The Traders' Den  

  The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions
 

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 2006-06-13, 09:31 PM
skodechoker
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---
 
Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

You keep contradicting yourself though

You agree with that, but then you disagree with it. By stating that a electronic trade is no different, than you are insinuating that anyone with a bad ratio is not a good snail mail trader.

My whole point to arguing was Calvins insistence that because woody has a bad ratio that he is automatically assumed to be a bad snail mail trader.

They are seperate instances, and there are hindrances sometimes which holds someone back from sharing to the 1:1, older torrents with a lack of leechers, slow upload, a wide variety of things.

No one should be branded a bad snail mail trader because of their ratio, electronic is one thing, mail and actual discs is another. I have a shit ratio, but thats not going to stop me from fulfilling a snail mail trade or trying my hardest with my limitations to better my ratio (which was even worse a week ago ).
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #17  
Old 2006-06-13, 09:49 PM
Festafarian's Avatar
Festafarian Festafarian is offline
1.07 TB/1.15 TB/1.08
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mayberry, NC
Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

first I'd like to say that i had a great trading experience with Ragu.... i find it hard to believe that he would lie. Where are you buddy? what's your side of the story?

About the ratio thing, I too live in a small town with only one isp to choose from. I have a difficult time keeping my ratio just above 1.0, but i manage. Sometimes i just have to stop d/l for a while and seed. It's the only fair thing to do.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by reece
You must be one of those conniving jews, or an ebonics talking black. Or, worse yet, a black jew. Only sellin' your crack to other jews. And when you do sell to others, you give a 10 dollar piece for 20 dollars.
The NEW list.... Festafarian.com

I do B&Ps

myspace.com/festafarian

Ziggy's
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #18  
Old 2006-06-14, 01:59 AM
rknhrse112@YAHOO.COM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---
 
Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

hi everbody
i just would like to trade period . my ratio is zero !! but i got great stuff just would like to trade instead of one or two email and then fade away !!!! just cause i don't have a website doesn't mean i don't have great stuff and can provide pleanty of titles upon request !!!!! so why not ask !!!
rnkhrse112@ aol.com
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #19  
Old 2006-06-14, 07:24 AM
Chachi420's Avatar
Chachi420 Chachi420 is offline
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by skodechoker
You keep contradicting yourself though

You agree with that, but then you disagree with it. By stating that a electronic trade is no different, than you are insinuating that anyone with a bad ratio is not a good snail mail trader.

My whole point to arguing was Calvins insistence that because woody has a bad ratio that he is automatically assumed to be a bad snail mail trader.

They are seperate instances, and there are hindrances sometimes which holds someone back from sharing to the 1:1, older torrents with a lack of leechers, slow upload, a wide variety of things.

No one should be branded a bad snail mail trader because of their ratio, electronic is one thing, mail and actual discs is another. I have a shit ratio, but thats not going to stop me from fulfilling a snail mail trade or trying my hardest with my limitations to better my ratio (which was even worse a week ago ).
ok, one last explanation since you are obviously slow on the issue.
Snail mail trades are separate from electronic trades. Agreed. We both agree that it is important to trade 1 to 1 on snail mail trades. Electronic trades are still "trades" therefore they need to also try for 1:1 ratio. There is no difference in that a "trade" requires the two parties to be on equal terms.

By your reasoning, for being electronicly defecient as you say your bandwidth is, than one would not have to honor snail mail trades because the post office is too far away....or likewise because they can't afford stamps/discs etc. So it would then be ok in your mind to not honor your part of the trade with someone for these types of defencies as well? That makes no sense.

The fact of the matter is that EVERYBODY has faster dl speeds than ul speeds. That is why we have to monitor our ul/dl individually since there is no official rule on the matter. If everyone had poor ratios like your 0.3 then I guarantee you this site would not still be around. Period. FWIW, my internet is 500 kbps dl and 35 to 40 kbps ul. That doesn't mean that I should have a ul/dl ratio of 40/500, or 0.08.

It all comes down to giving back what you receive--whether for snail mail or electronicly, they are both "trades".

I think that should be clear now...at least to everybody but skodechoker!
__________________
"dance to Jah music, dance....forget your sorrows and dance...forget your troubles and dance....forget your sickness and dance....forget your weakness and dance..." ~B.Marley

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #20  
Old 2006-06-14, 07:26 AM
Chachi420's Avatar
Chachi420 Chachi420 is offline
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festafarian
first I'd like to say that i had a great trading experience with Ragu.... i find it hard to believe that he would lie. Where are you buddy? what's your side of the story?

