PDA

View Full Version : Is this lossy?

Garteh
2006-05-19, 06:41 PM
Hi, hope I did the screen shots right, im sort of a newb lol. Anyway..just trying to figure out if this is lossy at all. Thanks for your help!

slimeruky
2006-05-19, 10:57 PM
Would you mind to post a five second or so clip? The SA looks very suspect, but I'd like to poke around myself before making a final decision.

Thanks Garteh. Just a reminder, try your best to keep your torrent program open and seeding when you're done downloading.

Garteh
2006-05-19, 11:18 PM
Sure...heres a small sample:
http://members.cox.net/garteh/pogues1988-04-21d1t11ex1.wav

I had an upload cap till just recently, so I wasn't able to share back nearly as much as I should have, so I offered b&p's mostly. But now, I'm looking forward to posting some stuff(about 50 torrents) that I've been wanting to share.

Five
2006-05-20, 01:44 AM
there's some analog noise and some black blocks punched in the sa but nothing like what you'd see if it was mp3 with that cutoff.

so perhaps it is

a) 32kHz DAT + analog trnasfer > flac
or
b) 32kHz DAT + analog trnasfer + very high bitrate mp3 encoding

I'm leaning towards a)

Garteh
2006-05-20, 02:00 AM
So, is this good to seed on here then? Anybody else see any problems?

Five
2006-05-20, 05:02 PM
yeah, I'm okay with it. I'm pretty sure its okay, just got a very small nagging doubt. we do it innocent until proven guilty here so seed away.

mixwell
2006-05-21, 08:38 AM
Definitely not 32K DAT, but not lossy either. The slope is indicative of a less-than-desirable analog source, most likely a cassette deck or cheaper cassette tape with natural cutoffs around 15k. And there are other processes that can produce that same slope, like the use of Dolby B on the cassette or noise reduction was applied at some point in the lineage.

These are very common lineages of older shows and are often zealously mislabled as lossy.