The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-11-07, 12:41 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: How to split FLAC files ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
but yeah, do it with FLAC Frontend And uncheck the 'add tags' button for sure, that's the only and worst bug I know of in FFE
Right.
All I have checked are "verify" and "align on sector boundaries" in FLAC Frontend. And the of course "fingerprints" when generating Flac fingerprints afterwards. I guess that's all needed to be checked to make proper Flac files. Right?

You are right about the FLAC Frontend's decoding speed. It's slow, but I don't mind about it too much. My FLAC Frontend version is ancient(?) 1.07.0001. Possibly I should upgrade for a newer version?

I don't know if I am stubborn, mingy or just simply stupid not willing to go for Audacity, since I already have Cool Pro 2.0. I do know that some Audacity's editing possibilities are superior(?) compared to Cool Pro like a possibility to "paint" some sonic changes right into the audio spectral view - a feature I actually dreamed of before it was finally realised in Audacity. Me myself I'm into Photoshop by my profession, that's why my "painting" idea.

Last edited by xcv111; 2007-11-07 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-11-07, 06:28 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcv111
FLAC Frontend's decoding speed
Uh, huh...
Typo again! I ment encoding speed!
Old 2007-11-07, 07:36 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcv111
All I have checked are "verify" and "align on sector boundaries" in FLAC Frontend. And the of course "fingerprints" when generating Flac fingerprints afterwards. I guess that's all needed to be checked to make proper Flac files. Right?
right!

I updated FLAC at work and on my other computer that just died... seems like you haven't updated FFE in over a year so pretty safe to say you will get the added speed when you upgrade.

CEP2.0 used to crash on my computer (whereas 2.1 and Audition don't) but others have had no probs with it. As for the functionality&quality its pretty much 99% identical to 2.1 and Audition 1.0. Even 1.5 the only thing I've noticed they've added is the marquee tool which is very useful. They probably put some other stuff in there too but nothing glaringly obvious that I come across in my normal useage. Its also about the same as CEP2.1.

I find the marquee tool useful (and to me essential) for spot-fixing tiny clicks & crackles by using it together with nr>click/crackle repair>fix single click now function. With the marquee tool I can process a smaller number of samples in certain difficult situations where disturbing the lows causes an undesirable effect. I haven't found it useful to run other effects on marquee-marked blocks yet. So maybe it is on its way to being like painting with sound but for me its more like scissors, tape, photocopier & liquid paper for sound The painting so to speak still goes on mainly at the microphones and DX/VST sections and some of the stock effects.

Oh yeah, in Audition they added native VST support, however doesn't work with 100% of all plugins (as it always is with any one wrapper/wav editor).

ps I don't put eq and all that jazz on hobby-related tapes, I just try to keep them as accurate as I can to the original master recording.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-11-07, 07:42 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

The newer versions of FLAC have much improved encoding speed.
http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

CD Wave is the best, easiest program for tracking shows IMO. It splits the .wav files on sector boundaries, so no need to fix SBEs.
http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/download.html
Old 2007-11-07, 11:13 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
ps I don't put eq and all that jazz on hobby-related tapes, I just try to keep them as accurate as I can to the original master recording.
Sorry. I don't get what you mean. Do you mean that it's better to leave an original - let's say - FM recording as it is?

If I got you right, I have an opposite experience. I once recorded a live show and in this case by a live show I mean it was happening exactly the same time as it was broadcasted - so them nice technicians didn't compress the sound, not much anyway. The same show was then broadcasted later and the difference was huge. The second broadcast was compressed so much it was almost "flat" compared to the original live broadcast. Because I knew the band, their sound and had the original broadcast as reference point I could EQ few missing songs from the second broadcast - IMO - sounding pretty much the same as on the original live broadcast. Ahyhow, I couldn't tell the difference after EQ'ing.

And thanks for your views on Audacity etc. Much appreciated.

Right now I'm fighting with EAC configuration to get it absolutely right according the link you've attached in your posts. It's pretty profound dive into the debts of EAC! Thanks for that link!

Sorry, my bubble is getting a bit too far away how to split Flac files.
Old 2007-11-07, 11:21 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
The newer versions of FLAC have much improved encoding speed.
http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

CD Wave is the best, easiest program for tracking shows IMO. It splits the .wav files on sector boundaries, so no need to fix SBEs.
http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/download.html
Thanks for the info.
Old 2007-11-07, 03:07 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

eq'ing to join two shows is a good idea, but when it comes to eq'ing a single complete show for your own taste its usually preferred to leave it alone and keep it pure, especially on boards like this. a lot of guys don't have very good speakers and will create the perfect mix ... that only sounds perfect in their own living room! Or do some stuff that sounds great at the time, then look back a couple years later and cringe at their own work (has happend to me!). When its raw and unaltered it is what it is, and if they invent some miracle eq in 2020 the original files still exist to be sweetened.

Quote:
Old 2007-11-07, 03:49 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You're quite right Five.
Your points above made a lot of sense. I'll keep them in my mind. But if feel some shows could be better sounding and - as I told in my previous post - I'll still try to fix them sounding better. I don't try to fix every single show I hear. And yes you are right. I don't live in a perfect studio environment. I mostly live in my living room and listen to music there as well. And so on... I run out of English language.

But one point as well is that so called real audio pros making us them fantastic audio experiences don't live in my living room. So for what kinda room they are making them commercial releases? My guess is: for recording studios. I mean, I've been there, heard that and finally when I got the final result in my stereo system it has been just an awful listening experience. Or for some cheap transistor radio on the beach? Some or most of them sound great also in my living room, but the rest...

But anyway you're quite right.

Last edited by xcv111; 2007-11-07 at 03:57 PM.
Old 2007-11-08, 11:57 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

its a compromise... pro mixes have to sound good summed to mono and coming out of a mono transistor radio with a one inch 5 cent speaker, also has to sound good on a boombox, car stereo, cheap headphones, expensive headphones, home stereo, expensive home stereo and also super-top-of-the-line hifi equipment (etc etc). it should be listenable on a clock radio, I'll never forget realizing one day when my cheap clock radio woke me up with led zeppelin how I could hear every note and drum hit on that puny nasty little speaker! but also sounds even better on better equiment. the mixes on tool records are another great example, sounds so clean clear and nice on a boombox but give it some big speakers that can push some bass and everything that sounded great is still there plus this whole other dimension of low frequencies making it even better

Quote:
Old 2007-11-08, 12:46 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
its a compromise...
Yup. You are right.

In this link there are few well thought points about recordings: http://www.regonaudio.com/Gradients.html
Old 2007-11-08, 03:49 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

absolutely fascinating link, thanks for that

also worth mentioning is how drum kits and mic'ed and mixed for rock recordings: overheads dangling from above and mixed to about 30% of their real-world relative volume, tight mics on all the drums, bass drum absolutely devoid of reverb with +20dB bass boost, then the snare sounding like its in a concert hall ... its like a cartoon, isn't it?

Quote:
Old 2007-11-08, 03:59 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
... its like a cartoon, isn't it?
Bhua, huh, huh, huuu... Heh, heh, heee... I'll rest my case your honer!
Old 2007-11-08, 05:56 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
pro mixes have to sound good summed to mono and coming out of a mono transistor radio with a one inch 5 cent speaker, also has to sound good on a boombox, car stereo, cheap headphones, expensive headphones, home stereo, expensive home stereo and also super-top-of-the-line hifi equipment (etc etc). it should be listenable on a clock radio, I'll never forget realizing one day when my cheap clock radio woke me up with led zeppelin how I could hear every note and drum hit on that puny nasty little speaker! but also sounds even better on better equiment. the mixes on tool records are another great example, sounds so clean clear and nice on a boombox but give it some big speakers that can push some bass and everything that sounded great is still there plus this whole other dimension of low frequencies making it even better

Five speaks of truths rarely realized on this thing we call the internet...well said bro, if only more people listened
Old 2007-11-10, 06:12 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
Five speaks of truths rarely realized on this thing we call the internet...well said bro, if only more people listened
Right.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble