PDA

View Full Version : If I turn my router off and on, do I need to re-forward my ports?

johnfbutler
2006-05-14, 11:14 AM
SSIA

U2Lynne
2006-05-14, 11:18 AM
Not if all you did was simply turn it off and on. But, if you reset it, you will have to reforward them. Just logon to your router and take a look and see if your information is still entered into the Port Forwarding section of your router.

johnfbutler
2006-05-14, 12:42 PM
Thanks Lynne. All of the correct ports are forwarded, but I'm still showing up as firewalled here, but not at dime. My client is not showing that I'm firewalled and I passed natcheck for the TTD torrent. Not sure what is going on, but I see that there was another recent poster who was having the same trouble.

JB

xequence
2006-05-14, 12:58 PM
Seems to reset the ports when mine gets turned off.

grace
2006-05-14, 02:38 PM
My guess is that you are using DHCP to assign your internal IP addresses. When the router is rebooted it reassigns the internal addresses in a different order than you initially had them set up. So if you had your forwading set up like this:

computer IP Port
1 192.168.0.1 33600
2 192.168.0.2 43600

A reeboot might leave you with the same settings but the computers switched. So your client tries to connect on the same port it always does but finds itself firewalled by the router (That port is forwarded to the other computer now.)

The easiest way to fix this is to turn off DHCP in the router and set static IP addresses for your computers. This way yor forward table and your bittorent client will always be in synch.

I have no idea why you would not show up as firewalled at dime if this happened though.

I hope this helps. If you need any help setting static IP addresses let me know.

johnfbutler
2006-05-14, 04:29 PM
I do have static IP adresses set up. I used the method at:

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

Thanks!

JB