The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Do remasters fit with the site's mission statement?
Yes 13 43.33%
No 17 56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-21, 05:01 PM
Dana Gillespie
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: do remasters fit with the site's mission statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
let other sites handle remasters BAN THEFACE!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-09-21, 06:03 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtiphi View Post
well I must chime in here,

I wonder if I have any kind of reputaion to speak of.

I have done about 35 reworks most with the tapers approval.

I spend hours and hours cleaning the original of digi noises and cuts then I spend more hours listening and re-listening and comparing samples to the original for an improvement. When I feel I have something worthwhile I send samples to the taper for their approval and do not post unless they give their blessing. sometimes all I do is clean out the bad noises and then re-post as there is no need to listen to clicks and mic rustle if they can be removed without hurting the music.

I have done reworks from vinyls and pressed cds that have been ruined by lables in their attempt to "ehem" improve the content but most of my reworks have been approved by the taper.

I also make it very clear that my posts have been sonically altered so there is no way anyone can download one of mine and say hey this isnt the original because if they spent even a second reading the description they would have read the warning.

I use Adobe Audition with another top notch program called Izotope Ozone for the bulk of my enhanced versions. this is not a simple eq job and cannot be compared to twisting some knobs on a stereo which is not the same as using Izotope which also does mid/side processing .

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

My only intention is to improve the listening experience. Not everyone simply collects recordings for shelving and not everyone is interested in hearing a flat one dimensional recording and If I can pump some life into what would other wise be a limited listen i.e. once or twice then shelved and make it something you would want to listen to all the time then I see no reason not to.

I have an Frank Marino rework that is so good you'd think it was from another source but all thanks go to the taper so there is no confusion with my posts at all. Its running at jamtothis, I would have posted it here but why do I want to put up with people who will bad mouth it without even hearing the results.
J, with all due respect and I'm sorry to say that this is below the bar for ttd. I thought you knew blumlein's matrix its part of his patents from the 1930s. stereo didn't become standard for 50 years after that.

from now on you gotta know blumlein's patents if you want to post a remastered show at ttd seriously, folks. Kung Poo is right, we've been spinning our wheels when it comes to maintaining the highest possible quality standards of all torrent sites. we are getting back on track.

J, look at effects>channel mixer in audition and study the MS presets. its like baking a cake from scratch rather than using a duncan heinz mix or some crap like that. you've got the right kind of mind for this so you must learn the fundamentals. you'll thank yourself.

start reading books like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Audi.../dp/0240805453

#1 best selling audio book on amazon. check the comments.

read some threads over at gearslutz.org. this is minimum ttd requirements if we want to stick with the mission statement.

If you still don't know what you're doing but are getting pretty decent results ... keep working at it and keep that shit to yourself

Quote:
Go to dime http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=21208 and look over my posts and check out what people have said and if you have a mind to prove me wrong download a track or to and see for yourself its its shit or not as just saying it is doesnt make it so.
it means nothing without a before and after comparison... please post a small before & after FLAC of something that you worked on and make us believers. if its bad please don't take it personally but we're gonna rip you apart because we're sophisticated enough to give you a much much much more technical review.

dude hope you're not mad at me... we're just talking here and I feel very strongly about this issue.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2009-09-21, 06:05 PM
386.81 GB/2.05 TB/5.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Poo View Post
So does the Waves Stereo Imager, 10 seconds of sliding things around and you have a different recording that you could just enjoy in your own bedroom... except for the fact that:for some weird reason you remaster freaks just can't stop your left hands from finding out what your right hands are doing.
(by which i mean: you can't help yourself from telling the whole world how good you are with a piece of software... and that is sharing for all the wrong reasons (ie: giving because you get something out of giving)).

tapers get other tapes from trade to make themselves happy I make people who actually want to listen to the music more than once happy . I dont really get anything out of it but a thank you and thats enough for me.

hey poo have you ever bought an official live release from any band cause if you have then you bought something someone tweaked before releasing it.

and do you believe that your recorder has actually captured what the event sounded like in the hall? when the bass is almost non existant or the highs sound like they are coming from inside someones pocket?

all though not all tapes can be helped whats so bad about exposing those hidden freqs and making it sound more like it did live?. just because you cannot hear them in the master doesn't mean they are not there and with the right ear they can and should be brought out. and similarly if they arent there to begin with there is no way of improving them.

like I said if you want to hear a flat one dimensional tape then so be it but there is no reason to put down folks like bluecongo, winston or myself who take the time to make it right just because of your purist attitudes.

btw I was going to post the FM show here and I had already gotten U2Lynne's permission to do so but like I said why open myself to ridiculous criticisms from people who arent even willing to give it a chance plus you dont need to download it if you dont like it so why complain its not really hurting you at all. maybe if you'd give my reworks a listen you'd actually be impressed.

Ps. here are the tapers comments about my latest rework at dime. in his emails to me he actually said the files sounded gorgeous.

juxtiphi: you're a master at what you do... it's like hearing a studio recording with added audience

thank you very much for the hours upon hours of meticulous work you put into this...

i can't stress this enough folks, praise this man !

_sibbz_

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess not all tapers feel the same way you do about this freak and there are plenty of other comments echoing these sentiments by many others who have downloaded my posts and realized it was well worth it.

sure there are some out here who dont take the time I do when they try and improve something but I think eventually they all fall by the wayside as time goes by because folks can hear what a lousy job they did and simply stop responding to their posts all together.

As for me I've been posting for just over 5 years without complaint and I can guarantee that I spend far and away more time and effort in my reworks than someone who twiddles a knob for ten seconds and thats why my posts have stayed alive on the tracker for years cause even when I'm not seeding them other folks are always helping to keep them alive.
Old 2009-09-21, 06:08 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

can't you make the font any smaller... I mean I can still read that.
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2009-09-21, 06:11 PM
386.81 GB/2.05 TB/5.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
J,
dude hope you're not mad at me... we're just talking here and I feel very strongly about this issue.
Im not mad at all my friend your opinions are just that opinions as are mine so no worries.

Ive never upped anything here as I know how this site rolls and when I had the inkling too do so I asked Lynne about it first to get her permission which she gave.

I dont mind the fact that you want to keep this site as it was started and I'm not saying that all remasters are great Im just saying not all folks who ehem "twiddle knobs" are ruining stuff.

ps. the reaso there arnt more samples in the post is due to the fact that anyone at dime who grabbed my rework already downloaded the original.
Old 2009-09-21, 06:14 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
hey poo have you ever bought an official live release from any band cause if you have then you bought something someone tweaked before releasing it.
sure, man her's some I've bought:
Death Magnetic
Vapour Trails
St. Anger
Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary Edition
Hendrix re-re-masters

the problem is much bigger than ttd. ttd has to be a safehouse, this is the site's mission.

Quote:
Old 2009-09-21, 06:17 PM
386.81 GB/2.05 TB/5.41

five I just pmd you
Old 2009-09-21, 06:19 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Im not mad at all my friend your opinions are just that opinions as are mine so no worries.

Ive never upped anything here as I know how this site rolls and when I had the inkling too do so I asked Lynne about it first to get her permission which she gave.

I dont mind the fact that you want to keep this site as it was started and I'm not saying that all remasters are great Im just saying not all folks who ehem "twiddle knobs" are ruining stuff.

ps. the reaso there arnt more samples in the post is due to the fact that anyone at dime who grabbed my rework already downloaded the original.
phew, we're in agreement then.

we had a good thing going, used to be WR and not a whole lot else now its TheFace007 spewing diaria all over our members' collections. remasters were total anarchy and the members kept an eye on one another, spoke to one another because it was a much smaller community. now everybody and their cousin is a n00b gloryseeker with ham fists. and a drive full of warez installed yesterday.

Quote:
Old 2009-09-21, 07:07 PM
Dana Gillespie
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
now its TheFace007 spewing diaria all over our members' collections. everybody and their cousin is a n00b gloryseeker with ham fists. and a drive full of warez installed yesterday.

it doesn't get fairer than that.
Old 2009-09-22, 06:31 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:

the problem is much bigger than ttd. ttd has to be a safehouse, this is the site's mission.
Does this mean you're finally ready to discuss the banning of all silver boots?

As you well know, almost ALL silver boots are 'remasters' of UNKNOWN GENERATION recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Old 2009-09-22, 10:47 PM
67.92 GB/18.51 GB/0.27

i think the best way around this is to include the raw version
in the torrent as well. maybe limit which generation can be remastered and uploaded. i wouldnt want a 10th gen tape remastered.

as some of you stated earlier, certain peeps do a great job while others suck.

another way is to have a list of people who have done a great job on remastering and let those people upload remasters. people can be added to the list, and people can be taken away from the list.

for the record, the most i usually do is increase the volume.

with all that being said, what about people who make matrix mixes?
wouldnt that go against what ttd is all about?
Old 2009-09-23, 01:08 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer View Post
Does this mean you're finally ready to discuss the banning of all silver boots?

As you well know, almost ALL silver boots are 'remasters' of UNKNOWN GENERATION recordings.
I would like to get rid of the silvers that are crap remasters/re-issues of documented stuff.

we also don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water... but the way things are these days the bath water is an ocean and the baby is a minnow.

Quote:
Old 2009-09-23, 08:28 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
I would like to get rid of the silvers that are crap remasters/re-issues of documented stuff.
So how're you gonna decide which is what?

OR who's gonna decide?

Shit-fire, for sure, the longer you wait to take that first step, the harder it's going to be to decide which is the "site-approved" version.

As I'm sure we're all aware, some shows/recordings have been booted numerous times, with varying degrees of eq, pitch and speed control issues, dropouts, intentional editing, unintentional editing, ....then you get to the best of these new innovations, remasters of poor quality boots that actually sound worse than the bootleg. And many other variables we could mention.

And some titles are just copies of older boots with a new set of problems and issues tacked on.

SO.........
Is the mono version with clearest sound but with the speed fluxuation issues better than the stereo version with the loud hiss and dropouts and that is edited on disc two to make it fit on a 74 minute cdr.....

OR would you allow the new remaster matrix in 5.1 which kept the speed issues intact while editing back the missing material from disc 2 to the hissy stereo copy?

Choose wisely................

Or maybe you might wanna simplify the entire problem and just interpert the TTD mission statement with more emphasis on quality over quantity.

which will mean you have to ban all them boots that do not conform, right?

choose wisely............................

Hey, I know of a Led Zeppelin 1975 show that has nine or ten different silver (or cdr) boot titles, none of which are very good, so, who's gonna make the call on something like that? (maybe the taper of the show? maybe some LZ collector who favors one japanese bootlegger over another?)

And who gets to answer on the numerous bitching threads asking why someone's favorite silver boot ain't allowed here, in favor of some different "title"???

Or why won't you allow the latest EV silver taken from the newest WR remaster because you banned the original WR remaster so that EV were forced to snatch it over at dime............ sounds like a fun time ahead.

Quote:
we also don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water... but the way things are these days the bath water is an ocean and the baby is a minnow.
Yeah, do tell that to the mini-disc tapers, huh?

TTD staff took a stand, set a cut-off date and that was it...Period.

Do it, throw out that baby with the bathwater.

That garbage will still be available for anyone that continues to look for it.

Good luck, which ever way your wind blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Old 2009-09-23, 09:46 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

to briefly answer the ? -- yes, i think some remasters do fit with the site's mission statement

remastering a shitty old recording to make it less shitty is not a bad thing, whether it be audio or video...depends on the knowledge/experience of the person doing the work
Old 2009-09-23, 12:20 PM
Kung Poo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer View Post
And some titles are just copies of older boots with a new set of problems and issues tacked on.
That is so true.
And some of these "remasters" are actually re-works of the newer boots with the newer problems tacked on.
i can think of one in particular where the guy responsible for the "remaster" says in his notes that "there is some digital noise on track 5 that appears to have been added during the transfer from analog to digital, it could not have been present on the analog master reel because it is a uniquely digital type of noise"....
why circulate a remaster of a silver CD that has been shown to have digital errors on it?? the community should have worked to suppress the version with digital errors and get the source back into circulation, rather than a re-work of the error-ridden CD with a new improved EQ setting.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions