PDA

View Full Version : A question about burning shows.

Colour
2005-10-06, 07:28 PM
Hello.

This may be a stupid question, but I must ask nonetheless.

I have decided now to backup part of my bootleg collection onto CD. Being that I am slightly paranoid/obsessive compulsive about burning things, I want to ensure that perfect copies are being made.

How would I go about this? I may already know, and it's probably very simple, but I want to ensure the bootlegs are burned properly. Of course, I want to burn them such that I can trade them in the future.

I have Nero 5 Burning Rom, by the way.

I apologize in advance if a similar thread has been made before.

TheMamba
2005-10-06, 08:40 PM
Just burn the shows as a data disk - I'm using 6 and it's called a CD ROM (ISO).

Hopefully you have MD5's of the shows - you can check those against the disks after the burn is complete. Same with FFP's. If those check out - you've got exact copies of what you downloaded.

Colour
2005-10-09, 01:53 PM
Hats off to you. That's all I thought I had to do.

Thank you.

mad_hatter
2005-10-25, 08:16 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread and this is sort of along the same lines already.

What if i want to burn the files onto an audio CD. I'm new to flac and shn and i don't want to convert them to mp3 because i can't trade them. I don't like listening to music on my computer, i want audio copies. is there a plug-in for nero so that i can burn them onto audio CD?

AAR.oner
2005-10-25, 10:54 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread and this is sort of along the same lines already.

What if i want to burn the files onto an audio CD. I'm new to flac and shn and i don't want to convert them to mp3 because i can't trade them. I don't like listening to music on my computer, i want audio copies. is there a plug-in for nero so that i can burn them onto audio CD?
nero flac plugin http://www.bitburners.com/Nero_Audio_Plugins/

it'll convert automatically when burning Audio CDs...but i would still back up the shows to data disc with all the checksums, etc. for trading.

mad_hatter
2005-10-25, 11:16 PM
When I was trading shows before I never downloaded any. I had bought a few then traded for the rest. I stopped for about a year and now there's these great sites for getting them and I'm terribly confused about the proper etiquette of trading these downloaded shows.

So, when i trade flac sourced shows with people they're going to want a data disc with the original files? or is it a wishy washy subject amongst traders? I don't want to send someone a show that they won't be pleased with. Happy trades make this world go round.

AAR.oner
2005-10-26, 09:32 AM
When I was trading shows before I never downloaded any. I had bought a few then traded for the rest. I stopped for about a year and now there's these great sites for getting them and I'm terribly confused about the proper etiquette of trading these downloaded shows.

So, when i trade flac sourced shows with people they're going to want a data disc with the original files? or is it a wishy washy subject amongst traders? I don't want to send someone a show that they won't be pleased with. Happy trades make this world go round.
re: Audio shows -- used to alot of people traded in regular Audio CD format, but these days most traders prefer lossless files [flac, shn, etc] *WITH* info text/lineage, checksum [md5, ffp, st5], and any artwork that was included with the show...Audio CDs need to be extracted using EAC [which can lead to errors], so trading in data disc format is the preferred method.

also with DVD shows, most traders want you to include the md5 checksum, info texts, art, etc when trading a DVD show.

skippy1
2005-11-08, 02:56 PM
Hello.

This may be a stupid question, but I must ask nonetheless.

I have decided now to backup part of my bootleg collection onto CD. Being that I am slightly paranoid/obsessive compulsive about burning things, I want to ensure that perfect copies are being made.

How would I go about this? I may already know, and it's probably very simple, but I want to ensure the bootlegs are burned properly. Of course, I want to burn them such that I can trade them in the future.

I have Nero 5 Burning Rom, by the way.

I apologize in advance if a similar thread has been made before.

I burn data discs also. There is a box you can check on the Nero 6 after you're done burning the data disc, it will verify the data afterwards.

gsmyth79
2005-11-08, 06:05 PM
also with DVD shows, most traders want you to include the md5 checksum, info texts, art, etc when trading a DVD show.

Actually I find that not to be the case when trading DVDs. I've traded almost exclusively in DVD-ROM (UDF) format with no text file or md5 included. Even in vines (although the thread may have that info) I have seen this, although when I seed vines it is with md5 and txt as data. In theory not having md5 and txt shouldn't be a problem becaue you are able to easily make an exact copy and still have it work in your player without conversion or anything, ie dragging the VIDEO_TS folder to your HD. But sometimes when I burn with Toast it changes the VIDEO_TS.BUP and .IFO file. I actually haven't had any problems trading those shows at all, but the fact reamins that those 2 small files are different. As I said I haven't had one problem except when trading a few PAL formatted DVDs. The dude's player couldn't play them because it was old.

EDIT: I say this from experience, people usually don't care. I never ask for data discs specifically either. I asked people if they wanted md5s or text files when I first started trading but no one really wanted them. I've only had one request for md5s in the probably 25 DVD trades I've done. I try and remind the people receiving the discs to test them and see if they work when they get them. For example I just tested a disc I got in a trade and it was blank. Unfortunately this is like a month afer I got the discs...