The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-07-12, 08:35 AM
47.10 GB/18.61 GB/0.40

NEWBIE question

I don't understand all this, but here goes: I use BitComet to download my files and only search for audio torrents. Once the download is complete and it says 100%, none of them will play from Trader's Den (although I have downloaded audio from other sites with no problems). I use Windows Media Player. The pics and text are there from the albums, but that's all. Obviously I'm doing something really stupid. Thanks for your understanding and help!

The OLD guy, Kurbie
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-12, 08:46 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Re: NEWBIE question

Are you used to downloading mp3s? Tradersden audio files are lossless and must be decoded. Well worth it if you care about quality.
Old 2007-07-12, 08:56 AM
47.10 GB/18.61 GB/0.40

No, I am not used to downloading MP3's. Is this the problem? I don't have an MP3 player.
Old 2007-07-12, 09:12 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Kurbie you misunderstood my question. What type of audio files are you used to downloading?
Old 2007-07-12, 09:56 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Kurbie, if you normally download flac files from other sites, then these flac files should play just fine also. You can either decode them to wav to play, or you can get a flac plugin and play the flacs directly. Many PC users use foobar2000 (link in the Software section of our FAQ).

Old 2007-07-12, 10:35 AM
47.10 GB/18.61 GB/0.40

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Kurbie, if you normally download flac files from other sites, then these flac files should play just fine also. You can either decode them to wav to play, or you can get a flac plugin and play the flacs directly. Many PC users use foobar2000 (link in the Software section of our FAQ).
I normally just download music that I search for; generally older rock and roll type of stuff. Then I transfer the songs I like to Windows Media Player and burn a CD to listen.

I'll try downloading the foobar2000. I'm assuming once I do that I'll have some type of instructions on what to do next.
Old 2007-07-12, 10:59 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurbie
I normally just download music that I search for; generally older rock and roll type of stuff. Then I transfer the songs I like to Windows Media Player and burn a CD to listen.
But what was the extension on the music files you were downloading before? It could be you don't have the right plug-in for Windows Media.

Old 2007-07-12, 04:08 PM
47.10 GB/18.61 GB/0.40

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
But what was the extension on the music files you were downloading before? It could be you don't have the right plug-in for Windows Media.
U2Lynne . . . I'm sorry, but I have no idea what the extensions were ..... and unfortunately I'm not sure how to change them prior to downloading. The Windows Media i'm using is just the standard one and (unfortunately again) i'm not sure how to change the plug-in.

The downloads, when they say there 100% complete, are just the white boxes with the dark blue horizontal line on the top of the box with the 6 dots. (obviously that means something that i'm not quite at a level of understanding).

I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP.... YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!
Old 2007-07-12, 04:32 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, if you don't know what the extensions were, they could have been mp3 which is why they played in the media player without plugin problems.

Here's a page on getting a flac plugin for your windows media player if you don't decide to download foobar2000: http://www.losslessaudioblog.com/?p=40 Sorry I can't help on the installation as I'm a Mac user.

Old 2007-07-12, 04:34 PM
296.79 GB/95.16 GB/0.32

The files you download here are are not the same as MP3 files. They are compressed into a lossless format, usually FLAC or SHN. You need to have something to decode these. Winamp has plugins for both. You can get the SHN plugin at etree.org. I forgot where to get the FLAC plugin for Winamp, but if you google it you should fine it easily. Or for FLAC you can use dBPoweramp.

You're getting mixed up because you're expecting the files you download here to play without doing anything special. They are specialized formats and don't play without the proper decoder.
Old 2007-07-12, 04:41 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurbie
U2Lynne . . . I'm sorry, but I have no idea what the extensions were .....

AC-DC - The Jack.mp3
^
file name . extension

AC-DC - The Jack.flac
^
file name . extension

see?

The extension (part of the name after the DOT) tells the computer which program to use to open the file.
Old 2007-07-12, 05:05 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

You may never see most extensions if this is checked

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2007-07-12, 06:52 PM
47.10 GB/18.61 GB/0.40

Thanks to all of you. I downloaded winamp and it works. You guys are just great!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble