The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-05-21, 09:06 AM
56.11 GB/238.77 GB/4.26

AVI problems

Please forgive me in advance if this is not an appropriate forum for this question, but I have always found the folks here to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

I recently got a new computer )Compaq) with XP Media Edition on it. Whenever I try and access an AVI, I get a Windows error. I fixed this problem for File Explorer by turning off the preview function with a command (regsrvr32 /u shmedia.dll), but I still have the problem whenever I try to access the file to burn it with Nero, make a DVD from them with DVD Santa, etc. I'm thinking its some DLL somewhere, but I don't know where.

Anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions on where to go for help?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-21, 09:23 AM
hanshak2015
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: AVI problems

If you just want to play the vids, use a freeware software called Video Lan Client (VLC). It's the best player around for AVIs/XVIDs.

I never converted an AVI to DVD with Nero so no idea how to do that.
Old 2006-05-21, 09:56 AM
56.11 GB/238.77 GB/4.26

Thanks for the tip. VLC plays the AVIs great, but I still have a problem whenever I try to burn them with Nero StartSmart. It looks like I get an error when it tries to open the AVI in preview mode. I also get the problem with DVD Santa after I add files and try to select a directory to burn the DVD files to.

Could this be some registry, DLL or codec (sp?) issue?
Old 2006-05-21, 09:58 AM
hanshak2015
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I'd say yes, because you get the problem with different progs. How do you want to burn those AVIs? Just as a data disc or converted to DVD?
Old 2006-05-21, 10:13 AM
56.11 GB/238.77 GB/4.26

Thanks again for your advice. I loaded VLC and it plays the files fine - pretty nice little app, too.

For these files, I can get by with just a VCD. It appears I can do that with Nero using the 'Advanced' setting, where I just drag files to the template. But I would like the ability to combine AVIs together to make a DVD, as I did in the past.

And it just ticks me off that there is an underlying problem, too. I don't care if I can't preview the files in Explorer, but why should there be a general issue with XP on such a common file type? (I know it's not your fault , but I'm just venting a bit )

Thanks again for your help.
Old 2006-05-21, 10:23 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I'm not a windows user, so I can't help on this specific problem. But, you might want to try googling "windows XP avi problem" or similar and take a look at the responses. I had several hits but I wasn't sure if they addressed your specific problem.

Good luck!

Old 2006-05-21, 10:30 AM
hanshak2015
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

AVI covers a whole of different formats, so do all AVIs have these problems? You could try downloading a codec pack (Nimo Codec Pack) for example and see if the problem disappears. Maybe your system is just missing some codecs.
Old 2006-05-21, 10:56 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

"avi" can contain many codecs... VLC doesn't require codecs, everything it uses comes with it. so most likely it is something with your system. I've heard its best to uninstall all codec packs and install the latest versions of the codecs you use. I've got a similar problem on one of my machines when using xvid codec.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-05-21, 10:58 AM
56.11 GB/238.77 GB/4.26

hanshak2015 and U2Lynne -

With your help and suggestions, problem resolved! Lynne, I had googled, but I used your search terms and was able to find a codec finder, which allowed me to drag the AVI in question to it and it told me that the codec wasn't there. hanshak, I then googled to find a codec pack, installed it, and, walla, it all works.

Thanks for all the help folks - you guys and gals are the greatest. If only Microsoft had people of your caliber working there . . . . (huge opening for sarcastic comments
Old 2006-05-21, 12:25 PM
hanshak2015
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Glad I could help.
Old 2006-05-21, 02:28 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie44
hanshak2015 and U2Lynne -

With your help and suggestions, problem resolved! Lynne, I had googled, but I used your search terms and was able to find a codec finder, which allowed me to drag the AVI in question to it and it told me that the codec wasn't there. hanshak, I then googled to find a codec pack, installed it, and, walla, it all works.

Thanks for all the help folks - you guys and gals are the greatest. If only Microsoft had people of your caliber working there . . . . (huge opening for sarcastic comments
Cool. As I was reading, the first thing that popped into my head was codecs...and then everyone answered that too.

Can you post a link to that codec finder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2006-05-21, 08:45 PM
56.11 GB/238.77 GB/4.26

Sure - http://downloads.vnunet.com/download...er/_36024.html

Pretty cool - you just drag a file over to the finder and it tells you what codec it uses and if you have it installed on your machine.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble