The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-03-23, 08:13 PM
Same as it ever was
315.73 GB/413.30 GB/1.31

Dual-Layer DVD-R Reccomendations?

I've had a DL-capable burner, but never really found any DVD-9 torrents worth downloading until the recent Springsteen Stockholm '93 show appeared on Jungleland.

I've had good luck finding Taiyo-Yuden media, as Fuji still uses them, you just have to search a bit for CD and DVD spindles that are made in Japan. However, I haven't had the same luck searching for dual-layered DVD media...everything I've found is the same Singapore/Taiwain/wherever else crap.

I've looked online but haven't found any TY discs, just Verbatim and a few other crap brands. So where to go and what to buy? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-23, 09:28 PM
296.79 GB/95.16 GB/0.32

Re: Dual-Layer DVD-R Reccomendations?

Verbatim +R/DL are supposed to be the best. From everything I've ever heard you do not want to go with -R of any brand. The reason is that -R sets the layer break in the same position. You cannont choose where it goes. +R will give you the ability to choose your layer break resulting in less chance of skipping when the laser gets to the second layer. Also, ImgBurn in THE best program for burning video. I don't know if you use Nero or not, but it sucks big time for DL. I don't know of any good deals online. I don't burn many DL discs, so I just pick up a 3 pack from Wal Mart when I need them. Check the links at videohelp.com and see what they can provide.
Old 2007-03-24, 08:36 AM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

What type of burner do you have? If you have a good burner, then the manufacturer should recommend what is best for your burner. I have a plextor and only use the media that they specifically tested and recommended. Never had a problem yet. Also try http://www.videohelp.com/ for more in depth help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too
Old 2007-03-29, 10:58 PM
Same as it ever was
315.73 GB/413.30 GB/1.31

It's a pioneer something or another...maybe a DVR-111? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I'm more concerned with the disc's logevity than anything...reccomendations based on what burner you're using don't have anything to do with that. Verbatim CD-R's are usually crap, so I'm not overly trusting of any of their other products.

The TY discs seem to be the standard for CD and regular DVD media...so I'm just looking for the equivalent Dual-layered DVD's to TY or Mitsui, since neither of them seem to make DL discs (as far as I can tell).
Old 2007-03-30, 04:34 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Lightbulb Re: Dual-Layer DVD-R Reccomendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus
I'm more concerned with the disc's logevity than anything...reccomendations based on what burner you're using don't have anything to do with that. Verbatim CD-R's are usually crap, so I'm not overly trusting of any of their other products.
Burner type has very much "to do with". Not every burner likes TY, and discs may not burn well as you expect. Check your burner at: http://club.cdfreaks.com where are scans of various brands vs burners.

Verbatim discs burns usually very well and are reliable. Like Stantheman wrote above, DL are one of the best on the market. Whatever companies write, nobody can determine how (any) brand may behave after xx(x) years, lol. I have Verbatim CDR discs which are now almost 15 years old, and they still read perfectly, and there is no sign of oxidation.

If you want to live so long you may buy Verbatim silver/gold plated discs - as yet only DVD5.
Old 2007-03-30, 06:27 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

from the limited 1 year of experience i've had with DL DVDRs [Verbatim and Ridata], i'd go with the Verbatims...
Old 2007-03-30, 07:44 AM
Favorite vocalist = Sam Cooke
386.87 GB/460.16 GB/1.19

verbatim for sure.
Old 2007-03-30, 09:56 AM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.27

Lightbulb Re: Dual-Layer DVD-R Reccomendations?

ridaTA/ritek branded media is the best and only DL media i will use. from my experince it's the only one i trust for my archives
Old 2007-03-30, 09:59 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

TY doesn't make DL discs so they are out, so far I've only tries Verbatim but I have had a few coasters, not to bad but when they run $2 or more each it still sucks. I usually use Sony or Maxell dvd5's and never ahd a coaster yet after at least 300 but I can't find DL in those brands either - so Verbatim is probably the best DL as far as I can locate.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble