The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2007-11-17, 07:46 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Gnarls Barkley's spectral view

Here the 3 sec. slice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gnarls Barkley's Spec View.jpg
( 128.9 KB, 42 views)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-11-17, 08:33 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcv111
Hmmm...
Interesting. I was asked for a 3-4 second slice. I gave you 10 sec. slice. And that won't decode? What might be the reason for that? And how to go on further if you can't say straight from the spectral view image if it's lossy or not?
yes, the 10 sec flac file you posted would not decode for me [i'm using xACT v1.62 - getting the error "unparseable stream"]...but that issue aside

from what i can see, this **seems** to be an analogue FM recording, which according to our standards here at TTD would be acceptable to torrent...however, we're talking about an artist that uses samples for his beats, which can cause different results compared to a typical recording of acoustic or "traditional" instruments...

but i don't have as much experience when it comes to european FM feeds, so if i were you i would wait to get a more definitive answer from a few of the ABT mods [jameskg, dcbullet, Five] or one of the other resident experts such as ssamadhi

just a fwiw, but we [TTD Staff] don't get paid for this, have busy lives outside of the internet, etc -- so you might want to be a bit more patient when asking for opinions/help, otherwise you come off as an arrogant ass...to properly analyze a SA for lossy/lossless purposes, it helps to be able to see the sample in a few different time lengths, which is why jameskg was asking for a different sample length [and Five would've asked for the same thing ]...again, i just say this as a fwiw, you can say/act however you want really, just don't be surprised if no one helps you
Old 2007-11-17, 11:43 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
yes, the 10 sec flac file you posted would not decode for me [i'm using xACT v1.62 - getting the error "unparseable stream"]...but that issue aside

from what i can see, this **seems** to be an analogue FM recording, which according to our standards here at TTD would be acceptable to torrent...however, we're talking about an artist that uses samples for his beats, which can cause different results compared to a typical recording of acoustic or "traditional" instruments...

but i don't have as much experience when it comes to european FM feeds, so if i were you i would wait to get a more definitive answer from a few of the ABT mods [jameskg, dcbullet, Five] or one of the other resident experts such as ssamadhi

just a fwiw, but we [TTD Staff] don't get paid for this, have busy lives outside of the internet, etc -- so you might want to be a bit more patient when asking for opinions/help, otherwise you come off as an arrogant ass...to properly analyze a SA for lossy/lossless purposes, it helps to be able to see the sample in a few different time lengths, which is why jameskg was asking for a different sample length [and Five would've asked for the same thing ]...again, i just say this as a fwiw, you can say/act however you want really, just don't be surprised if no one helps you
Yup.
I actually might do know why the sound sample I sent you didn't decode/open: possibly because of I closed the upload window before the upload was "ready".

Yup. I do understand the rest of your statements about conduct etc. Never, ever been in this kind of a situation before, though I've been a member of various sites like TTD before. But that discussion don't really belong right here in this forum.

BTW: Why did you pull off Misfits? In just curious. That's all.
Old 2007-11-17, 12:09 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Them shortenings once again! What does "fwiw" mean?
Old 2007-11-17, 12:17 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Right! For What It's Worth = fwiw. Thanks for Wikipedia
Old 2007-11-17, 12:23 PM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

For What It's Worth
Old 2007-11-17, 12:28 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys
For What It's Worth
Yup. I already got it thanks for Wikipedia. But anyway thanks for your reply as well.
Old 2007-11-17, 12:45 PM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

i'm a giver
Old 2007-11-17, 12:50 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys
i'm a giver
Right!

BTW. Listening to right now Bad Brains: Build A Nation.
Old 2007-11-17, 04:17 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcv111
BTW: Why did you pull off Misfits? In just curious. That's all.
Of course! By your own words: "no source/lineage." OK. Fine.
Old 2007-11-20, 02:40 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

looks like a regular fm, good source to me

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-11-20, 02:55 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
looks like a regular fm, good source to me
Yup. That's what I thought... No matter what you said in before hand or whom what so ever...

Thanks for your reply!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?