The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-12-17, 01:55 AM
sticky packer, icky stacker
528.55 GB/531.69 GB/1.01

New Holiday Layout & My RSS Feed

, So my RSS (My Yahoo) feed for new torrents has stopped updating. I noticed this happened the same day the site debuted the new, snazzy holiday design.

Coincidence? Anyone else? Just me?

Thanks, in advance, for responses, rags and rants.

Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-17, 04:28 AM
782.10 GB/7.93 TB/10.38

Re: New Holiday Layout & My RSS Feed

I'm not having any issues with the RSS feed at all. I'm using "Google Reader" as my RSS feed manager.

Good luck,
Seth
Old 2007-12-17, 09:23 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If you were using RSS feeds to get the torrents, you need to have a reader that you can input username/password information to. About the time that we went to the holiday skin, we got two notices to take down the new Zep torrent. At that point, I decided it was not a good idea to continue to have guests, and thus google, 'see' our torrents. So, now you must be logged in to see the torrent threads. And, that is why your RSS feed isn't working. You must use a reader that allows you to be 'logged in' to the site in order to receive them.

Old 2007-12-17, 04:45 PM
sticky packer, icky stacker
528.55 GB/531.69 GB/1.01

Thanks Lynne.
Old 2007-12-18, 04:17 AM
782.10 GB/7.93 TB/10.38

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
If you were using RSS feeds to get the torrents, you need to have a reader that you can input username/password information to. About the time that we went to the holiday skin, we got two notices to take down the new Zep torrent. At that point, I decided it was not a good idea to continue to have guests, and thus google, 'see' our torrents. So, now you must be logged in to see the torrent threads. And, that is why your RSS feed isn't working. You must use a reader that allows you to be 'logged in' to the site in order to receive them.
I think this was a good decision, Lynne. That said, I use Google reader as my RSS reader. It makes it impossible to get Dime's feed as they require a username/pw. I am still getting TTD's feeds with out any hassle/trouble, though. Perhaps it's because I was already subscribed before you switched over?

Thought I'd let you know.

Can anyone recommend a good online RSS feed reader?

Thanks,
Seth
Old 2007-12-30, 07:05 AM
173.21 GB/0.98 TB/5.81

I'm having issues with the new feed as well. I just got a new PC and moved my RSS reader over and now I can see the feed at all.

Would it be possible for someone to post suggestions on how to get the feed for both web and non-web readers?

Thanks!

Adam
Old 2008-01-04, 10:29 AM
173.21 GB/0.98 TB/5.81

Some new info... Before the feed change I had been using &forumids=12,13 to only get torrents in my feed. That option doesn't work any more (hense my problem). The feed now has all of the new forum entries. Can that be fixed?
Old 2008-01-04, 10:54 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I don't use the RSS feeds, so I can't really help you with this. But, I did look in the FAQ and it says "The forums to which this applies can also be limited to specific guest viewable forums by adding another parameter to the URL containing the forumids as follows.." so I am guessing that since ABT and VBT (forums 12 and 13) are not guest viewable, then you can't use your RSS feed to get them any longer. I suggested above that maybe you need to find an RSS reader that will actually allow you to put in your username and password in order to get those forums. I have no idea if such an RSS feeder exists though - perhaps look over at versiontracker?

Old 2008-01-04, 08:15 PM
173.21 GB/0.98 TB/5.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
I don't use the RSS feeds, so I can't really help you with this. But, I did look in the FAQ and it says "The forums to which this applies can also be limited to specific guest viewable forums by adding another parameter to the URL containing the forumids as follows.." so I am guessing that since ABT and VBT (forums 12 and 13) are not guest viewable, then you can't use your RSS feed to get them any longer. I suggested above that maybe you need to find an RSS reader that will actually allow you to put in your username and password in order to get those forums. I have no idea if such an RSS feeder exists though - perhaps look over at versiontracker?
So the feed is working, and like you said it's not letting you filter by forum. That's OK. I think that the authentication idea would be great except that I don't know how to it. Dime uses http basic authentication. OiNK embedded a passcode. TTD is using cookies and my newsreader (Newsgator) uses IE as it's engine so it works automagically. I don't think that technique is widely used, but I could be wrong.

Again... Just some info.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions