PDA

View Full Version : firewalled

Rogue Cheddar
2006-09-03, 02:29 AM
when i started doing this a few days ago i was firewalled, then i spent a long time forwarding my ports, and then i wasn't firewalled for a couple days, and now it says i am firewalled once again.

why would it change like that? i don't get it.

Rogue Cheddar
2006-09-03, 02:39 AM
wow just kidding so it now has changed its mind again.

i assume it just does that sometimes?

oh well as long as i'm here, i am running an imac, and using a linksys router, my downloads are typically extremely slow, only occasionally will i get anything faster than 15 KB/S, does anyone have any extra tips for increasing speed?

most of the FAQS out there are for PC so any mac-specific tips would be welcome

thisistoto
2006-09-03, 03:11 AM
what kind of connection do you have?

you might want to try a totally different port. some isp's have got clever on the whole bit torrent thing and will block the mainstream ports used.

zounds
2006-09-03, 09:54 AM
A simple thing to do is limit your upload speed just below the maximum, because when a torrent client uses all the bandwith to upload it cannot communicate with the tracker, so it slows all your downloads...

saveferals
2006-09-03, 10:41 AM
A simple thing to do is limit your upload speed just below the maximum, because when a torrent client uses all the bandwith to upload it cannot communicate with the tracker, so it slows all your downloads...

How do you limit the upload speed????

Rogue Cheddar
2006-09-03, 01:47 PM
im already limiting the upload speed to 10 KB/S.

I am using port 61331. I have verizon DSL.

Rogue Cheddar
2006-09-03, 01:53 PM
now it says im firewalled again

my one download right now has been at literally 2 KB/S or less all night.

striker327
2006-09-04, 06:26 AM
how do u forward ports?

U2Lynne
2006-09-04, 11:42 AM
portforward.com will walk you through the steps for you particular router.

Rogue, you could be downloading at that speed if the seeder is not uploading at a high speed also. Your speed on a torrent depends on so many things besides whether you are firewalled - how many seeders and leechers, what their upload and download speeds are, and the firewalling of all players.

zounds
2006-09-04, 12:51 PM
How do you limit the upload speed????

That depends on the torrent client you use... I use utorrent and when you right-click the tray icon there is "upload limit" option... If you use another one try in the option menu or even google the name of your client following with "upload limit", i'm sure you will find something...

ps. I just saw, i'm firewalled, too... But, i guess this is because of my poor ratio... What can i do? I downloaded a DVD and now noone's downloading from me...

U2Lynne
2006-09-04, 02:03 PM
ps. I just saw, i'm firewalled, too... But, i guess this is because of my poor ratio... What can i do? I downloaded a DVD and now noone's downloading from me...
You are actually only showing up as firewalled on one of those shows. It could have been that at the time the tracker did a check, your ISP or computer connection hiccuped and showed up like that. I wouldn't worry about that. The real problem you have is that only one of the three shows you are uploading on has any leechers. So, just let it be and hopefully someone else will hop onto one of the other shows and download from you. You are doing the right thing by just leaving your windows open like that.