The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-01-19, 10:55 PM
Morguean
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Khz too low. (Noob)

Hello! (This is my first thread, so please pardon me if I do anything incorrect, even after reading through the rules, and the archive!)

I use Windows XP. The problem I am having is that I taped a show on a Panasonic RR-US360 last night. The software that came with my recorder is called "Voice Studio." This software allows me to take the file that I recorded on the recorder and move it to the hard drive of my computer by way of a USB cable.

The problem that I am having is that the software allows me to save the file either as a 22, 16, or 11 Khz file. I would like to save it to my hard drive (and convert it for sharing!) as a 44 Khz file. Seeing as how the software doesn't allow me to save the file at such a high Khz rate, I'm stuck.

Could you possibly recommend other software or any other solution to this problem? Thank you so very much, in advance, for your help!!!

-Morguean
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-20, 08:26 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Re: Khz too low. (Noob)

Your digital voice recorder probably does not record any higher than 22KHz sample rate, and therefore the software does not provide the option. For just recording human voice, a maximum bandwidth of 11KHz is more than OK, so I would venture to say that human speech sounds fine on this recorder. It is not, however, suitable for music. Your limitation here is your hardware, not the software, so the only recommendation that could be made is to switch over to DAT or MD.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-20, 11:47 AM
Morguean
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Oh, I see. That makes a lot of sense now that you explained it that way! I know MD is MiniDisc, but what is DAT?

Do you happen to know any software that I can use to turn the recording that I have to flac so that I can share it with a few of my friends for personal, and not for trading use? (...and get some experience for when I do get another recording method?)

Thank you so very much for your help!
Old 2005-01-20, 11:52 AM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

DAT = Digital Audio Tape

Multi Front End will do the job for the flac quite nicely, you can get that here:

http://members.home.nl/w.speek/multi.htm

Flac frontend will also work, you can get that here:

http://mikewren.com/flac/
Old 2005-01-20, 12:07 PM
Morguean
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Very cool! Thank you so much! I'm going to try to use one of those software programs to cut the massive .wav file into .flac files.

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 2005-01-20, 03:34 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I have made a specially packaged version of FLAC Frontend for the TTD gang. Basically it's just the most essential files zipped up like mult-frontend, making it a teeny tiny download. Most people don't need all the extra stuff that comes with the 'official' version, plus the flac binary packaged with the official version is out-of-date. You can get my package and the flac binary via my website.
Old 2005-01-20, 03:49 PM
Yeah, that's a zebra donkey
110.97 GB/130.20 GB/1.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguean
Very cool! Thank you so much! I'm going to try to use one of those software programs to cut the massive .wav file into .flac files.

Thank you so much for your help!
I might be misreading this, but you don't want to use the FLAC frontend to cut a massive .wav file. You need to use CDWave (a free program) to do that so that it cuts on sector boundaries. That will give you lots of smaller .wav files from the big .wav, and then you use the FLAC frontend to make those into FLAC files. Hope that helps.

-Phil
Old 2005-01-20, 10:03 PM
Morguean
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I see. I was really asking for someone else, and misunderstood. He's doing all the technical stuff to a show I recorded.

If I put the following into the .txt file: This show was taped on the Panasonic RR-US360 at 22 Kpbs, which was the “high quality” setting. We later found out that this setting only recorded to 22 Kpbs instead of 44.1 Kpbs. We used Audacity to correct this problem.

Would I be allowed to share it here, or would the quality be too low? Again, as long as i include that it was at 22khz in the text, can i share this here?

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Old 2005-01-20, 10:06 PM
Morguean
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Oh, I'm sorry. It's Khz NOT Kbps. Sorry about that.
Old 2005-01-21, 05:31 AM
rerem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I presume it would have to be the CD level 44.1 khz. There is a site,Tapersection.com that,like this, is a sign-up forum. They discuss all aspects of recording live from recorders-to mics-to accessories. There is a site soundprofessionals.com that sells mini-mics and various recorders. The future seems headed toward recorders that record to compact hard drives of 10-40gb,or to compact flash cards. A Dat is a very complex mechanism,but the compact flash units have no moving parts. The real key is outfits like Sony and Panasonic are ending support of the DAT format.
Old 2005-01-21, 08:01 AM
17.28 GB/43.13 GB/2.50

Quote:
If I put the following into the .txt file: This show was taped on the Panasonic RR-US360 at 22 Kpbs, which was the “high quality” setting. We later found out that this setting only recorded to 22 Kpbs instead of 44.1 Kpbs. We used Audacity to correct this problem.
Audacity (or anything else) cannot correct the problem which is that it is recorded at too low a sample rate to reproduce the full sonic spectrum of the music. A sound must be digitally recorded at a sample rate at least twice the highest frequency in the sound.

Quote:
Would I be allowed to share it here, or would the quality be too low? Again, as long as i include that it was at 22khz in the text, can i share this here?
I can only speak for myself but IMHO the quality would be too low. What does it sound like ?
Old 2005-01-21, 09:11 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

First of all, something recorded with a 22KHz sample rate would not be suitable for seeding here on TTD, and I doubt that many traders (other than personal friends) would be interested in it at all if this information were disclosed in the main info file in the first place. The recorders, like I said before, are for recording human voice, not music. 22KHz is simply not a high enough sample rate to accurately capture music in CD quality form.

You cannot "fix" the problem of having too low a sample-rate. All it's going to do is repeat a lot of samples, double the file's size, and retain identical (or worse, depending on the quality of the algorithm) sound quality. I am somewhat leery of things recorded even at the 32KHz that MD and some DAT decks used, but this value has been defined by the trading community as somewhat of a "base mimimum", and that is the guideline we use on this site.

And rerem is absolutely right, I failed to mention hard-disk based recording units in my list of possible alternatives. Assuming they have decent line-in circuitry and can indeed create 44.1 KHz 16-bit audio files, they are worth recording with for mass sharing. DAT may be on the way out as people move towards HD based units, and anyone interested in taping for the community should consider these as an option before purchasing anything.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-09-28, 03:14 PM
verit
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Does anyone know where I can download a copy of the Panasonic Voice Recorder software? I can't find my disk and panasonic's web site doesn't have it.

Thanks
Old 2006-03-13, 12:54 PM
Monika
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Question Re: Khz too low. (Noob)

See your other post.

Last edited by TheMamba; 2006-03-13 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Don't do it here either.
Old 2006-03-13, 07:40 PM
144.21 GB/35.83 GB/0.25

I would like to hear what it sounds like- and if its really worth the effort.

The only thing I can think of is doing an analog capture, like you would capture from a tape or something like that- setting the recording kHz level in your recording program to 44. But I'm thinking that won't work for some reason. I don't know.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble