The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-01-26, 07:37 PM
16.56 GB/89.45 GB/5.40

Re: Azureus.... dedicated problem thread????

Finally figured out my FIREWALLED issue.......... seems airport wasnt playing nice with the router, but its all good now
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-01-27, 01:58 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Arrow Re: Azureus.... dedicated problem thread????

...and another Azureus update. I thought it was still acting kinda wonky...
Old 2007-01-27, 08:07 AM
314.17 GB/169.96 GB/0.54

here's a good one: Does forwarding specific ports that peers are using increase my dl speed? I am not dl'ing from a few peers that I wish I was right now, and can't figure out why. In fact, I've always wanted to know why I can't connect to some people who aren't firewalled.
Old 2007-01-27, 11:29 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If you don't forward your ports, you can only connect to people who are NOT firewalled. If you do forward your ports, they you can connect to everyone.

You can't really choose who will connect with you, however other users may choose whether or not they wish to share with you. Some people will look at whether you are sharing with others and if you aren't, they may choke/block you from receiving anything from them.

Old 2007-01-28, 12:30 PM
212.23 GB/185.64 GB/0.87

I seem to be having similar Azureus issues over the last few days. My problem started AFTER I upgraded to 2.5.0.4. I am suddenly Firewalled even though I haven't changed my port settings.

The weird thing is that I am now Firewalled on another site(Dime), but everything seems to be ok here on TTD. On Dime I get a constant Yellow smiley, and a red Firewall sign, and here on TTD it's Green smilies all the way. If I was truly Firewalled wouldn't it apply everywhere?

When I do the Tools-NAT/Firewall test on my port number it says OK! So what's up with that? I've never had Firewall problems, and I've always only used the default port that Azureus picked for me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 2007-01-28, 12:50 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Does the peer list at DIME list you as firewalled (port number in red)? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. The smilies in Azureus can mean all sorts of things and don't always indicate whether you are firewalled or not. Sometimes you need to just give the tracker enough time to connect you to a bunch of other peers and get everything working. I don't think, if you are using the same port, that you can be firewalled at one site and not the other.

Old 2007-01-28, 01:19 PM
212.23 GB/185.64 GB/0.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Does the peer list at DIME list you as firewalled (port number in red)? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. The smilies in Azureus can mean all sorts of things and don't always indicate whether you are firewalled or not. Sometimes you need to just give the tracker enough time to connect you to a bunch of other peers and get everything working. I don't think, if you are using the same port, that you can be firewalled at one site and not the other.
Yes, the peer list at Dime does have my port number in Red. The message in my user account profile says.....

Reason: "protocol error 1"
Explanation: "no/erroneous BT client listening or misconfigured router"

It's been that way since Friday, and I've been on pretty much continuously since. I shut it down yesterday afternoon, and it was still like that when I started up again. I've dowloaded a couple of shows, and have been seeding, but I've always been firewalled. However, my DL & UL speeds have been pretty decent, but nobody is connecting to me on my peers list.

On the other hand everything has been great here at TTD. Guess I should just stay here!

Thanks for the response Lynn. I'll keep playing around with it. It's just really bugging me seeing that Firewall sign. Especially when my NAT test is telling me that everything is OK.
Old 2007-01-28, 01:36 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

What I tell people here if they get told they are firewalled but they know they are not, is to stop all the torrents here and then wait a few seconds and then start them up a couple seconds apart. You may want to try that at DIME and see if it fixes the problem.

Old 2007-01-28, 03:22 PM
212.23 GB/185.64 GB/0.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
What I tell people here if they get told they are firewalled but they know they are not, is to stop all the torrents here and then wait a few seconds and then start them up a couple seconds apart. You may want to try that at DIME and see if it fixes the problem.
Yes, I have stopped and then started the torrents a couple of times(sometimes because Azureus crashes), but my Dime port is always firewalled.

If I'm only running a Dime torrent then I am firewalled, with yellow smiley, and red numbers. I then add a TTD torrent, and it is green, but the Dime stays yellow with red port number....

In the past I have had my port number at TTD tell me I was firewalled when I knew I wasn't. And like you said, after stopping & starting a few times it would go away.

Thanks again Lynn.
Old 2007-01-28, 05:50 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Arrow Re: Azureus.... dedicated problem thread????

OK this is starting to p!ss me off...

I keep having crash after crash in the last couple days.

Win2000pro>Azureus... either computer siezes up or spontaneously restarts...

I like layout of Azureus and am used to it by now. Should I try a new torrent prog?

Is there a way to 'calm down' the thing? less peers or something?

It shuts down even with only 1 thing up/downing...

...then it will go for hours no prob other times. seems kinda random.

any ideas?
Old 2007-01-28, 06:39 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist
OK this is starting to p!ss me off...

I keep having crash after crash in the last couple days.

Win2000pro>Azureus... either computer siezes up or spontaneously restarts...

I like layout of Azureus and am used to it by now. Should I try a new torrent prog?

Is there a way to 'calm down' the thing? less peers or something?

It shuts down even with only 1 thing up/downing...

...then it will go for hours no prob other times. seems kinda random.

any ideas?
I once had problems like this and it turned out it was the router. We had a linksys. So, we got a new router, also a linksys, and had the same problem. Then we got a D-Link and I haven't had that problem since.

You may want to try a new program just to see if it really is Azurues. You may also want to look in their forums and see if anyone else is reporting that sort of behavior.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble