PDA

View Full Version : Lossy or lossless question.....wav > .flac sample included

starman714
2005-12-31, 07:05 PM
I don't trust my judgement on these things.Do these appear to be lossy or have FM in their lineage ? It looks a little flat to me.
Thanks

alchemy71085
2005-12-31, 07:30 PM
These screenshots do not say much of anything. Can we see a SA zoomed into a 2 second sample ?

starman714
2005-12-31, 07:41 PM
These screenshots do not say much of anything. Can we see a SA zoomed into a 2 second sample ?

I don't know how to zoom in on that small a piece. I tried , but...?
Wait..think I got it...about 3 sec.

starman714
2005-12-31, 07:58 PM
that ain't it , is it....how 'bout this one ?

ssamadhi97
2005-12-31, 08:37 PM
The interrupted red line in your first SA pic looks rather suspicious to me.

Care to post a sample clip?

starman714
2005-12-31, 08:40 PM
okay..I made a two second sample of the track and did a spectral view on that...is that sufficient , or no ?
Any way to delete the other screenshots uploaded ?
Thanks again.... :confused:

starman714
2005-12-31, 08:45 PM
The interrupted red line in your first SA pic looks rather suspicious to me.

Care to post a sample clip?

sure..here's a 2 sec clip of the tune in .wav > .flac

and a 5 sec. if that's any better...

karmakat
2005-12-31, 10:13 PM
sure..here's a 2 sec clip of the tune in .wav > .flac

and a 5 sec. if that's any better...

Hey Starman...I am leaving this message for you here, because I know you are waiting on a response. Can you send me the link again. I deleted the message on DIME by accident and then couldn't find the torrent.

alchemy71085
2005-12-31, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the samples. I'm going to go ahead and say lossless for sure. I see no blocks on a zoomed in sample, and the FA looks decent in AnalFreq.

Are you sure this is a clean source? Noise Reduction can add a drop-off in the FA.

http://www.studentpersonalpages.loyola.edu/~dgmolda/spectral.bmp

http://www.studentpersonalpages.loyola.edu/~dgmolda/freq.bmp

starman714
2005-12-31, 10:34 PM
Hey Starman...I am leaving this message for you here, because I know you are waiting on a response. Can you send me the link again. I deleted the message on DIME by accident and then couldn't find the torrent.

shucks....I thought you had an expert opinion too throw in....not sure what link ya mean...check pm's...
I'm thinkin' this may be FM sourced after that guys question on DAD and that maybe Swinging Pig threw a curveball at their paying public....fortilix says it's SBD and I trust him as far as he's informed , but not TSP...they sell other ppl's work , after all.
Plus the audience is mighty loud for a SBD...I first posted that it sounded AUD to me but forti said SBD so I edited my description....better check before I seed from now on....not that FM is so bad , but I'd rather know what I'm seeding.... :(

starman714
2005-12-31, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the samples. I'm going to go ahead and say lossless for sure. I see no blocks on a zoomed in sample, and the FA looks decent in AnalFreq.

Are you sure this is a clean source? Noise Reduction can add a drop-off in the FA.

I trust the guy that originally seeded it not to have tampered with it , and I know I didn't , but that doesn't mean Swinging Pig didn't clean something up (radio broadcast?) and sell it as SBD....NR would still show up in a SA of a rip of TSP's silver , right ?

alchemy71085
2005-12-31, 10:40 PM
Yes, I have had very similiar problems in debating if some of TSP's releases are lossy or lossless. You have to keep in mind that since TSP is a silver CD selling comapany (or at least used to be), they are known to process their released material. This processing may also include the deadly noise reduction which can lead to some trouble, like I said in my prior post, when observing the FA and SA of a wave form and determining source origin.

At first glance, this doesn't look like FM either. It sounds it, but doesn't look it, because I don't see the usual spike at 15k.

starman714
2005-12-31, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the help Alchemy....gotta school myself a bit more on zooming in with EAC or similar software....I see the buttons and test 'em out but am not sure if I acheived the desired results all the time....(hence the drawn out messy thread :D )

alchemy71085
2005-12-31, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the help Alchemy....gotta school myself a bit more on zooming in with EAC or similar software....I see the buttons and test 'em out but am not sure if I acheived the desired results all the time....(hence the drawn out messy thread :D )

Sure, no problem. What show is that by the way?

I used Adobe Audition 1.5 for the SA, and AnalFreq for the FA.

AnalFreq is available here:

http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/simtelnet/win95/sound/afreq18.zip

starman714
2005-12-31, 11:10 PM

This is the show...http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=75906

I didn't post a thread as an external link here because I didn't have much lineage info except the boot covers , which is no lineage at all , really...
I posted an external link on one because the info had been written up much better and the show had been commented on extensively it's first time around (which I saved a web archive of)
I tend to post on DAD because I have so much share ratio invested there and I've taken so much from them...
plus on my income bandwidth didn't always come too cheap for me.... :D
(tried to make EVERY day NYE as a kid...didn't work out so well always...just say no ! :nono: )

karmakat
2006-01-01, 12:06 AM
(tried to make EVERY day NYE as a kid...didn't work out so well always...just say no ! :nono: )

Well, I, for one am most glad you learned to say NO, because with us one YES could be your last.

starman714
2006-01-01, 12:31 AM

thanks...one can just extract this file pretty much anywhere and it works , right ?

no need to copy the .dll into Windows System folders ?

starman714
2006-01-01, 12:40 AM
Well, I, for one am most glad you learned to say NO, because with us one YES could be your last.

awwww...shucks.... now look what ya did.... :redface:
:icon_hug:

:wave:

range_hood
2006-01-01, 01:16 PM
Looks like a lossless 32kHz DAT recording upsampled to 44.1kHz. (Response up to 16 kHz. Flipped mirror image at 16kHz and above.)

starman714
2006-01-02, 01:48 AM
Looks like a lossless 32kHz DAT recording upsampled to 44.1kHz. (Response up to 16 kHz. Flipped mirror image at 16kHz and above.)

thanks for the attention...
why would they do that ?
32kHz can't be burned to CD ?
I remember ppl sharing stuff at 48 and ppl not being able to burn it without resampling....

Five
2006-01-02, 02:47 AM
it would have been upsampled to 44.1kHz, range_hood is just suggesting that it possibly started as 32kHz DAT.

I don't know what to say about this one... there is an abrupt cutoff and many extraction small errors are visible but I can't put my finger on what's wrong with this. It still looks mighty suspicious from here, I'll take a closer look & listen tomorrow.

starman714
2006-01-02, 01:56 PM
ok , i'll be looking....
about the upsampling thing ....that can't actually improve the quality of the sound , can it ?

Five
2006-01-03, 02:31 PM
no, but if its done right the sound quality will stay 99% identical. downsampling you have to lose quality, of course.