PDA

View Full Version : Yet another firewall question

KingCustean
2006-06-16, 07:18 PM
Is it possible to be firewalled from certain sites/trackers? I can download fine (green light) from bt.etree.org, but from this site, my name comes up as firewalled, and it shows in my downloads. I've opened the ports in my client, router, and in Windows. Is there anything specific to this site I need to do?

U2Lynne
2006-06-16, 07:35 PM
All being firewalled means it that you cannot connect to other firewalled people. So, it could be that you download/upload just fine, but are firewalled, because you are connecting to a bunch of people who are not firewalled. There isn't anything you need to do specific for this site.

KingCustean
2006-06-16, 07:38 PM
I dunno if that's it. It seems like too much of a coincidence that every torrent I'm on from bt.etree runs fine, but I'm firewalled on the ones from here. I'm not saying you're wrong, it just looks like I'm not firewalled on bt.etree, but I am here.

U2Lynne
2006-06-16, 07:44 PM
Does etree show if you are firewalled or not?

Our tracker tests for firewalling the same way that any other tracker I've looked at - using fsockopen. It's pretty much the standard, so I would think the etree uses the same method.

But, you can do a NAT check and see what it says: http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl Try it with a torrent from here and with a torrent from etree.

KingCustean
2006-06-16, 08:00 PM
Well, I did that test, and both of them are firewalled. I guess most people from bt have just exorcised their firewall demons? I tried changing my port settings around, but that didn't help either. I'm pulling better speeds on the torrent from here, but it's still showing that I'm firewalled. Oh well, I guess.

randytravis
2006-06-16, 08:59 PM
the bt.etree thing has been broke for ages, and hasn't been fixed afaik. if natcheck doesn't pass for you, you're firewalled. are you using an antivirus by norton?

U2Lynne
2006-06-16, 09:34 PM
Yes, as Randy said, there could be another program you are running (like an antvirus app) that could firewall you also. Something else to check.... open up the terminal and type 'ipconfig'. It will tell you what your local IP is (it will look something like 192.168.1.xxx). Now go check your router settings and make sure you forwarded your ports for that IP.

KingCustean
2006-06-16, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I do use Norton. I forwarded the ports in my router, but do I need to change anything in Norton?

U2Lynne
2006-06-16, 09:45 PM
Yeah, you need to do something to Norton that allows your bittorrent client to get through (similar to what you have to do with your XP firewall). I'll let someone else be more specific since I don't know exactly what you have to do (I'm a Mac user and don't use Norton).

KingCustean
2006-06-16, 09:54 PM
Cool, thanks. I knew there was something I was missing.