PDA

View Full Version : CPU at 100%.........

Black Dog
2006-12-04, 01:52 PM
I'm running XP Pro SP2. When win loads, the taskbar is blank.
Taskmanager\Performance says "CPU usage 100%"

I'm thinking something has corrupted explorer.exe......

Ideas? :hmm:

TheMamba
2006-12-04, 02:08 PM
Look at your processes list and see what's using up 100% of your CPU.

CTL+ALT+DEL > Task Manager > Click on the processes tab > click on CPU to sort by what's using so much...

Black Dog
2006-12-04, 02:18 PM
Look at your processes list and see what's using up 100% of your CPU.

CTL+ALT+DEL > Task Manager > Click on the processes tab > click on CPU to sort by what's using so much...

explorer at 99% :rolleyes:

TheMamba
2006-12-04, 02:27 PM
Something's not right then...don't think I've EVER seen that.

Try rebooting (if you haven't already)...see if it takes a long time to reboot. If that doesn't work, try rebooting in Safe Mode.

If you're pretty good with computers, I'd say reinstall XP and see if that does anything...I can't walk you through that right now...I'm at work.

TheMamba
2006-12-04, 02:29 PM
Also...have you changed ANYTHING on your computer lately?

Black Dog
2006-12-04, 02:47 PM
Something's not right then...don't think I've EVER seen that.

Try rebooting (if you haven't already)...see if it takes a long time to reboot. If that doesn't work, try rebooting in Safe Mode.

If you're pretty good with computers, I'd say reinstall XP and see if that does anything...I can't walk you through that right now...I'm at work.

This is probably what I'm going to have to do...:rolleyes:

....and that means pulling my HD to copy everything to another drive...

Guess I'll be using the laptop for a few days.....:lol

Thanks

TheMamba
2006-12-04, 02:57 PM
They only other thing I can think of is if you recently updated anything, installed new drivers, new virus program, etc.

saltman
2006-12-04, 03:47 PM
i've seen that all the time. some program is crashing causing a memory leak. If explorer.exe is pegging out then something is wrong. I'd uninstall. Seems like it could be a sign of someone/program attempting to inject into another programs (explorer.exe) memory to go undetected. How people hide trojans, etc... just went bad this time. for them that is.

Five
2006-12-05, 12:20 PM
run an anti-adware prog or two before you wipe it, see if that helps

diggrd
2006-12-05, 05:06 PM
Download HijackThis (http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3155&file=15&evp=3304750663b552982a8baee6434cfc13 )and post the logfile here

Black Dog
2006-12-06, 01:02 PM
Download HijackThis (http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3155&file=15&evp=3304750663b552982a8baee6434cfc13)and post the logfile here

I can't install or run anything!

Once the desktop loads, it locks....:disbelief

I removed the HD, installed it in a ext. case and went to copy docs, pics etc to another drive....

C:\documents and settings\my docs appears empty....:wtf:

free space has not changed, so the files are still there....

Why won't it let me see them? :rolleyes:

sadu
2006-12-06, 01:21 PM
try viewing them through DOS

-> start menu
-> run
type cmd

type dir C:\documents and settings\my docs
type dir /p

does it show any files

diggrd
2006-12-07, 01:32 AM
Can you start in safe mode or hold shift key when xp starts then run an online virus program like http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Black Dog
2007-03-19, 05:08 AM
I'm still trying to figure out a way to recover my stuff..:rolleyes:

I may have to send the HD to the pros...I can't think of any other options :(

direwolf-pgh
2007-03-19, 06:41 AM
try this solution Drew

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810881

guygee
2007-03-19, 07:59 AM
If you google "Explorer at 99%", you will get numerous hits in forums where other people have had the same problem. At least one suggestion that seemed to be worth a try:

If a virus or other malware is causing the problem, it is most likely hiding in your system somewhere and being installed at boot-up to infect explorer. You want to restart an uninfected instance of explorer. Try bringing up Windows Task Manager, and in the "Applications" tab click on "New Task" and type in "explorer".. That should restart explorer. At this point you will be able to run anti-spyware and virus detection programs, or run HijackThis and have diggrd examine the entrails.
OR...
If it appears that files are missing from your current hard drive, personally I would pull the drive immediately, buy a new one and reinstall the OS. Next I would put the old hard drive into a Firewire/USB external enclosure and run a good file recovery program to try and save my data.

Hope this helps...

Black Dog
2007-03-19, 02:49 PM
try this solution Drew

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810881

I'll give that a try!

Thanks Craig :thumbsup

Black Dog
2007-03-19, 02:51 PM
If you google "Explorer at 99%", you will get numerous hits in forums where other people have had the same problem. At least one suggestion that seemed to be worth a try:

If a virus or other malware is causing the problem, it is most likely hiding in your system somewhere and being installed at boot-up to infect explorer. You want to restart an uninfected instance of explorer. Try bringing up Windows Task Manager, and in the "Applications" tab click on "New Task" and type in "explorer".. That should restart explorer. At this point you will be able to run anti-spyware and virus detection programs, or run HijackThis and have diggrd examine the entrails.
OR...
If it appears that files are missing from your current hard drive, personally I would pull the drive immediately, buy a new one and reinstall the OS. Next I would put the old hard drive into a Firewire/USB external enclosure and run a good file recovery program to try and save my data.

Hope this helps...

Thats the first thing I did....:(

But thanks

direwolf-pgh
2007-03-20, 09:25 AM
I'll give that a try!

Thanks Craig :thumbsup
- any luck ?