxio DVD Creator. I use Nero to burn DVDs that are already formatted. When I added this .VOB file to the DVD in Roxio, it told me if I edited it the audio would be lost, and I didn't worry because I didn't plan to edit the clip. But on the DVD I burned there is no audio on that clip. I got something called TMPGE studio for authoring, but that wouldn't let me add the .VOB.

Could I possibly resolve the sound thing by converting the .VOB to an MPEG and then re-formatting it in Roxio along with the rest of the MPEGs? If so what program could I use to convert it? Or is there an easier way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dirtfloorcracker
2006-04-20, 08:26 AM
I have a show I recorded on a Mini DV camcorder that I want to capture using Vegas 6 and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers.

I will be using a firewire DV cord from the camera to the built-in firewire port on my computer. My video is about an hour and twenty minutes. How much free space do I need on my HD for this? I have an 80GB HD, with about 60GB free. Is that enough? I have a book on Vegas 6 that Im reading, but I like to also get feedback from folks here with experience.

I read in the book that Vegas compresses the video to make the size smaller. What settings/preferences should I use to maintain the highest video quality?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of? I have read about people having problems with dropped frames. Hopefully I wont have that problem as I have a pretty powerful computer and will be capturing to the internal HD. I have never done this, but I think I have everything else in place to get started.

Thanks in advance for any help with these issues...

AAR.oner
2006-04-20, 08:52 AM
60GB should be fine for 1.5hr of footage...on average, one hour of raw video will be ~12 gigs

Vegas shouldn't be compressing the footage on capture... :hmm: maybe their talking about its compression codecs when exporting for authoring?

i capture to .dv, which is a "raw" video format...you'll adjust the preferences to the format you recorded in [i.e. NTSC 4:3, etc]...

--you can also set the "clip size" and limit it to capture 10 min clips, or 30min, or unlimited--for a live show i usually set it to unlimited just to make sync easier...
--disabling the "video preview while capturing" can help alleviate dropped frames, glitches, etc.
--having a decent amount of RAM is important...i'm guessing Vegas is like FCP--a minimum of 1GB, but 2+ is even better
--and of course, its best to not have other progs/processes running in the background while capturing

saltman
2006-04-20, 09:30 AM
When in Capture menu. Go to options and disable Scene Detection. This will allow for one continuous capture. Vegas is gonna capture one 12GB .avi as noted above pre hour roughly. When you render you will create another 3.5 GB file plus 1 GB for PCM audio Then you will need another 5 GB per DVD5 or 9 GB per DVD9 for the authored DVD. SO you will need roughly 12GB(capture), 1GB(new audio), 4.5Gb(rendered files), 5GB(authored DVD). Which is about 20GB per DVD.

AS far as capturing.... Just plugin your cam (it will need to be in VCR mode)and Vegas will popup the capture menu. Then select capture all from beginning of tape.

Good luck... You're gonna use DVD ARchitect to author the DVD. Capturing is half the fun. :wave:

dirtfloorcracker
2006-04-20, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the input guys, on this and my earlier thread on audio synch. I should be able to make this happen now!

hanshak2015
2006-04-21, 03:14 PM
Hi,

you'll need VOB files in the end anyway, so I wouldn't recommend re-encoding VOBs into another MPG-Format. I use Ulead DVD Factory a lot, it's not top-of-the-pops but it allows for easy menu creation and importing of all kinds of videos. If you just want to combine several small VOBs into one DVD and don't care about menus for the moment, DVD Shrink does a good job at that. Simple to use, quick and reliant.
Hope it helps.

Cheers.

kidrocklive
2006-04-25, 10:18 AM
when you use the dvd video option on this program and redo the dvd with a menu and junk, when it reauthors it does it re-encode the entire video? I heard somebody say that you could just join all the vob files nad then use sony dvd architect to make a menu and stuff but I can't seem to get that to accept the VOB file(s). I got a dvd in the mail but it has no menu and 5min chapter splits, so I wanted to redo the dvd but not re-encode the video if that's possible.

showtaper
2006-04-25, 12:28 PM
when you use the dvd video option on this program and redo the dvd with a menu and junk, when it reauthors it does it re-encode the entire video? I heard somebody say that you could just join all the vob files nad then use sony dvd architect to make a menu and stuff but I can't seem to get that to accept the VOB file(s). I got a dvd in the mail but it has no menu and 5min chapter splits, so I wanted to redo the dvd but not re-encode the video if that's possible.

A couple of paragraphs follow from the Pegasys TMPGenc website. They are now pushing version 2.0 but I believe most of the features are true from version 1.6 on. I use it all the time as I get many DVD's in trade that were authored on a stand-alone burners. Just rip the disc to your drive and use the DVD video input option and you can trim the clips as you wish then add chapters and menus. Works great and is pretty fast!!

Here's several of the features explained:

2. Smart Rendering
DVD Author 2.0 supports frame level MPEG editing features. Frame level editing is the most precise method for MPEG editing because it operates with frame level precision. Until now, frame level editing has required complete re-encoding of output video which has resulted in degradation of output video quality as well as a slow DVD building process. DVD Author 2.0 provides a smart rendering feature that eliminates this problem. It automatically analyzes video clips and makes sure that only the smallest possible number of frames is re-encoded. In other words, the smart rendering feature dramatically improves the DVD building process in terms of speed while preserving the highest possible video output quality.

3. Transcoding capabilities with Intercom’s® Transcoding Engine
You may often experience that DVD-Videos projects become too large to fit onto writable DVD discs when you add more and more contents to them. DVD Author 2.0 contains a transcoding engine from Intercom that helps you solve this problem. Rather than completely re-encoding video contents, the transcoding engine dynamically and rapidly recompresses video data streams with a minimal reduction in quality so that they will fit exactly to the size of the writable DVD media (4.5GB/8.5GB).

Hope this helps! I think #3 is new, whenever I authored an oversize disc in the past, I just used DVD Shrink to get it down to the correct size. I'll have to compare the Intercom recompression to DVD Shrink..........

lpfreak1170
2006-04-25, 01:02 PM
In the times that I've done the exact same thing (make a basic menu and create correct chapter points), I've never known it to re-encode the video.

kidrocklive
2006-04-26, 12:10 AM
cool, is TMPGEnc the best for doing this or is there a better program? I know TMPGEnc is most likely the easiest though, so maybe I should just stick with that lol. I always have this idea i'm going to be able to make a menu that looks killer like a bought dvd is but I dont' think that will happen lol.

STLBlues
2006-05-01, 11:00 PM
Hey all. I recently captured a 2 hour svhs to my PC. I converted the .avi file to mpeg2 w/ Vegas 6. Put that into Architect 3, authored to DVD9 created my menus, chapters, etc. I then dragged the video_ts folder into Nero Burning Rom, and burned. The burn was successful. However, when I put it into my player(s), it does not see the menu. Well, the player says menu, but the screen is black and I can't do anything. I "told" my player to skip ahead to...let's say...chapter 2, and it plays fine. But no menu(s) are visible. My computer "sees" the menu, but none of my players do. I did a google, and found somewhere that if I burn it as an ISO image, then "use" Nero to burn (like w/ DVD Shrink), then it might fix that problem. I read something bad happens if burning w/ the video_ts folder. Any thoughts? I can't try the ISO thing until I get new blanks (already wasted my last 2). It's only my third DVD9 author, but I didn't have any problems w/ the first 2 I've done. Thanks for any help!

U2Lynne
2006-05-01, 11:13 PM
A couple of people have complained about the same thing, but I haven't seen a solution:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20246&highlight=dvd+menu
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18988&highlight=dvd+menu

STLBlues
2006-05-01, 11:23 PM
Ya Lynne. I didn't see those posts, but some of it sounds like my problem. But I can't even move a cursor around, nothing. I looked around videohelp also, but didn't see anything pertaining to this subject. I'll have to try importing the DVD9 files into DVD Shrink (set to DVD9) and re-burn onto my hard drive as an ISO image, and have DVD Shrink "use" Nero to burn. If that fails, maybe something other than Nero is needed. Shit pisses me off. Just when you think you've got it, some bull crap like this happens. Makes me want to just give up w/ this kind of thing.

AAR.oner
2006-05-02, 06:29 AM
Makes me want to just give up w/ this kind of thing.
:nono: a better solution would be to make the switch to Mac ;)

STLBlues
2006-05-02, 11:51 AM
Come on.... :lol ....you know I'm just playin'. This hobby is almost as addictive as weed :wtf:

A Mac huh? Not until I win the lottery, but of course I have to play first.

Unidecker
2006-05-02, 12:03 PM
ide guess it was a file allocation era with nero i personally dont condone it's usage on a DVD5 nevermind a DVD9. just my 02. enjoy and if u need help msg me pz uni

STLBlues
2006-05-02, 03:51 PM
Success! Here's what I did w/ my DVD9 files that weren't properly playing after Nero was used. I imported the DVD9 files into DVD Shrink 3.2 (set to DVD9). I re-burned it as an ISO image file, then Shrink had DVD Decrypter burn the disc. It didn't really work in one of my players (the expensive one), but it does work in another player I have. So the ISO thing worked out. My menus are appearing now. Whew! Uni also suggested to me that I use Prassi/ONES software to burn instead of Nero, so I'll be looking into that. Thanks for the help people! If you're having problems burning DVD9's w/ Nero, do what I just did.

