The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-18, 08:52 PM
69.59 GB/92.72 GB/1.33

Green Lights at other sites?

Would anybody have a guess as to why I'm getting green lights in my BT client at the various other sites, but here at TTD it continually lists me as "FIREWALLED"? I have everything configured properly as far as firewalls and ports, nothing has changed from previous times on this site... the difference is, I've been away from downloading for two months or so. Like I said, I'm green everywhere else but here. Something I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-18, 10:32 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Green Lights at other sites?

I think Lynne has said before it's not fool-proof, so you may be getting a false indication.

Since you've been away, your IP may have changed, though, so the forwarding setup (which is static) may not actually be forwarding anymore.

There are few easy way to do an independent check.
To start with what client are you using (torrent program)?
Old 2008-02-19, 07:44 AM
69.59 GB/92.72 GB/1.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I think Lynne has said before it's not fool-proof, so you may be getting a false indication.

Since you've been away, your IP may have changed, though, so the forwarding setup (which is static) may not actually be forwarding anymore.

There are few easy way to do an independent check.
To start with what client are you using (torrent program)?
I used BitTornado. The thing about getting false indications makes sense, because each time I'm shown as FIREWALLED I go to www.canyouseeme.org and check the port, which says it is not blocking traffic. But, the speeds at which I'm downloading are at the level of a firewalled port, so I'm a bit confused.

I got on this morning and am getting a Green Light and normal speeds! I changed absolutely nothing, so I have no idea why it's working fine now, but I've learned not to question good fortune!

Last edited by goodfelladh; 2008-02-19 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Situation changed
Old 2008-02-19, 08:51 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You can always try turning off your torrent at this site, then turning it back on. Sometimes, if you really aren't firewalled, then it will fix the 'firewalled' tag near your name. You may want to check the Peers List and make sure you are using the port number you forwarded (the same one you enter into canyouseeme).

Also, the site does that quick firewall check when you start your torrent. It is a SITE check for the benefit of those users who are clueless about whether they are firewalled or not. Once you are connected to other users, your bittorrent client will do all the firewall checking - it could care less what TTD things about whether you are firewalled and in fact has no clue what we think, it makes it's own determination.

And, sometimes I get a yellow light in my client, but that simply means you have no remote connections and that MAY mean you are firewalled.

Old 2008-02-19, 02:33 PM
632.06 GB/583.90 GB/0.92

it's been years since I used BitTornado but here is what I remember. it works on a range of ports. so say you have 6 ports open and 7 torrents going one is going to show as firewalled. for this reason alone I would suggest trying utorrent or a similar client. you only have to have one port open and can run as many torrents as you want through that one port.

BitTornado may have changed but that's the way it was when I used it.
Old 2008-02-19, 05:31 PM
69.59 GB/92.72 GB/1.33

Thanks for the feedback, guys... I seem to be getting green lights today for whatever reason, so I'm not going to mess with things until I have serious problems!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble