PDA

View Full Version : UTorrent Port settings

saveferals
2006-09-07, 11:01 AM
I am changed over to uTorrent because of problems with Bit. Any suggestions on port range settings please?

saveferals
2006-09-07, 11:19 AM
Lynne-

I used the port that was in the box already (15845) Can you check on your end f everything is working alright please?

TheMamba
2006-09-07, 12:33 PM
you're not showing up firewalled right now. :thumbsup

U2Lynne
2006-09-07, 12:39 PM
You look OK on both the torrents you are on. However, I seem to recall that the default for uTorrent is to pick random ports. So, make sure you go into Options > Preferences > Connection and uncheck the "Randomize port each time uTorrent starts" box. And, you probably want to check the "Add uTorrent to Windows Firewall" option.

Also, you may want to play with the Bandwidth Limiting options to maximize your upload and download rates (set upload to about 80% of the maximum and that will allow good download and upload rates).

saveferals
2006-09-07, 12:49 PM
You look OK on both the torrents you are on. However, I seem to recall that the default for uTorrent is to pick random ports. So, make sure you go into Options > Preferences > Connection and uncheck the "Randomize port each time uTorrent starts" box. And, you probably want to check the "Add uTorrent to Windows Firewall" option.

Also, you may want to play with the Bandwidth Limiting options to maximize your upload and download rates (set upload to about 80% of the maximum and that will allow good download and upload rates).

Thanks Lynne-

I'll go ahead and do...also I disabled "Off" my windows firewall. I really don't need it on since I am using a router anyway. :wave:

saveferals
2006-09-07, 12:52 PM
Lynne-

What numbers should I put in the bandwidth boxes for up and down? You said 80% but what is 80% of maximum? (not sure what max number is)

U2Lynne
2006-09-07, 12:58 PM
You should do a speed test for your type of service (dsl or cable modem or whatever). Your ISP probably has it's own page where you can do the test. The numbers you get will probably be in bps (bits per second) so you will need to divide that number by 8 to get Bps (Bytes per second) which is the way bittorrent refers to speeds.

saveferals
2006-09-07, 01:02 PM
Thanks again Lynne!

saveferals
2006-09-07, 01:14 PM
Lynne-

My speeds are:

UP: 540 Kbps

Down: 4300 Kbps

So do I divide these by 8 and put those numbers in the bandwidth limit options for up and down respectively?

So:
UP: (67.5)
and

DOWN: (537.5)

?

U2Lynne
2006-09-07, 03:10 PM
Well, I would cap my upload at about 54. That should allow you to still upload at a good rate and download at a really fast rate (assuming you can get that high of a download rate on a torrent). If you need to also be on the computer at the same time, the first thing I would do is cap your download rate if you are getting that high of a speed. I'd put it at about half the max (around 250) and then cap the upload at about 45 or so. You should play with the numbers and see what works for you though.

saveferals
2006-09-07, 03:12 PM
Well, I would cap my upload at about 54. That should allow you to still upload at a good rate and download at a really fast rate (assuming you can get that high of a download rate on a torrent). If you need to also be on the computer at the same time, the first thing I would do is cap your download rate if you are getting that high of a speed. I'd put it at about half the max (around 250) and then cap the upload at about 45 or so. You should play with the numbers and see what works for you though.

Thanks Lynne