STLBlues
2006-05-16, 03:08 PM
I was hoping somebody who's very familiar w/ using DVD Architect could help me out here. I have my video in Architect 3.0c, and I want to put 3 different audio choices in which can be selected separatly. I have my video track in the timeline w/ the 3 different audio tracks underneath it. But I can't figure out how to make "buttons" (for individual selection) in the "Audio Options" page within the menus. I'm fairly familiar w/ using Architect, but I've never done this before. Normally, when no other audio choices are included, on the main menu page....I create a "Chapter Selection" sub-menu, and a "Credits" sub-menu. Then of course I have just "Play" on the Main Menu page. So for what I'm doing now, I want my Main Menu page to look like this:

"Play All"
"Chapter Selection"
"Credits"
"Audio Options"

I just can't figure out how to enter "buttons" on the "Audio Options" menu page. Any help/tips/pointers would be awesome. I do have the manual, but it didnt help me. Thanks!

STLBlues
2006-05-16, 10:26 PM
Well before somebody were to help me out w/ my question above...I figured out how to do it. But now I have a new problem, that makes sense I guess. I have a video I rendered in Vegas @ 8200 max, 8100 avg, 8000 min Kbps. So when I added the 3 separate PCM audio sources, the bitrate is just over 13 Mbps, when I think it should be no more than 10 Mbps. So I assume this wouldn't play on any or all DVD players, correct? I certainly don't want to compress the video at all, nor do I want to give up all 3 audio options. Any way around/through this? Thanks.

diggrd
2006-05-17, 12:34 AM
I have "found" an encoder listed on the newsgroups that can losslessly compress audio for use on a DVD

This encoder will reduce the maximum instantaneous peak data rate to get the 13.82Mbps data rate of six channel surround 24 bit/96kHz PCM audio under the 9.6Mbps limitation of DVD.

bigwurock
2006-05-17, 03:30 PM
i have some really good dvd authoring coming up...i am starting to think about using dvd9 instead of the single dvds..to those who author dvds using dvd9..what is the max amount of time you can stick on a dvd9..i know times very..but 3 hours..would that be to much..how much time is too much before you loose some of the quality...+ anyother info on dvd9s would be great..
thanks...http://www.tealeafgreen.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/snoopy.gif

AAR.oner
2006-05-17, 06:34 PM
shouldn't be a problem bigwu...really all depends on what bitrate setting you use...but really, anything above 7Mbps is gonna be top form, atleast when it comes to live shows

saltman
2006-05-18, 04:20 PM
I have "found" an encoder listed on the newsgroups that can losslessly compress audio for use on a DVD

This encoder will reduce the maximum instantaneous peak data rate to get the 13.82Mbps data rate of six channel surround 24 bit/96kHz PCM audio under the 9.6Mbps limitation of DVD.Do share. Do share. What might the name of such magical encoder. Sounds kewl.

yeltzin_4
2006-05-19, 12:54 AM
I have a video I rendered in Vegas @ 8200 max, 8100 avg, 8000 min Kbps. So when I added the 3 separate PCM audio sources, the bitrate is just over 13 Mbps, when I think it should be no more than 10 Mbps. So I assume this wouldn't play on any or all DVD players, correct? I certainly don't want to compress the video at all, nor do I want to give up all 3 audio options. Any way around/through this? Thanks.

No there's no way around it. You can't have 3 PCM audio sources on a DVD which has a maxiumum video bitrate of 8200 kbit/sec.

What you are trying to do is very unusual. How many commercial DVDs have you seen with 3 PCM audo tracks?

If you want 3 PCM tracks you will need to encode your video so that the maximum video rate is around 5200 kbit/sec and if you do that your picture quality will suffer. Just choose the best PCM track and only include that.

The application that diggrd suggested sounds too good to be true and most probably is.

AAR.oner
2006-05-19, 05:57 AM
if it were me, i'd compress the video further and keep yer multiple audio options...i guarantee that 99 people outta 100 will never be able to tell the difference between say 8Mbps & 5Mbps

STLBlues
2006-05-19, 04:24 PM
Well at first I was thinking in terms of how much space (gb) it would take up on the DVD9, and not bitrates. But then the 'ole light bulb went off, and I figured it out. I've seen plently of factory DVD's where there was a PCM track, DTS, Dolby 5.1, & Dolby 2.0. So that's also why I thought there was a chance to fit all that info on there. I even converted the 2 less important audio streams to Dolby 2.0, and the bitrate was still too high. So I just opted to stay with the best sounding audio source. Maybe more than 1 PCM audio stream will be able to fit onto a Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD. But I don't know yet what kind of bitrate those formats will/do support. Thanks for the responses everyone.

yeltzin_4
2006-05-19, 09:48 PM
if it were me, i'd compress the video further and keep yer multiple audio options...i guarantee that 99 people outta 100 will never be able to tell the difference between say 8Mbps & 5Mbps
That's quite a generalisation don't you think? I thought the whole purpose of thetradersden.org was to ensure high quality releases? From my experience on this site it seems that most of you come from an audio background and you're willing to majorly sacrifice the quality of the video just so that you can get PCM streams on the disc.
I commend STLBlues for leaving the video as it is and just having the single PCM audio stream.

AAR.oner
2006-05-20, 09:28 AM
That's quite a generalisation don't you think? I thought the whole purpose of thetradersden.org was to ensure high quality releases? From my experience on this site it seems that most of you come from an audio background and you're willing to majorly sacrifice the quality of the video just so that you can get PCM streams on the disc.
I commend STLBlues for leaving the video as it is and just having the single PCM audio stream.
actually i've done quite a bit of work in film/post, and i still stand by what i said:
that 99% of people out there are not goin to be able to tell any difference between 8Mb & 5Mb...ESPECIALLY when it comes to live shows, which typically contain very little or no quick movements in the frame, are filmed on consumer gear, etc...

and with mulitple audio sources [*if* they are all good quality], i'd personally much rather have a SBD, an AUD, & a "Matrix" to choose from, as opposed to 1 or 2 more Mbps in the video compression...for me thats a higher quality DVD, but i guess quality can be subjective some times

oh and glad you got it figure out tho STLBlues :thumbsup

Chesh
2006-05-22, 02:13 AM
Hi
i've got one VHS with a show, the tape is NTSC. when i tried to copy it to dvd (with tv card or dvd recorder) the picture came bad.
i've bought this VHS because i had a watermarked DVD of the show.
the VHS itself works great but another problem is that when i watch it on small tv, the picture is bad (like not real colours). and on big tv (29"?) it works great

please help me

here's a screenshot to compare. in the left: a good picture from my actual dvd (watermarked)
in the right: picture from my VHS>DVD

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/8895/13xu2.jpg

AAR.oner
2006-05-22, 07:05 AM
what kind of VHS deck are you using to transfer? also what ADC device?

looks to me like its over saturating the colors, and yer losing some detail...you can try adjusting for the color in yer editing prog [saturation, 3-way color corrector, gamma -- adjust these to fine tune]...

as for the color issue on the small TV, i dunno...never run into that problem before

Chesh
2006-05-22, 09:05 AM
hmm i don't know what is ADC..
anyway im trying with a USB card plugged to my JVC VCR.
it's a standard machine (Multi) so it can play both PAL and NTSC

i've tried to adjust the colours when i capture it but it's not like the original...

skodechoker
2006-05-28, 02:16 PM
Relative noob to the whole authoring bit, but it looks like fun and I want to give it a go, any links to tutorials or shit like that is helpful.

Basically what I want to do, is I have this show that has a buttload of extras that I want to keep intact, part of that disc I found material of a better source so naturally I want to replace just this one section of material with the better source.

I'm sure its possible but have no idea on where to begin. I looked at both file structures and it seems different so I cant just replace one portion, it has to be reauthored entirely.

NOOB.

TonyHart
2006-05-28, 04:49 PM
I did this exact thing with a dvd last week, for the first time, so i can help you. The software you need is dvdremake pro. I am on Skype, so get in touch. My skype is brummymax.

skodechoker
2006-05-28, 05:13 PM
wtf is skype :lol thx for the tip

TonyHart
2006-05-28, 06:51 PM
Skype is a free text/speech and FILE TRANSFER software. Google it.

skodechoker
2006-05-28, 07:08 PM
god Im so inept at some shit sometimes :lol:

pauglife
2006-06-07, 04:01 PM
Was wondering what all you pros use for a program to make your snazzy intro scenes on your dvds. Just saw taperguys newest :clap: BTW everyones explanations on vegas on this site are stellar. Just finished authoring my first dvd with no hassle whatsoever. Thanks a lot. Especially Saltman :thumbsup

saltman
2006-06-07, 04:24 PM
Especially Saltman :thumbsup

Ahhh.. I'm blushing :redface: I usually just use photoshop and make a .jpg. Then you can drop that .jpg into Vegas and use the transition function to make it fly in and out or whatever you want. The bonnaroo one I did was done with a program called Swish Max. It is a flash animator. It is not very hard to use and has some really neat functions. The bonnaroo one was a series of still photos with various transitions between them. That program exports out .swf files that can be dropped right into Vegas. I use vegas to save them as a mpg, which can be used in DVD Architect. You might be able to import .swf files straight into DVD Architect but I have never tried. If you want some more info on that program I can help you out. It is a lot like Vegas.

pauglife
2006-06-07, 04:31 PM
thanks salt. When I can get back to my my desktop ill start messin around.It's capturing right now(my laptop isn't as advanced) :D

taperguy27
2006-06-08, 01:45 PM
the bonnaroo flash that saltman did is still my alltime favorite!

bigwurock
2006-06-08, 02:56 PM
is there a way to add chapter or song markers in sony vegas...i usually do it dvd arch 3 but i would save time if i could do it in vegas...never have done it before with vegas & was wondering how..
thanks much

saltman
2006-06-08, 03:26 PM
same way as DVDA. you hit the "m" button and name it there. When you render in vegas check the box that says something about retaining chapter marks.... It's at the bottom of the dialog box.

bigwurock
2006-06-08, 04:03 PM
same way as DVDA. you hit the "m" button and name it there. When you render in vegas check the box that says something about retaining chapter marks.... It's at the bottom of the dialog box.

thank you saltman!....

attyM
2006-06-20, 03:53 PM
I have a video of my band with horrible audio and a seperate audio recording which is a good (WAV format on my HD). I'd like to combine these two and make one great DVD. I have a mac and have final cut pro as well as soundtrack. (I don't know much about these apps)

The file is a direct transfer from a DV camera. It 45 minutes and the AVI file is 10gb!!!

Any help would be appreciated befoe i dig into this tomorrow night via the trial and error method.

hanshak2015
2006-06-21, 11:54 AM
I'd suggest extracting the audio, 10 GB is a pain in the ass to edit. Personally I prefer synching with Samplitude (multitrack hd recording app), cause its graphic style makes synching quite easy. Sometimes, when the two audio sources aren't quite in synch and some cutting needs to be done, Samplitude is killer.

You could also make a DVD out of your AVI file as if the audio was perfect, then from the finished DVD, de-mux the audio, resynch it with the new source, then re-mux it. Then you'd have your 10 GB AVI off the table and are able to work with handy files. As the video remains untouched when you mux, this is probably the way for you to go.

attyM
2006-06-22, 10:34 AM
I actually took th AVI file into FCP, tossed the bad audio and brought in the new audio. I was able to move it side to side and line it up. I exported another AVI file and brought it into toast and burned a DVD. I'll watch it tonight and see how it went.

I'll check out Samplitude. What is mux?

Also, now that I have the audio in place, what is a good application to do the tracking and titles?

hanshak2015
2006-06-22, 11:56 AM
De-Muxing is separating audio and video streams of a DVD, re-muxing is joining them back together. Great if you get a DVD and a better audio source and want to join them in no time. Also no re-encoding involved, so no change in video quality.

attyM
2006-06-22, 01:16 PM
Cool! I'll check out Samplitude

saltman
2006-06-22, 01:58 PM
I think you will find the demuxed mpeg2 file will be harder to work with than the uncompressed .avi. Atleast it is on a pc. I work with 20-30GB avi files every day and they don't cause any problems. When you bring a mpeg2 into Vegas ( a pc program ) it is slow and jerky. The final product isn't. But it is a pain while you are editing.

Anyway it sounds like you are on the right track. I thought there was another program people were using with macs to render. I forget the name now.

I also think you will find that if the video and audio were both digitally which DV is of course.... it will be a cakewalk to synch it. You will probably not need to stretch or cut, etc...

dirtfloorcracker
2006-06-26, 10:48 AM
OK so with the help of some fine folks here and my own research, I figured out how to capture & synch a live concert using Vegas 6. However, thats about as far as I've gotten.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as chaptering and authoring? I'll be using architect to author. I assume I put the chapters in while Im still in Vegas, but Im not sure how.

What do I need to do to chapter this thing and get it into architect to author and create a menu? I realize I will be designing the menu art in something like photoshop, but I still need some direction here.

So close... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Scott

pauglife
2006-06-26, 11:03 AM
Try to search for Saltman's instructions on doing all this. You can make your chapters in Architect. When you drag your main video and audio to the bottom right corner of architect, go just above those streams and right click to add chapters. add your media to the main project. Then right click on the media and it will allow you to add a scene selection menu. Thus using the chapters you have created. Hope this helps, I'm new to this too.

Unidecker
2006-06-26, 11:06 AM
download the dvd architect tutorial and read the help files or manual from sony's site easy as 1-2-3 good luck enjoy :)

sj1998
2006-07-02, 01:53 PM
I have recently tivoed on highest quality a few great programs. Im in search of anyone who knows much about seeding videos to see what is necesary for the videos i have tivoed and burned to dvd to be able to be ripped and put up here to download as well as other places on line. The programs i have do need editing out of the commercials and could also need a little edditing themselves.
I am trying to get up the following videos:
Pearl Jam storytellers
The Drug Years parts 1,2,3 and 4.
and 2 History channel docs called Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way. One is on Marijuana and the other is called LSD, Ecstacy, and the Raves.

These are just a few of the recent things ive tivoed. If anyone has any knowledge of good ripping and editing programs i may go from there or if anyone has done this with other similar dvrs or like things and wants to help please do.

Thanks for any help/information
Seth

PS once i get this going i hope to add a running thread or poll here so if yall see something coming up ill be sure to tivo it and dont mind doing it for music or programs im not interested in as well. :)

jazzbo
2006-07-02, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure if the best path to getting these files so that you can edit them is by taking the tivo files, burning them and then reripping them.

You might be better off taking the .tivo files (with TivoToGo), and stripping the DRM headers which leaves you with a "normal" mpeg2 file. Manipulating a mpeg2 file will be easier than a ripped DVD burn. There are tons of sites on the Net explaining how to do this -- you're on your own as far as the legality. Some software is even able to manipulate the .tivo files directly.

Lastly at least some of the programs you mentioned (the History Channel docs) are available for sale -- perhaps something you might not want to freely torrent.

fitz1888
2006-07-11, 11:09 AM
I was wondering how I could get some concerts i have on VHS onto my computer since i finally have a big enough hard drive to do this with. Can anyone give me a link to where this is explained? thanks.

Homebrew101
2006-07-11, 12:27 PM
I would guess that if you have a really decent video and soundcard, just hook up the VCR outputs to the cards and hope for the best in A/D conversion.

I'm actually going to transfer a few dozen VHS to DVD in the next few weeks but I'm borrowing my brother's stand-alone DVD burner while he's on vacation because I have crappy video and soundcards in my pc.

Anybody know some good software to edit my files after I convert them to DVD? I plan to try to edit on my pc from the DVD's to make DVD compilations later, i.e. putting all my SRV clips on the same disc etc.

Homebrew101
2006-07-12, 01:34 PM
I downloaded 2 DVD boot. I would like to burn it on a single DL disc. The files for each DVD are named the same, i.e. each DVD has a file named "VTS_02_1.VOB" etc.

Can I just re-name the files on DVD 2 to follow in sequence after the ones on DVD 1? Or won't that work unless I re-author the entire thing? I'm guessing that's the case because for one, the menus probably wouldn't work then or something.

TheMamba
2006-07-12, 02:12 PM
Pretty sure you'll have to re-author the whole thing.

saltman
2006-07-12, 02:26 PM
you can't simply rename the files.... the ifo bup file etc... wouldn't be correct. I think there is a way to do it though with a specific program. I have never done it but I thought I heard people talk about it.

diggrd
2006-07-12, 11:04 PM
check here http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=284279

wodzjar
2006-07-13, 02:21 AM
Use nero recode. But menu's will be gone.

Homebrew101
2006-07-13, 07:52 AM

That's cool, I can live with this solution, thanks! :thumbsup

Sacredroots
2006-07-13, 06:41 PM
No,it will keep them if you select them.

Kingfish127
2006-07-14, 09:56 AM
Hey All,

I have just converted a VHS>DVD on my stand alone DVD burner, transfered the files to PC everything fine there, but now I want to add new menu and ad chapters etc but need suggestions on easy editor software. One main problem seems to be the lag time I get useing Nero Recode. The lag time is pretty shakey and cumbersum and is making editing longer then it really should be IMO.
I'm running a PIII with a GForce 5200 Video card 512 memory. Not much but all I have now, wondering if I'm just underpowered on this. BTW the videos play smoothly on player, just not in Recode.

Any help welcome.
Kingfish:rock:

dirtfloorcracker
2006-07-17, 11:58 AM
OK I've noticed something weird I'd like to ask about.

I synched my video and audio in Vegas, and rendered the video and audio seperately as instructed (thanks saltman!). When I drag my prerendered MPG onto the menu screen, it automatically imports my prerendered WAV file in also. Is this normal? Just to clarify, its an mpg-2, with NO sound. But somehow it also imports the WAV file, lined up and thus, perfectly synched! Not that this is a problem, but how does it know exactly which WAV file to bring in? I thought I would have to drag them in seperately...

One more question. I extracted my audio from a burned CD-R, thus it was a 44k WAV file. Does it make sense when I render the audio out of Vegas to go back to 48k? It seems like I would just leave it at 44k, but Im not sure.

Thanks!
Scott

saltman
2006-07-17, 12:17 PM
If your prerendered .wav file and the .mpg file have the same name like... phish1998-11-02.mpg and phish1998-11-02.wav and you put in the one file it will automatically put them both in, if they are in the same folder.

The audio needs to be rendered to 48 to stay within the DVD spec. This can be done in Vegas or Architect in the final DVD preperation.

dirtfloorcracker
2006-07-17, 12:28 PM
Ok, I see now, they are named the same, and in the same folder, so that makes sense! I rendered the audio at 48k out of Vegas, so I should be fine.

Thanks again Saltman, your instructions are so precise there should be a tutorial made from them!

dirtfloorcracker
2006-07-18, 10:58 AM
<if you click on play on the right side will be the highlite section. I use a text mask overlay so that when you click on play it turns colors... but doesn't have the rectangle selection box.>

Hey Saltman, or anyone else that could help, could you please elaborate a little more on how you do this? I have read a lot about masks in the manual but still cant quite figure this one out. I got rid of the rectangle, that was easy, but getting the text to change colors is giving me trouble...

Thanks again for all your help!

saltman
2006-07-18, 01:51 PM
The color sets are on the right side of the screen also, under the highlite section. You can change whatever color you want it to be there. Under the main window is the text color option. If you leave it white it will be white on the screen. If you change the color set to say red.... it will overlay a mask of red on top of the white. This will make it look kinda pinky when the item is selected. You will have to play with the colors to get what you want. That is my understanding of that. I haven't totaly used all the color set stuff before so I probably need to read up on that too.

AAR.oner
2006-07-22, 09:17 PM
nero pretty much sucks for encoding...probly the cheapest program you'll be able to find that does a decent job would be TMPGEnc DVD Author...it goes up from there in price, but also in quality: Sony Vegas+DVD Prod Studio, Adobe Encore, etc...

TerryG
2006-07-23, 07:41 AM
When I reauthor previously authored DVD's, I use DVD Decrypter to demux the audio and video, then drag the demuxed files straight into DVD Architect and add menus, chapters, etc from there. No recoding needed, and I've yet to have any sync problems using that method.

jackbutler
2006-07-23, 01:58 PM
I recently got in a DVD that was shot from the back of the Auditorium and the audio is behind the video by about a 1/2 of second! What is the easiest way to resync the audio? Is there anyway to do it in the VOB files or am I gonna have to demux? and if so what are the easiest programs to do this?

Thanks.....

AAR.oner
2006-07-23, 02:02 PM
yer gonna have to demux and resync using a editing program...i know there are threads re: this problem, but im not sure the exact links...try searching Techobabble with key words like "resync" and "demux"...hopefully someone else will respond soon with more detailed info

as far as programs to do this, what OS are you on?

jackbutler
2006-07-23, 02:06 PM
Windows XP SP2. I have a great computer for doing it I am running a P4 3.0 GHz and 2 Gigs of DDR3200. :)

AAR.oner
2006-07-23, 02:14 PM
the cheapest solution for windows os that i've heard about [program-wise] would be TMPGEnc for the re-sync/re-author [around 50 bucks i think]...then there's the pro software, like Sony's video suite, Adobe's, etc, but are much more money

i'm pretty sure DVD Decrypter can demux for you, but i'm not very familiar with PCs when it comes to video/audio

bigwurock
2006-07-25, 12:20 PM
i was wondering if there is a way to brighten up a video just alittle bit....i looked through the manual but didn't see anything but might have missed it....anyone know if this is possible...thanks...

TerryG
2006-07-25, 02:00 PM
You could try adding a Video Event FX for either HSL adjust and adjusting the Luminance, or Levels and adjusting the Gamma and see if that works for you.

bigwurock
2006-07-25, 03:50 PM
any pointers on doing the steps to do this...i don't see them anywhere in the vegas...thanks..

TerryG
2006-07-25, 05:16 PM
At the right edge of the video you are working on, there should be two icons. Click the bottom one that looks like this: http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/4241/fxeu7.jpg. From the window that pops up, select either "HSL Adjust" or "Levels" and adjust the settings I mentioned in my previous post. I don't know if this will do exactly what you're wanting, but it's what I came up with off the top of my head.

bigwurock
2006-07-30, 11:18 AM
i am looking to clean up a camcorder audio...it is the only recording of the show...no audio tapers...but the camcorder is heavy on the bass...so i was wondering is it possible to edit the audio in sony vegas 6....???..i was wondering if anyone knew this & if yes can you steer me in the right direction as far as doing it...?..thanks!

AAR.oner
2006-07-30, 03:42 PM
i know that Final Cut has numerous audio tools that aren't too bad, in and of themselves...i'm assuming Vegas does too

it does support VST plugins...heres an article i ran across googling this...about halfway down, talks about setting up for VSTs...some are expensive, but there are numerous free ones around
http://www.digitalproducer.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=31944-1

what you'll probly be wanting to use is for this is just some EQ shaping...if you haven't seen this post re: frequency ranges/EQ, you should check it out ;)
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showpost.php?p=68160&postcount=1

and remember, less is best, so keep a light touch when EQing

E_rock
2006-07-30, 07:21 PM
Vegas has a nice EQ built in, look for this panel. Light touch is right.

bigwurock
2006-07-30, 09:39 PM
thanks that what i was wondering!...anyone have any pointers on how to use it....i will try and mess with it but if anyone has used it before that would be great...thanks again..

Vegas has a nice EQ built in, look for this panel. Light touch is right.

EddylitE
2006-08-04, 05:17 PM
']I use Ulead DVD Pro, it's pretty easy to use and it can take you like 20 minutes to reauthor a DVD and they look great. I make my own artwork, but like I said, once u know how to use it, it`s pretty fast.

Here`s a couple of examples:
Lacuna Coil - Ozzfest (http://www.metalbootlegdatabase.com/invboard/uploads/post-66-1120194517.jpg)

Lacuna Coil - Ozzfest: I'm very interested but the link doesn't work. What should be behind it?

Greetings Eddy_litE

AAR.oner
2006-08-04, 05:40 PM
the post w/ the link yer refferring to is over a year old, and the board it "points to" is no longer running

bigwurock
2006-08-16, 10:31 AM
how do i get back the audio LED meters that are on sony vegas..the bottom middle ones...it seems i must have closed them by accident...now i cannot figure out how to get them back...thanks...

saltman
2006-08-16, 05:55 PM
view > mixer :D

bigwurock
2006-08-16, 07:50 PM
view > mixer :D

thank you...will give it a try :thumbsup

Homebrew101
2006-09-04, 03:54 PM
I converted quite a few VHS tapes to dvd on a stand alone dvd burner. I need to do minor editing (commercial breaks etc.).
I tried Pinnacle Studio 9 but that can't seem to open any files sourced from an existing dvd or hard drive. Am I missing something or do I need a different program?

Any suggestions are welcome.

saltman
2006-09-05, 02:00 PM
you can demux the .vob to mpg and ac3 or wav (whatever stnad alones do) then remux to mpg that will be recognized by Pinnacle using tmpgenc. However, when you reauthor you're gonna be rendering this info. twice. once on stand alone and twice on computer. You should capture the VHS to your computer, make the clips, then render once. You're gonna notice blocking in the final product if you don't.

bigwurock
2006-09-06, 02:55 PM
i have a 2 cam show...one shot is 16x9 and the other video is full screen....what is the best way to edit this....i would like to stay 16x9....i have vegas 6...can i just render the whole 2 cam (after i synch up the audio) as a 16x9....will the be ok..??..shoot me some ideas....thanks all...

saltman
2006-09-06, 04:06 PM
no this will not be ok. there are many ways to do this..... let me see if I can find a tutorial put together here by TG27.

saltman
2006-09-07, 01:17 PM
The following is care of TG27 :woot:

step one:
right click on fs stream and select video crop. select no for maintain aspec & stretch to fill frame. now drag your top and bottom to get the black bars at the top and bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/taperguy27/step1.jpg

step two:
now just switch the stretch to fill frame back to yes and it'll stretch it back on top and bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/taperguy27/part2.jpg

step 3:

that's it basically. your vid will appear stretched out & look like this.........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/taperguy27/step3.jpg

BUT when you render it in 16:9 the bars will come back on the top and bottom and it will be in true 16:9 on a ws tv and look normal with no stretching.

bigwurock
2006-09-07, 07:52 PM
thank you, thank you!!!!

Chachi420
2006-09-07, 08:01 PM
just another note, you want to make sure that the file> properties > video > pixel aspect ratio is in widescreen.
and on the video preview, check 'simulate device aspect ratio' and things won't looked stretched and with black bars as in tg27's example...
done this many times with no problem...have fun!

mkdevo
2006-10-24, 09:33 AM
wasn't sure exactly where to ask this, but...

i've seen a 'bootlegger' with a 2-cam mix of a recent RHCP show available on DVD. i want to purchase this show and put it out to everyone, BUT... i also recorded audio of this show, which i can guarantee is better than the camera audio..

i was wondering if anyone would be willing to do an A/V sync for me. i would provide both audio and video sources, as well as blanks for the final product. i would then make it available here..

if you're interested, please let me know. OR, if there is an easy to follow guide somewhere, i'd love to see it. thanks!

Naregatsi
2016-01-12, 11:01 AM
Hello
I'm facing a small problem
I read some of the previous parts about ripping a dvd etc...
but here's my situation
I have 2 DVD 5 which are originally 1 VHS transfer
I want to create 1 DVD 9 out of these 2 plus edit/cut some parts
the files are on my PC I don't have the DVDs anymore I threw them and don't want to burn them again
with SmartRipper I couldn't work since after a few clicks it showed me the "program has stopped working" close the program
with DVD Decrypter I can't choose the source as a folder from my hard drive

I just want to demux both of the DVDs then add them on the timeline of Sony Vegas and do the required editing

Any suggestions?
Thanks

xjsb125
2016-01-13, 08:01 AM
You could use IMGBurn to create a .iso file, mount it to a virtual drive, then try and demux it...theoretically. I'm sure your also aware you will lose some quality when you render out a new track.

Naregatsi
2016-01-13, 10:44 AM
You could use IMGBurn to create a .iso file, mount it to a virtual drive, then try and demux it...theoretically. I'm sure your also aware you will lose some quality when you render out a new track.

Thanks again
Will give it a try

Silver Stallion DVDs
2016-01-23, 08:31 AM
It's possible to do the editing in Sony Vegas Video, but you have to manually set the bitrate to exactly what was used to encode the original mpeg files in the authored DVD - or it will re-encode them. You can use a program like G-Spot to get an idea of what the bitrate of a DVD is, but it's not always truly accurate.

I would recommend a program like Womble's MPEG Video Wizard DVD (www.womble.com). You can easily edit mpeg files with it, it figures out the original bitrates automatically, and it doesn't re-encode (unless you want it to).

And you can use the previously described method of creating an .iso file and mounting it in a virtual drive, but that can be problematic for a lot of reasons. Why not just reburn the disks and extract the files using DVD Decrypter? Disks cost 20 cents and you can burn them in just a few minutes.