PDA

View Full Version : Does Azureus have to be such a CPU hog?

joeschmeaux
2006-05-29, 04:38 PM
When the BitTorrent client stopped working with the new passkey system, I switched to Azureus. It has a ton of bells and whistles and I like it a lot. However, when I woke up this morning, my poor Mac Mini was freaking out. My local DSL network had crashed, and Azureus was using all of the available CPU power and it wanted more! I restarted my computer and DSL modem. I then restarted all of my torrents with BitTorrent, and they're running smoothly. I'm doing 50-60kB down and 60-75kB up and BitTorrent is only using 25-30% of my available CPU power as opposed to Azureus which was using 85%+. I've seen a few other complaints about Azureus for Mac. Is it just a resource hog, or are there some settings which can be changed to make it run a little more efficiently? :hmm:

PyRo UK
2006-05-29, 05:08 PM
Its hardly the smoothest running program on a PC either.

Five
2006-05-29, 05:26 PM
serious cpu hog in my experience as well

if it wasn't for that I would probably choose it.

utorrent is much lighter

PyRo UK
2006-05-29, 05:36 PM
So what's utorrent like? I chose BitLord, and then Azureus more for the feel than anything else. I liked the fact that you can see it all in one place and the settings are so easy to use and understand.

slimeruky
2006-05-29, 05:52 PM
utorrent is quite similar to Azureus, really. It has worked flawlessly for me for many months now.

E_rock
2006-05-29, 06:15 PM
I don't know about mac, but it's all about the configuration, configuration, configuration. Play with those bells and whistles, you'll see. I've been using Azureus for more than a year, some problems at first (noob), once I got it configured right, flawless, and doesn't slow me down much at all. It only hogs you if you let it. At any given time AZ. only uses 25-30% along with Opsys. I rarely dip into the red, CPU wise, unless if I'm doing something else resource intensive. But, then again I have plenty of power and Ram. Find out your connection speed and config. from there. I've tried bit comet, bit lord, bit tornado, a host of others and like AZ. the best. haven't tried Utorrent though, maybe it's better, I'll have to see. Hope it's of some help. E.

PyRo UK
2006-05-29, 06:45 PM
Hey I just got this quite concerning message within minutes of installing uTorrent.
If you know how to help, I'm gona start a thread for it, I'm quite scared.

PyRo UK
2006-05-29, 06:58 PM
Please see http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22120

randytravis
2006-05-29, 07:02 PM
some tips for making azureus more friendly:
http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Reduce_memory_usage

disable everything you don't need, by default alot comes turn on that you don't need.

Five
2006-05-29, 08:15 PM
So what's utorrent like? I chose BitLord, and then Azureus more for the feel than anything else. I liked the fact that you can see it all in one place and the settings are so easy to use and understand.
bitlord is banned at many trackers and has a bad reputation for reporting incorrect stats, hammering trackers and being generally buggy as hell.

mgleason007
2006-05-29, 08:40 PM
Azureus is a resource hog because it's written in Java. You can run the same .jar file on any platform that has the Java Virtual Machine installed and it will run. It does not need to be recompiled for different platforms.

uTorrent is Windows only.

PyRo UK
2006-05-29, 08:43 PM
bitlord is banned at many trackers and has a bad reputation for reporting incorrect stats, hammering trackers and being generally buggy as hell.
That's why I stopped using it :)

joeschmeaux
2006-05-29, 09:41 PM
Azureus is a resource hog because it's written in Java. You can run the same .jar file on any platform that has the Java Virtual Machine installed and it will run. It does not need to be recompiled for different platforms.

uTorrent is Windows only.

Thanks for the explaination. No wonder the Java poker game slowed down to a crawl last night. Oh well, Azureus was fun for a few days. I guess it'll be BitTorrent until something better comes along.

PyRo UK
2006-05-30, 06:28 AM
like uTorrent :)
Unless what I said last night put you off?

FluteMusic
2006-06-02, 10:17 PM
I found that when I installed the latest Java on a Win XP machine that my CPU usage dropped substantially.

Alan K

fatjay_69r
2006-06-02, 10:32 PM
I had Bit Lord for about a week before i got rid of it. I couldn't connect to any trackers at all, (Firewall was off and all) and it just had problems. Then i got Bit Comet, and although it looks almost exactly the same, it has worked perfectly for over a year now. I like the fact it gets updated so often because i know that the guys developing this program are putting effort in, not just letting problems come up. I never liked UTorrent or Azureus, i had some problems with my firewall. I knew the problem would be solved if i turned my firewall off, but i didn't want that, i want to have it on all the time, just to feel safe :). So if you are still having problems i would get bit comet, if not stay with your program you have now. Just an opinion.

randytravis
2006-06-03, 05:29 PM
i know that the guys developing this program are putting effort in, not just letting problems come up.

except for the fact that it abuses the superseed mode of clients, by connecting and disconnecting to them rapidly in order to appear as a new peer and get more data. bitcomet (and it's ripoffs, bitspirt and bitlord) is banned from a number of private trackers due to it's past abuse of the private flag and the aforementioned problems with abusing the protocol.

Malth
2006-06-06, 11:12 PM
utorrent is probably the best client ever made

If you properly forward your ports, it will give you no problems

E_rock
2006-06-13, 08:00 PM
O.K. after all the discussion, I had to find out for myself, so I switched to Utorrent. Been using it for 4 or 5 days and everthing's fine. Yes, it's a lighter load and a very nice program but it doesn't seem to be as "tweekable" as Azureus. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get better UL spd.? I can download like the dickens. I was getting moments of 80-90 kbs. ULing with Az. using the help links posted here, now I can't seem to break 45 or so. Just asking, don't want to spend another year experimenting, :hmm: Thanks.

randytravis
2006-06-16, 02:21 AM
n/m