PDA

View Full Version : bit torrent client? Firewalled

Dr Klovernutz
2006-11-13, 01:56 AM
hi have been somewhat familiar with bit torrents for a while.
I recently
1. switched to a client manager called bit torrent
2. also I recently switched to norton antivirus

I was consistantly getting Norton popups talking about a computer trying to gain access to my computer (but I think maybe it was others on the torrent at the time??)

now when I come to this site I see FIREWALLED listed under my name (never saw this before when I had Freeom firewall and Bit Tornado)
I even shut off both my winXP and norton firewall and it still shows. I am not even DLing a show and it says FIREWALLED. I looked through the article on port forwarding and got lost, I have no router. I have cable wire to moden to ethernet card. My modem is a Terayan (adelphia).......

could the client manager be the problem, or is there a fix for norton?

some insight would be great
thanks

added:
I just hopped over to bt.etree and started a torrent and I do not show up there as firewalled.......

U2Lynne
2006-11-13, 09:51 AM
I am not even DLing a show and it says FIREWALLED.
If you aren't connected to the tracker, then nothing will be there. It only says FIREWALLED if one of the shows you are uploading/downloading from the site sees you as firewalled. Perhaps the page is cached and that is why it is still saying that?

The Wicker Man
2006-11-13, 12:45 PM
bummer

Dr Klovernutz
2006-11-13, 01:04 PM
i just opened this page and now it doesn't say firewalled

I think since I know my settings are allowing bit torrent and the other bt sites I use do not say I am firewalled I think the problem may be with how Traders Den is seeing my computer

dmber
2006-11-13, 08:35 PM
all of a sudden mine says firewalled as well, but i don't even have a firewall on my computer. i went from connectable to firewalled.

none of the other sites i'm using think i'm firewalled, either.

TheMamba
2006-11-14, 06:08 AM
Sometimes when the tracker gets busy (I think) it shows a false Firewalled. Has happened to me a couple of times. Stopping and restarting cures it.

U2Lynne
2006-11-14, 09:54 AM
Also, you guys may want to do a NAT check to verify if you really are firewalled or not: http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

Also, as far as I know (and I just went to double-check), etree never tells you if you are firewalled or not.

tbtb
2006-11-14, 09:20 PM
I had the same problem. I was not firewalled according to Dime. I tried that excellent advice from Mr. Mamba and just stopped the torrent and restarted it. Magically, the RED firewalled notice went away -- thanks!

randytravis
2006-11-20, 04:48 AM
Norton can also cause problems with bittorrent due to it's Worm Protection "feature." you need to disable this in the norton options. it basically checks for a large number of connections originating from your computer (like bittorrent creates) and tries to stop them, thinking that it's a worm spreading.

sch21c
2006-11-27, 08:46 PM
Also, you guys may want to do a NAT check to verify if you really are firewalled or not: http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

Also, as far as I know (and I just went to double-check), etree never tells you if you are firewalled or not.

I'm showing as FIREWALLED too, even though Azureus is showing Nat OK and the natcheck page you referenced above shows everything is ok too.

Interesting....

U2Lynne
2006-11-27, 08:59 PM
If so, then try stopping all your torrents here and then starting them all.

panicpilgrims
2006-11-28, 12:25 AM
With your client open, go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and enter the port you are hoping is forwarded, it will tell you if it can "see" all the way through the firewalls and NAT to your client, on the exact path your music files travel. Couldn't hurt!

paddington
2006-11-28, 12:38 AM
I think that URL should be in the FAQ somewhere (unless it already is).

U2Lynne
2006-11-28, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I like that one. It's different from the NAT check one I usually send people to (http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl)

gunbarrel
2006-11-30, 02:51 PM
can somebody help?i'm new to this website and i'm not very computer literate!!!
i know the basics,but like the people before me i too am being firewalled.if somebody could give me a heads up on what i need to do and where to look for inf. on this matter, i would be greatly appreciated..the other torrent websites i'm a member of work fine and have never told me that i was being firewalled...please help,please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!in return for help i will invite any person to the land of the pig...."oink" :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

U2Lynne
2006-11-30, 03:05 PM
gunbarrel, everything you need to know in order to forward your ports and get unfirewalled is at www.portforward.com . Just hit the Port Forwarding link on the top, find your router in the list, click on the bittorrent client you are using and then you will get specific instructions on how to forward your ports (and how to set up a static local IP). If you get stuck and need further assistance, then post back here with your questions.