PDA

View Full Version : I've never seen this before.....lossy or not?

greenheatherc
2005-11-29, 09:42 AM
So I'm new at this whole SA/FA thing so maybe this isn't a big deal but I've never seen anything like it.

greenheatherc
2005-11-29, 09:43 AM
And while I've got your attention....what do you think about this one?

AAR.oner
2005-11-29, 10:23 AM
hey heather...can you zoom those in to around 2 secs? can't tell if thats a pilot tone or a mirroring affect...

Five
2005-11-29, 04:42 PM
the first one has a strange mirror effect and what I like to call "death star groove" up the middle. I've seen only a couple like that before. I ripped a vhs tape last year that looked like that, I was using creative sb live at that time, perhaps this is the culprit. as for what it is & how it happens ssamadhi97 explained it somewhere in this forum a while ago perhaps he will post here.

it is probably lossless, but I have to see more

the 2nd one looks totally okay from what I can see so far

2 second zooms as aar suggests would be helpful

I would also love to check a yousendit.com sample of the 1st track if you find the time (10-20 seconds or just a short track would be great)

and sorry to keep you waiting for your package I will mail it very very soon. I added a couple of bonus discs (melon) that you will love!

ssamadhi97
2005-12-04, 08:50 PM
Erm. Yes. Sorry, forgot to reply.

Look for my brief explanation of "aliasing" in this thread:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11710

Basically it's introduced whenever some kind of ghetto upsampling filter is used on audio material.

And by "ghetto" I mean something really dumb, like just duplicating samples as needed until there are enough for the desired sampling frequency (like for example EAC - or whatever performs resampling for it - does), instead of properly interpolating them.

Five
2005-12-05, 11:18 AM
just to clarify, you mean the EAC SA. EAC's read/write functions are flawless. thanks for finding that post, too!

ssamadhi97
2005-12-05, 07:42 PM
Actually I was referring to resampling performed by EAC (for example when converting non-44.1kHz content to 44.1kHz).

But you're right, that doesn't happen anywhere near its digital audio extraction routines.