PDA

View Full Version : Putting a VCD on a DVD?

thisistoto
2005-11-30, 03:39 AM
How can I go about doing this in the simplest way?

ffooky
2005-11-30, 07:08 AM
I'm presuming you have at least one Mac as you were asking about defragging recently.

The easiest way if you have Toast 7.* is to pop your VCD in the drive and either drag out the AVSEQ**.DAT files (found in the MPEGAV folder) and rename them to .mpg or fire up Toast and hit cmd-I. In the bottom partition (Details), the track(s) with the QuickTime icon are the MPEG1 files on your VCD. Select the Tracks you want and hit Save As. The drag & rename method will only work with VCD's, you have to use the Toast extraction with the files within SVCD's.

Once you have enough tracks/movies to make a fullish DVD, you can name them appropriately, go to the Video tab, select DVD-Video and drag 'em all in. You can create a menu, edit the titles and then either allow Toast to encode to DVD spec with its default settings or choose your own parameters by selecting the Custom button and hitting More. I suggest you try a few settings and create a disc image which you can then view with DVD Player so you can get a disc space/quality balance you're happy with.

SundayDriver
2005-11-30, 03:28 PM
I hope this is for personal enjoyment and not for trading.

thisistoto
2005-12-01, 12:23 PM
thanks for ur help

lingusmiles
2005-12-01, 01:21 PM
actually, mpeg-1 files do not need to be reencoded to put on dvd.

hiding
2005-12-01, 01:33 PM
Yeah, don't trade DVDs from VCD. That's like turning an mp3 into flac. :nono:

gsmyth79
2005-12-01, 03:02 PM
This info is useful if your DVD player doesn't play vcds. ffooky's info was very helpful to me because that was something that I wanted to do a long time ago but forgot; I hope I can find that disc now....

Toto wouldn't trade anything VCD > DVD without making a note of it. I got your back bro.

p_k
2005-12-01, 03:31 PM
try... for windows

bin/cue -> mpeg
http://www.vcdgear.com/download.html

then render that mpeg1 to mpeg2
then make yur dvd.....

cmaz
2005-12-01, 03:32 PM
actually, mpeg-1 files do not need to be reencoded to put on dvd.

If no reencoding is necessary, how does one go about burning it on a dvd so that it will play on a dvd player? Do you just burn the mpg file and it will play?

lingusmiles
2005-12-01, 04:03 PM
you just need authoring software, dvd architect for example. if the mpeg 1 file is 352x480 it should not need to be rendered to mpeg 2. i used to do this with television shows that i had in vcd format. you can fit like 6 hours or so of vcd footage on a dvd.

thisistoto
2005-12-01, 05:27 PM
lingus, I was asking becuase there are 2 phish shows that I have that are on vcd (your probably know which ones ) and I just wanted to put them onto a DVD just for my own viewing.

ie 4.15.04.

spacejam1
2005-12-01, 08:46 PM
Maybe someone can help me here. I converted a vcd to svcd. Everything went fine except I couldn't tell any difference in the quality at all! I figured that the svcd would have a better pic then the vcd. Did I do something wrong or what.

gsmyth79
2005-12-02, 12:08 AM
If you have a VCD you can't "upgrade" to SVCD by converting. That's like trying to go mp3 > FLAC. With these kind of conversions you can only go "down" in quality and not "up".

thisistoto
2005-12-02, 12:20 AM
Would I be able to do this in a less crazy program (ie DVD Architect) and somethign more simpler like Toast or another mac program?

gsmyth79
2005-12-02, 12:29 AM
Would I be able to do this in a less crazy program (ie DVD Architect) and somethign more simpler like Toast or another mac program?

ffooky's post only uses Toast. Lay off the pipe man. :rolleyes:

I'll probably try that this weekend if I can find the VCD.

Oh that pipe comment is a joke in case you don't get my humor.

ffooky
2005-12-02, 01:34 AM
If you're making a DVD in Toast 7 solely of DVD compliant MPEG1 files as described above by lingusmiles, click the "More" button at the bottom of the options drawer of the Video tab. At the subsequent window select the Encoding tab, click the Custom button and set the Reencoding option to Never. You might want to try Automatic (if it seems to be taking a very long time you know it IS reencoding) but Never would be certain to do want you want.

thisistoto
2005-12-09, 03:39 AM
I'm presuming you have at least one Mac as you were asking about defragging recently.

The easiest way if you have Toast 7.* is to pop your VCD in the drive and either drag out the AVSEQ**.DAT files (found in the MPEGAV folder) and rename them to .mpg or fire up Toast and hit cmd-I. In the bottom partition (Details), the track(s) with the QuickTime icon are the MPEG1 files on your VCD. Select the Tracks you want and hit Save As. The drag & rename method will only work with VCD's, you have to use the Toast extraction with the files within SVCD's.

Once you have enough tracks/movies to make a fullish DVD, you can name them appropriately, go to the Video tab, select DVD-Video and drag 'em all in. You can create a menu, edit the titles and then either allow Toast to encode to DVD spec with its default settings or choose your own parameters by selecting the Custom button and hitting More. I suggest you try a few settings and create a disc image which you can then view with DVD Player so you can get a disc space/quality balance you're happy with.

worked perfectly. thank you so much.

ffooky
2005-12-09, 07:46 AM
Nice to hear it :)