The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2006-08-22, 07:24 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Re: Name & Shame Uberleechers Thread

Thats Kool Lynne,
i did see him as well on 8 after you posted about the new script add on

i just didnt want the good peeps of the site to get a wrong impression
as it sort of undermines them otherwise and would eventually give an i don't care image.
But i have read that you have capable hands so all's good
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-08-22, 07:33 PM
750.56 GB/828.53 GB/1.10

Thanks for working on this Lynne. Not much really gets under my skin, especially when I get to enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor so much, but this was not even abusing the system...it was more like trying to beat it into submission. Thanks again to all the seeders for puttin up these great shows.

Oh...and jameskg...to answer your question...TWICE
Old 2006-08-24, 07:09 AM
24.97 GB/258.75 GB/10.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I still don't see him on any torrents. But if you saw him on at one point, Lucas, then that is good.

KoolKat, before I actually post anything about only leeching so many torrents per ratio (I can make it different for different low ratios), I want to make sure it works. So, I'm making it real loose right now to test it out (basically, he is my test case ). Unfortunately, I have to test out tracker stuff live to see how the site will handle it.
U2Lynne,
I think this Uberleecher has been fixed, but I noticed a couple of others with long torrent lists. It was clearly a case of ignorance, as their response to a message from me that this was not the right way to use the Den, was to politely apologise and cut back the torrent list. If you have a means to track excessive torrent dls, a message explaining the situation might be all that's needed. Of course with the new restrictions in the tracker, this is a problem that will die on it's own accord, so it might not be worth the trouble.
P.
Old 2006-08-24, 09:37 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Actually, I did a quick database query to list the top users on the site on the most torrents. Most of them were on to upload (the name of the show is in green if they are a seeder, in blue if they are a leecher). But, I think you are right in that is is ignorance that makes them think it's a good thing to leech or seed so many shows at a time. I think I'm going to post a message on the first page about it and see if it changes things.

Old 2006-08-27, 02:06 PM
Ask and I shall seed
225.69 GB/234.79 GB/1.04

Some of these "uberleechers" must be coming over from the ZOMB site. This seems to be the norm over there.

I thought this was completely insane. I posted in their forums about this practice and met with some opposition. Even the mods over there seem to do this. There explanation was they wanted to keep torrents alive. "Seriously, how long does a torrent need to live?", I asked.

I found myself on a couple torrents that were fairly old with only one seeder. This seeder was seeding 70+ torrents and uploading at .01 - .02 KB/sec.

IMHO, users like this should not be welcome on torrent sites. I commend the mods here in taking care of this problem.

Thank you =)
Old 2006-08-27, 05:02 PM
entropy357
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshambo
Some of these "uberleechers" must be coming over from the ZOMB site. This seems to be the norm over there.

I thought this was completely insane. I posted in their forums about this practice and met with some opposition. Even the mods over there seem to do this. There explanation was they wanted to keep torrents alive. "Seriously, how long does a torrent need to live?", I asked.

I found myself on a couple torrents that were fairly old with only one seeder. This seeder was seeding 70+ torrents and uploading at .01 - .02 KB/sec.

IMHO, users like this should not be welcome on torrent sites. I commend the mods here in taking care of this problem.

Thank you =)
The discussion on the zomb site was not about someone trying to download 76 shows at once. It was about what some people considered was sharing too many shows at once.

Being an ubersharer is far different than being an uberleecher.
Old 2006-08-27, 05:12 PM
*loves all thir13ens*
47.23 GB/53.22 GB/1.13

Quote:

Thank you =)
What you are talking about is the opposite of what is being discussed here. You posted at Zomb that you were leeching from somebody who was seeding 70+ shows.
What is being discussed here is people leeching loads of shows.
At Zomb people can only download 4 torrents at a time in user class. This number goes up as the ranks climb. We also enforce a strict ratio system to stop people leeching and not sharing back at least a reasonable amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomb Home Page
If your ratio falls within the ranges below, you will receive a warning message from the system:

» 01 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.01
» 02 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.05
» 05 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.20
» 10 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.40
» 20 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.50
» 40 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.60
» 80 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.70
» 100 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.75
» 200 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.80
» 300 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.85
» 400 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.90
We are also aware that people seeding a lot of shows can reduce the speed on each individual torrent - if there are peers on each torrent. Some users choose to seed lots of shows, to ensure that their upload is maxed out and so that they can share as much as they can. It's frustrating to have only a few torrents open and not be able to max your upload because the leechers have a slower connection, or problems connecting. So some people choose to have a lot of torrents running rather than having to sit and constantly check their client and stop/start torrents as required.

Rather than criticise people who share, try being polite and appreciative of their sharing, without which you may not get the torrent at all.
And rather than getting a dig in at a site where you have downloaded a lot of quality stuff, read the topic and contents of a thread before shooting your keyboard off. This is called "Name & Shame Uberleechers Thread". This is a problem that is taken care of by the staff and the system coding at Zomb as I described above.

Your issue could be taken care of by messaging the seeder, asking if they could help you out and letting them know how fast you are able to download from them. Then they can stop whatever torrents they need to, if they can and want to. Remember these people are sharing, and I do not feel it is a site staff's place to tell them how to utilise their own connection, as long as they are sharing and keeping within the site's requirements.
Old 2006-08-27, 11:51 PM
Ask and I shall seed
225.69 GB/234.79 GB/1.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognetty
What you are talking about is the opposite of what is being discussed here. You posted at Zomb that you were leeching from somebody who was seeding 70+ shows.
What is being discussed here is people leeching loads of shows.
At Zomb people can only download 4 torrents at a time in user class. This number goes up as the ranks climb. We also enforce a strict ratio system to stop people leeching and not sharing back at least a reasonable amount.

We are also aware that people seeding a lot of shows can reduce the speed on each individual torrent - if there are peers on each torrent. Some users choose to seed lots of shows, to ensure that their upload is maxed out and so that they can share as much as they can. It's frustrating to have only a few torrents open and not be able to max your upload because the leechers have a slower connection, or problems connecting. So some people choose to have a lot of torrents running rather than having to sit and constantly check their client and stop/start torrents as required.

Rather than criticise people who share, try being polite and appreciative of their sharing, without which you may not get the torrent at all.
And rather than getting a dig in at a site where you have downloaded a lot of quality stuff, read the topic and contents of a thread before shooting your keyboard off. This is called "Name & Shame Uberleechers Thread". This is a problem that is taken care of by the staff and the system coding at Zomb as I described above.

Your issue could be taken care of by messaging the seeder, asking if they could help you out and letting them know how fast you are able to download from them. Then they can stop whatever torrents they need to, if they can and want to. Remember these people are sharing, and I do not feel it is a site staff's place to tell them how to utilise their own connection, as long as they are sharing and keeping within the site's requirements.

I'm not going to get into this with you Ognetty as I know your a ZOMB person. No need to get all defensive...and my post wasn't to FLAME ZOMB. I did read the thread(especaily the post by U2Lynne who is a staff member here)
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Actually, I did a quick database query to list the top users on the site on the most torrents. Most of them were on to upload (the name of the show is in green if they are a seeder, in blue if they are a leecher). But, I think you are right in that is is ignorance that makes them think it's a good thing to leech or seed so many shows at a time. I think I'm going to post a message on the first page about it and see if it changes things.
......and either way it seems a bit outrageous to seed OR leech that amount if you DONT have that kind of bandwidth. I would not call that UBERSHARING.
Old 2006-08-28, 04:12 AM
boredwhitelighter
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

i am always amused by those that do crazy things , to have more than a few torrents going , ( i max at 4 ) i normally keep to two torrents going at a time as my max upload without crashing my isp,s modem is around 250 connections and a 40 to 45kb/s upload speed , i want torrents to download fast and to at least try and keep the torrent speed up ,to have so many going at once is crazy as it means the speed of the torrent slows right down to a pointless level , i am glad the maximum has been dropped down to prevent idiots slowing everything down , it seems the team here are on the ball

so a big thanks to the staff here for keeping a good site good
Old 2006-08-28, 08:31 AM
*loves all thir13ens*
47.23 GB/53.22 GB/1.13

Quote:
I'm not going to get into this with you Ognetty as I know your a ZOMB person. No need to get all defensive...and my post wasn't to FLAME ZOMB. I did read the thread(especaily the post by U2Lynne who is a staff member here)

......and either way it seems a bit outrageous to seed OR leech that amount if you DONT have that kind of bandwidth. I would not call that UBERSHARING.
I think the point is that nobody has the right to dictate how people use their connection. It is fair enough to limit downloads, etc to limit leeching or hit & running. But to tell a user how to upload is just being authoritarian, unless you are paying for their connection.
It is fine to express an opinion and give advice as to what you think is right. But others have their own opinions and they are valid opinions. Personally, I think that torrents do work better if people do not overseed. However, I sometimes leave many running overnight to ensure that my upload speed is maxed out all night. It means some of my torrents may not run at what some consider "decent" speed. But it does mean that I am sharing and that the leecher will complete the show - even if it takes a few days.
Again, if a user PMs me or posts in a Forum about the speed I am sharing, I will try to accommodate them if I am around to stop and start torrents...
Old 2006-08-28, 01:15 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

0.1 kbps x 600mb = more than a few days
Old 2006-08-28, 06:05 PM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

By hook or by crook, this is my opinion and I'm sticking to it whether it is liked or disliked, agreed or disagreed with, read or unread for that matter.......

Ratio here is dictated by the user themselves.....respectable is 1.00 which shows you are giving at least what you're taking[regardless of bandwidth because that point is mute and a poor argument at that]....so use it respectably.....this site and ALL other torrent sites need leechers but they DON'T need BAD leechers to survive.....they have a core community that cares enough no matter what their situation to seed whatever they download no matter how long it takes them....they do because they care, NOT because they have too. If you don't care, then don't, you can always become a member of Demonoid or a dump site that feels the same way you do......FREEWILL baby, take it or leave it......

Thanks all for letting me rant .......it helped.

~Jet
Old 2006-08-28, 07:12 PM
1.62 TB/3.79 TB/2.34

Old 2006-08-28, 11:44 PM
Ask and I shall seed
225.69 GB/234.79 GB/1.04

Zomb
Old 2006-08-29, 03:47 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

what, did they ban you now?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers