PDA

View Full Version : Splitting a File

Jerseyguy1957
2015-05-03, 07:51 PM
I have several shows that are 1 large file. What is a good easy to use program to split these into separate tracks? Thanks. :cool:

dasmueller
2015-05-03, 08:17 PM
Most folks say to use CDWave I have never tried it. I use Audacity. First and foremost, whatever you use make a copy/copies and play w them to learn how the software works.

rspencer
2015-05-04, 12:10 AM
Any DAW software should do it. As mentioned, CDWave & Audacity. I use Soundforge.
Also, excellent advice from das in regards to working on a copy. Always edit a copy of the raw file. That way, should you make a irreversible error, you haven't lost the show.

Eyke
2015-05-23, 12:34 PM
Another thing, remember to Quantize for CD Audio, this moves your markers to the next block. It might be called aligning, depending your preferred software, I use Diamond Cut for editing, but just me. :)

Good luck.

:cheers:

Audioarchivist
2015-05-23, 08:55 PM
Another thing, remember to Quantize for CD Audio, this moves your markers to the next block. It might be called aligning, depending your preferred software, I use Diamond Cut for editing, but just me. :)

Good luck.

:cheers:

yeah, that's important to make sure that your split files won't have sector boundary errors if your files will be burned to CD. That's not necessarily as important if files are only played back on the computer or a digital media device. You can cut anywhere, but there are 75 frames per second or blocks or sectors, whatever you wanna call it, to align to. I try and cut to make files that have no fractions - whole seconds with no decimals. That always makes files with no sector boundary errors...

I use Wavelab for the most part for my mastering and editing. While it does automatically split to sector boundaries for those fractional cuts, it only seems to work on 16/44.1 files. I work mostly with 24/96 files so I do it manually in hi res, and then downsample and dither the split files to 16/44.1, and those files are always error free...

firemt66
2015-05-24, 02:14 PM
What does cds sound like with sector boundries sound like,and if ur just listening to the show on a hard drive,same as cd?

Audioarchivist
2015-05-24, 05:22 PM
What does cds sound like with sector boundries sound like,and if ur just listening to the show on a hard drive,same as cd?

A show with SBE's has clicks or small hesitations between tracks when burned to a disc - files would still be seamless on a gapless media player. If you were to rip a CD burned with SBE's, there would be some small gaps in the ripped files...

firemt66
2015-05-26, 02:44 PM
with traders little helper should one use pad or fix with align on sector boundries?

zootype
2015-05-26, 08:20 PM
with traders little helper should one use pad or fix with align on sector boundries?

I just use "fix' and the other defaults and save the fixed files to a new folder...seems to work.

rspencer
2015-05-26, 11:31 PM
Yes, use "fix and align." Pad will just add empty space to make the sectors align, creating bigger gaps.

firemt66
2015-05-27, 09:05 AM
ok, now ive uploaded a bunch of masters recordings without aligning the sector boundries cause ive read that its not always needed with digital recordings,can i assume that if there were sector boundry errors that i would be told there errors?

mdshrk1
2015-05-27, 09:52 AM
If you use CD Wave Editor, it automatically splits on the boundary. But, I think you would get some kind of error message.

firemt66
2015-05-27, 11:46 AM
cool,thats what i always use... thats proberly where i read that info

Jay
2015-05-28, 12:34 AM
cool,thats what i always use... thats proberly where i read that info

Probably not proberly.

firemt66
2015-05-28, 05:51 PM
Probably not proberly.
Dam,cool u caught a tiepoe..heres another one :)