PDA

View Full Version : Lossy or Lossless

alchemy71085
2005-11-04, 12:47 PM
Never seen anything like this before- the frequency analysis looks fine but I don't like the way that spectral view is "cut off". Supposed lineage:

FM>tape (1st. gen.)>cd-r>eac>wav>flac

Unfortunately, since I got these screen caps. from someone else, I don't have any other pictures then what's here. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Five
2005-11-04, 12:53 PM
the carrier (aka red stripe) is missing, which makes this a little suspicious. it is also possible that somebody has carefully removed it.

so I can't really tell from these pics if this is good or not

get us some audio from the show if you can

ssamadhi97
2005-11-06, 02:14 PM
Never seen anything like this before- the frequency analysis looks fine but I don't like the way that spectral view is "cut off".
A spectral view that cuts off between 15 and 16 kHz is not abnormal for an FM recording, and the cassette lineage might explain the missing 19kHz pilot tone. Still, I agree with Five: its complete absence makes me a bit wary.

By the way, a noise floor between -84dB and -96dB as shown by the frequency analysis can be safely considered a "cut off" as well, if the actual signal is significantly stronger in the lower frequencies (note the step / drop-off at 15kHz in your FA).

alchemy71085
2005-11-07, 08:34 PM
This same torrent was actually banned today for other reasons (skips in tracks), so this is now dead. I have already deleted the .flac files off of my hard drive. Thanks for the feedback though.