About the ratio thing, I too live in a small town with only one isp to choose from. I have a difficult time keeping my ratio just above 1.0, but i manage. Sometimes i just have to stop d/l for a while and seed. It's the only fair thing to do.
because festafarian is a good person and a good trader! (who I've never traded with before, at least by snail mail, but by the >1.0 ratio, festafarian is by definition a good trader!)
__________________
"dance to Jah music, dance....forget your sorrows and dance...forget your troubles and dance....forget your sickness and dance....forget your weakness and dance..." ~B.Marley

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #21  
Old 2006-06-14, 07:47 AM
calvin1663
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---
 
Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

@ chachi...



HEAR HEAR
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #22  
Old 2006-06-14, 07:49 AM
calvin1663
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---
 
Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by skodechoker
You take this wayyyyyyyyyyy too personal. Its one thing if someone rips you off in a snail mail trade, its another if theres 1 seeder and a leecher finishes a download and jumps off before the others finish which I have not and would not do.


A Snail Mail trade does not equate to a ratio. You cannot tell if someone is going to rip you off in a snail mail trade by their ratio, its one thing if its your prerogative not to trade with that person but to assume that publically is a fallacy.

1. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. He's taking it personally?!?!? Who's been defending woody with a post a minute, when he's not spoken once in a reply himself?!?

2. Wrong.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #23  
Old 2006-06-14, 11:38 AM
skodechoker
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---
 
Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin1663
1. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. He's taking it personally?!?!? Who's been defending woody with a post a minute, when he's not spoken once in a reply himself?!?

2. Wrong.

1. I'm not "defending" woody, for lack of a better word. I do believe that every side is entitled to the benefit of the doubt in regards to issues like this until both sides are fully heard. Woody has done nothing for me to believe he's lying. Ragu has neither but neither of them have said anything else as of yet.

2. How is it wrong? I have a poor ratio, but look at my track record for snailmail trades, while Im a "noob" here, Ive never had a bad trade snail mail wise here or anywhere. So Im perfect on snail mail, ratio wise its not spectacular through.no.fault.of.my.own. I also do B&Ps, vines and trade with virtually anyone as per the rules of this site suggest if you cant via the torrents.

Get your head out of your ass calvin.

Last edited by skodechoker; 2006-06-14 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #24  
Old 2006-06-14, 11:56 AM
U2Lynne's Avatar
U2Lynne U2Lynne is offline
TTD Staff
471.57 GB/2.01 TB/4.37
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Re: Does poor ratio equate bad trader?

Just wanted to add my two cents here as a user, not an Admin or a Mod. I've talked to many users who have "bad" ratios and many or them (not all by any means) do realize that they cannot keep their ratios up (for various reasons) and they do many other very useful things like Vine the shows or B&P them or just trade them. There are some of us, like me, who don't have the time for trades or b&ps or starting vines and so we just leave our bt windows open for as long as possible. It is actually impossible for everyone on this site to have a ratio of 1:1 when there are a bunch of people that have a ratio over 1:1.
__________________
Five's Checksums Demystified - everything and anything you want to know about checksums
On a Mac? Get XLD to rip your CDs. Please see this guide - X Lossless Decoder (XLD): How to create flawless CD rips on Mac OS X

TTD GoFundMe Campaign

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #25  
Old 2006-06-14, 12:04 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---
 
Re: Does poor ratio equate bad trader?

I think i would lose my hard on for Chachi if he ever stopped acting like a little bitch. Here's to that hot little Bitch.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #26  
Old 2006-06-14, 12:32 PM
jdawson's Avatar
jdawson jdawson is offline
387.29 GB/867.01 GB/2.24
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Re: Does poor ratio equate bad trader?

lynne i am in almost the same situation, my husband doens't want our address going out. I trade with limited people.


on a side note... anyone remember cathy liebchen on STG? I don't think they had ratios on STG (until the bitter end) but I remember her seeding about half the stuff on the vines. I never knew her share ratio, personally it wouldn't make a difference. I think you show the kind of person you are by your actions on here. Its more than just your share ratio, more than just what you seed, vine or b&p. It's the whole package. Personally, i don't know ragu but I liked the fact that he asked for opinions without naming names, trying to find out the right thing to do. This woody person came out name calling and admitting that he was the person who sent the stuff to him, all with a bad attitude. The actions by the people involved would definitely have a bearing on who I dealt with in a trade, not just a share ratio.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #27  
Old 2006-06-14, 12:48 PM
Cyndiotta's Avatar
Cyndiotta Cyndiotta is offline
17.53 GB/96.51 GB/5.51
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: where I live is where I'm at
Re: Does poor ratio equate bad trader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson
lynne i am in almost the same situation, my husband doens't want our address going out. I trade with limited people.


on a side note... anyone remember cathy liebchen on STG? I don't think they had ratios on STG (until the bitter end) but I remember her seeding about half the stuff on the vines. I never knew her share ratio, personally it wouldn't make a difference. I think you show the kind of person you are by your actions on here. Its more than just your share ratio, more than just what you seed, vine or b&p. It's the whole package. Personally, i don't know ragu but I liked the fact that he asked for opinions without naming names, trying to find out the right thing to do. This woody person came out name calling and admitting that he was the person who sent the stuff to him, all with a bad attitude. The actions by the people involved would definitely have a bearing on who I dealt with in a trade, not just a share ratio.


Cathy Liebchen ...I often wonder what became of her Judy...man she had the wealth of a phenomenal collection and shared it so freely !!
__________________
The sexual position "69" will now be called "96" due to inflation. The cost of eating out has gone up
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #28  
Old 2006-06-14, 12:51 PM
Festafarian's Avatar
Festafarian Festafarian is offline
1.07 TB/1.15 TB/1.08
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mayberry, NC
Re: Does poor ratio equate bad trader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Just wanted to add my two cents here as a user, not an Admin or a Mod. I've talked to many users who have "bad" ratios and many or them (not all by any means) do realize that they cannot keep their ratios up (for various reasons) and they do many other very useful things like Vine the shows or B&P them or just trade them. There are some of us, like me, who don't have the time for trades or b&ps or starting vines and so we just leave our bt windows open for as long as possible. It is actually impossible for everyone on this site to have a ratio of 1:1 when there are a bunch of people that have a ratio over 1:1.
Absolutely! I have issues seeding torrents, but I give back by doing B&ps and seeding vines. There are a number of ways to do your share. I can understand not being able to share 1:1, but, no matter how bad your u/l speed is, there really is no excuse for not getting at least halfway. It's very simple really, JUST STOP D/Ling! Even if you are only u/l at 3.kb it will add up. eventually.

And thanks for the kudos Chachi!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by reece
You must be one of those conniving jews, or an ebonics talking black. Or, worse yet, a black jew. Only sellin' your crack to other jews. And when you do sell to others, you give a 10 dollar piece for 20 dollars.
The NEW list.... Festafarian.com

I do B&Ps

myspace.com/festafarian

Ziggy's
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #29  
Old 2006-06-14, 12:56 PM
hanshak2015's Avatar
hanshak2015 hanshak2015 is offline
Fleet Street Afficionado
38.02 GB/41.65 GB/1.10
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Legoland
Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi420
Electronic trades are still "trades" therefore they need to also try for 1:1 ratio. There is no difference in that a "trade" requires the two parties to be on equal terms.
I disagree. A trade is a trade with two parties exchanging stuff, usually on a 1:1 basis, but 2:1 trades are trades too.

Torrenting however is not trading shows, it is sharing them. When you seed a show, you do so because you want to share the fun with others, with no direct expectations involved. You don't seed a torrent expecting every single user that downloads your show to seed exactly / at least one other show. Of course you hope so, but it's not an obligation as with a trade.

The live music trading trackers only work if the majority of people are into the sharing philosophy, i.e. giving without expecting anything (directly) in return. You just gotta have faith that in the end you'll end up with the shows you're interested in because you know that other people also share what they have without any expectations.

So IMHO torrents are not only different from snail mail trades in a technical sense, but also in the way sharing via BT depends much more on having faith in others and a sense of responsibility.
__________________
the bakery - yes, we're open.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #30  
Old 2006-06-14, 01:12 PM
jdawson's Avatar
jdawson jdawson is offline
387.29 GB/867.01 GB/2.24
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Re: Does poor ratio equate bad trader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndiotta
Cathy Liebchen ...I often wonder what became of her Judy...man she had the wealth of a phenomenal collection and shared it so freely !!

pretty sure she still has her list up on etree. Probably the best way to contact her. Think she was in Georgia. I can't remember how many of her vines I was on, but I know if it wasn't for her I wouldn't have a lot of the shows I dearly treasure. Truly a wonderful, selfless person (even after getting highspeed, I still hopped on her vines because she had so much to share that wasn't available via torrent.)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Reply

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - , TheTradersDen.org - All Rights Reserved - Hosted at QuickPacket
no new posts