PDA

View Full Version : Discs won't EAC secure, 2nd best option?

emptyzero
2006-01-25, 08:28 PM
Hi, I am transferring some minidiscs for someone else. They recorded 4 shows on 2 MDs in LP2 mode...yuck I know.

A friend of mine has a deck that reads LP2 so he transfered the shows for me onto 4 separate CDRs (1 huge track). Two of these discs EAC secure and two do not. What's the 2nd best option? Here's one of the errored logs:

EAC extraction logfile from 25. January 2006, 18:10 for CD
Unknown Artist / Unknown Title

Used drive : LITE-ON LTR-16102B Adapter: 1 ID: 0
Read mode : Secure with C2, accurate stream, disable cache
Combined read/write offset correction : 0
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

Other options :
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : Yes
Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000

Track 1
Filename C:\Documents and Settings\john\Desktop\Track01.wav

Suspicious position 0:00:00

Copy aborted

There were errors

End of status report

AAR.oner
2006-01-26, 07:25 AM
not positive an answer...but i'ma move this to technobabble where you'll probly get more help

Karst
2006-01-26, 08:22 AM
Ask him to burn the discs again - are you sure they are not CD-RW because that has caused me problems before. Had to leave EAC running overnight to decode them. :disbelief

emptyzero
2006-01-26, 09:17 AM
not positive an answer...but i'ma move this to technobabble where you'll probly get more help

no problem, thank you. should have been thinking of that.

Ask him to burn the discs again - are you sure they are not CD-RW because that has caused me problems before. Had to leave EAC running overnight to decode them. :disbelief

i'll look into that, thanks.

showtaper
2006-01-26, 09:53 AM
Just for grins, can you rip them in burst mode??

emptyzero
2006-01-26, 10:54 AM
yeah I was considering giving that a try and worst case senario listing that in the .txt or maybe trying something else in the FAQ under the Audio Extraction section. pros/cons of iTunes with the error correction on?

weird stuff, I was thinking maybe the 2 shows that won't EAC are from the same MD but that's not the case:

Disc One:
Show A - EAC secure fine
Show B - errors out

Disc Two:
Show C - EAC secure fine
Show D - errors out

so it appears there's issues with the 2nd show on each disc. I don't have model numbers or anything but I was going to talk to my friend tonight but here's a rough lineage:

MD Deck able to read LP2 > standalone burner? > fugi audio-CDRs.

thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

Five
2006-01-26, 11:08 AM
I've had success with Paranoid mode on some difficult discs. You just have to be careful when using it because it can potentially damage your drive. while its reading if you don't see any progress for a little while and hear the exact same grinding sound eminating from yer drive hit "abort".

burst mode might work, but you will have to check in a wav editor for errors (because with this disc there will certainly be some).

also try again in secure mode with C2 disabled

hope this helps

emptyzero
2006-01-26, 12:38 PM
paranoid mode with caution and secure mode with C2 disabled, check.

thanks Five!

ssamadhi97
2006-01-27, 07:24 AM
Burst mode is actually fine (and error-free) in many cases, just be sure to use test & copy and make sure that crcs match. It's actually the first thing I'd try after running into trouble with secure mode, because it's the fastest way and puts the least strain on your drive.

If you have trouble getting matching crcs when "burst-ripping" at full speed, try EAC's speed reduction to 4x or even 2x.

emptyzero
2006-01-29, 12:09 PM
I appreciate everyone's input on this, I plan on getting back to work on those two problem discs today.

emptyzero
2006-01-29, 03:54 PM
Peak level 100.0 %
Test CRC 40B41EC0
Copy CRC 113CC76E
Copy OK

No errors occured

bummer...I'm looking through all of the options to find EAC's speed reduction but cannot find it. would any be able to tell me where it's located?

off to google I go...

emptyzero
2006-01-29, 04:00 PM
I disabled the C2 feature and 'Accurate Stream' was automatically check marked. It's appears to want to rip now so I will try that. Looks like ~1hr for this disc but that's worth it.

emptyzero
2006-01-29, 04:08 PM
UGH...spoke to soon. hit cancel to come post that it was ripping with C2 off then went back to start it up again and now it is coming up with synch errors.

should have let it be! :hmm: :(

emptyzero
2006-01-29, 04:36 PM
stuck in the other of the 2 problem discs and that EACed secure fine with C2 off but it still won't rip the other one. it's like EAC knows the disc now and is saying "oops I already gave you a chance to rip this one with C2 off." :)

emptyzero
2006-01-29, 04:54 PM
Cleared the CRCs out of the database and it looked like it was smooth sailing...made it through the Test fine but then ran into a Suspicious position during the Copy and had to abort.

Looks like I'll need to locate EAC's speed reduction feature and try burst mode again.

Sorry for the multiple posts...hopefully someone out there learns something from this thread though.

ssamadhi97
2006-01-29, 05:16 PM
I'm looking through all of the options to find EAC's speed reduction but cannot find it. would any be able to tell me where it's located?

In EAC -> Drive Options..., on the Offset / Speed tab (speed selection dropdown)

emptyzero
2006-01-29, 08:31 PM
hmm my drive must not support speed selection, all I can do is Actual.

emptyzero
2006-01-29, 08:50 PM
ahh you have to mark Overread into Lead-in and Lead-out. Thanks ssamadhi97.

emptyzero
2006-01-30, 08:23 PM
Secure rip. Turned off C2 and 'drive caches audio data.' Left 'Accurate Stream' on.

Probably as good as it's going to get unless I ask for a reburn (don't really want to bother the guy) or try a different drive?

Would you seed this on a band specific tracker where 95% of the downloaders could care less and the other 5% will download it just to have a copy of the show? ...I know kind of a silly question.

Read mode : Secure with NO C2, accurate stream, NO disable cache
Combined read/write offset correction : 0
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

Other options :
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : Yes

Track 1
Filename C:\Documents and Settings\john\Desktop\Track01.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
Track quality 99.9 %
Test CRC 40B41EC0
Copy CRC 2C7271F6
Copy OK

No errors occured
End of status report

ssamadhi97
2006-01-31, 02:23 PM
No luck with test & copy + speed-limited burst rip?

Personally I'd usually try to extract it on different drives or ask for a reburn as a last resort, but I dunno whether I'd do the latter for an LP2 show (unless it's a show I really care a lot about)

Five
2006-01-31, 02:32 PM
It says "Copy OK" so you have a secure rip that you should not be ashamed of.

my only suggestion is to calculate & set your read offsets (not that it matters for a 1-track disc.

ssamadhi97
2006-01-31, 03:09 PM
It says "Copy OK" so you have a secure rip that you should not be ashamed of.
*ehem* note the crc mismatch, though.

emptyzero
2006-01-31, 05:07 PM
Thanks to the both of ya. I appreciate the input.

Five
2006-02-01, 09:52 AM
*ehem* note the crc mismatch, though.
oh thanks I see the problem now

is there a way to pinpoint the exact problem spot? this track will at least need to be listened to very carefully with headphones!

edit: also perhaps try burst mode to see if you can get that same crc as ssamadhi suggested

also, is it possible that it is the test crc which is incorrect? EAC reported no errors ripping secure but got a different crc which seems strange that it would still say "copy ok" I would think this copy is perfect. somebody told me that "copy ok" is golden.

ssamadhi97
2006-02-01, 10:18 AM
Well, here are the possible scenarios:
1) copy crc correct, test crc incorrect
2) copy crc incorrect, test crc correct
3) copy crc incorrect, test crc incorrect

I guess with problematic discs, 3) is the most likely. And I doubt that 1) is any more likely than 2).

Keep in mind that EAC has no way to actually verify that a track was extracted correctly. Roughly, it bases its "copy ok" tag on the assumption that if it reads a sector n times and gets the same result (let's say x) m times, the cd actually contains x (and not y). However if during the test pass it mostly reads x, and during the copy pass it mostly reads y, there's no way to know whether the cd actually contains x or y. It's even possible that the data originally stored on the cd was z. (all iirc)

...hope that made sense

Edit: note that matching crcs in burst mode don't necessarily indicate a perfect rip either, especially not on problematic discs. iirc people have been reporting (audibly) "better" results with burst mode though.

Five
2006-02-01, 10:41 AM
iirc people have been reporting (audibly) "better" results with burst mode though.
:wtf: but no error checking? I would like to get my hands on a burst rip that sounds better than a secure rip of the same material and zone in on exactly what the differences are. the trouble with burst is that if there's a pop/click there is no error report made. which means that even if burst is better, it requires manual error checking which is even more difficult than it sounds.