PDA

View Full Version : dBPowerAMP question

Tate
2005-01-02, 05:37 PM
Sorry for the dumb question, but I was wondering..... does it make a difference if files (SHN, FLAC, APE) are converted to WAV with dBPowerAMP instead of their own program, like mkw audio, flac frontend, monkey's audio.

I always use these programs, but now I got some APE files that I can't decode with Monkey's Audio (for some reason, I get an error) but I can convert them with dBPowerAMP. Does it make a difference? Thanks.

Five
2005-01-02, 05:46 PM
try foobar as well... if you still have to decode using dbpoweramp, at least you can bit-verify the files using foobar and find out for certain if it is decoding perfectly.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1112

Tate
2005-01-03, 11:17 AM
Thanks, never heard of that program. I'll give it a try :thumbsup

RainDawg
2005-01-04, 10:57 AM
It may make a difference, actually. dbPowerAmp may decode through a certain error that will alter the audio of the file itself.

Use foobar using the tutorial Five has linked above, to check the original APE file and the resultant WAV file using BitVerify to confirm that they are acoustically identical.

Under normal circumstances, it shouldn't matter what program you use to convert lossless files, but it's always best to use BitVerify after every conversion to ensure that no corruption error has occured...especially since APE does not have the robust internal error-checking that FLAC does.

Tate
2005-01-04, 06:41 PM
Cool, did not know that!
Thanks.

rerem
2005-01-05, 05:21 AM
Ape takes forever to convert-hope it dissapears