The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2011-07-02, 10:19 AM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

New audio torrent rule, no remasters unless by specific permission

13. Remasters are NOT allowed as of June 1, 2011.
While we understand that remastering a recording may improve the listening experience for the user, we also understand that every user has a different set of ears and a different set up for listening to their shows and thus there is no one-size-fits-all remastering that can be done to a recording to improve it for everyone. This rule is not set up to bar a taper from the little tweeks they apply prior to releasing their show, it is set up to bar Joe Blow from coming along and taking a master recording (or even a who-knows-where-it's-from recording) and applying who-knows-what to it because it then sounds better on *their* system to *their* ears and they want to share it. (There may be a couple of exceptions to this rule, but that will be on a case-by-case basis with prior approval from one of our ABT moderators.)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-07-02, 05:18 PM
973.67 GB/2.99 TB/3.15

Re: New audio torrent rule, no remasters unless by specific permission

I'm pretty sure this would come up, how about speed correction ? Does that apply to the rule also ?
Remote Power: CA-9100 pre-amp, CA-UBB battery box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d
Cable/s: custom 6" GAKables Mini Starquad
Batteries: Maha 9.6V Imedion, Maha Powerex 2700 mAh
Chargers: Maha MH-C9000, MAHA MH-C490F
Old 2011-07-02, 07:40 PM
DEF LEPPARD DIEHARD
66.21 GB/4.39 GB/0.07

this seems like a huge waste of time, or a make work project for the volunteers here.

let the downloaders determine what looks and sound better..... micromanaging everything just spoils the experience for everyone. Its not like its a waste of bandwidth for anyone when there is no share ratio.
Old 2011-07-02, 07:54 PM
HOINFODALER
TTD VIP
158.69 GB/345.63 GB/2.18

what about remasters from the original taper? i've been in the process of remastering some of my early recordings now that i know more about eq'ing & mastering than i did when i first started taping. i plan on uploading these and was actually about to put one of them up.
Old 2011-07-02, 08:24 PM
Long Distance Runner
1.32 TB/2.12 TB/1.61

Hi Ghostwheel,
I think this pertains to someone who does a hit and run of a perfectly satisfactory pull of some recent performance, then immediately "dumps" his altered version into the pool without consideration for the original taper's efforts. As I understand it, we don't need to step on a perfectly good recording without any "real" improvement. At a minimum, we should ask the taper about these tweaks to see what he thinks. It is likely that a certain amount of mitigation has already occurred... further tweaks may be outright destructive.

It will put a few extra pm's in the mod's inboxes... but it will keep the our pool a little cleaner, cooler and safer for tapers who still want to share their bliss.

I imagine your re-worked recordings will be welcomed here. Thanks!
Old 2011-07-02, 10:52 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Drgiggles1 and Ghostwheel, yes, those would still be covered by this rule. You can apply for an exception by the ABT mods. While these will not be common, they will be granted when felt appropriate. And Ghostwheel, working with the raw recording master, yours is more-or-less like a new transfer...similar, but not the same. Noted a such in the torrent, it should likely be OK.

cicada, we've been knocking around on this rule for over a year now. So it's not really based on anything recent, although a few certain people did help bring it about.

Archive625, we feel it is neither busy work nor a waste of time. As stated in the FAQ, we feel TTD is about quality, not quantity, and we fashion the rules to reflect that belief. Members are free to upload or download all the remasters they like, just not here. They are allowed at a number of other sites (most of which do have ratio requirements).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-07-03, 09:50 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Ghost -- i'll be the first to vouch for you and any "remastering" you might do...i've got quite a few recordings that i seeded raw, as i haven't had time to do a proper mixdown on em...that is quite different from what we want to prevent here with this rule

like rspencer said, we simply want to continue our motto of quality before quantity, and we all know that 95% of the "remasters" out there are bedroom amateurs who download and remaster every damn recording they get...they neither know what they're doing, nor are they truly benefiting the recording [despite what they and a few others may think]
Old 2011-07-03, 12:04 PM
Long Distance Runner
1.32 TB/2.12 TB/1.61

I put this up before the rule > http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=92161, but I just want to understand. Since the speed is corrected and there were various other tweaks, I should send a pm request to one of the mods (in the future)? I have no idea if PRRP got permission to work on this from team Lapinski
Old 2011-07-11, 07:31 PM
73.33 GB/168.99 GB/2.30

I love how people throw around the term remaster without any regard for it actually means. If I record something (audio wise that is) what is initially recorded on the master analog or digital is a raw recording. It has to be mastered first before it can be remastered. If I put it up here and specifically say it is raw then any Tom, Dick or Harry can master it anyway they want it to sound and you by your own rules have to allow it because it is not a remaster but technically a mastered copy. On top of that 27 different people can take that raw recording and master it 27 different ways and you'd have to allow them all because they are all unique masterings.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:55 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

we're using "remaster" in regards to the common trading circle use of the term, not the actual technical term...kinda like how an AUD+SBD mix is referred to as a "matrix" in trading circles, even though technically speaking it's not a true audio matrix

so no, we will not be allowing the 27 various mixes...the whole point is if a raw or old recording is gonna be messed with by some random user to "make it better" [to their ears on their listening set up], fine but it shouldn't be spread around...cuz of the hundreds of folks out there "remastering" these recordings, there are only a small handful who have the knowledge and gear to properly mix said recordings
Old 2011-07-12, 11:23 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedwacker View Post
I love how people throw around the term remaster without any regard for it actually means. If I record something (audio wise that is) what is initially recorded on the master analog or digital is a raw recording. It has to be mastered first before it can be remastered. If I put it up here and specifically say it is raw then any Tom, Dick or Harry can master it anyway they want it to sound and you by your own rules have to allow it because it is not a remaster but technically a mastered copy. On top of that 27 different people can take that raw recording and master it 27 different ways and you'd have to allow them all because they are all unique masterings.

Don't make it harder than it needs to be.
Old 2011-07-13, 03:14 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

the general idea is, "don't fuck with shit that doesn't need fucking with. If you do, post it elsewhere". Like that.

basically for those that EQ and limit brand new recordings / postings and have them torrented while the original still has 150 damn seeds going...

unfortunately, some people are idiots and necessitate broad rules that are selectively enforced. Just like real-life laws.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:18 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High

May be you should remove the matrix option in the type of show section of the Upload Audio Show page (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/upload.php?f=12)?
Old 2011-07-13, 03:28 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabulon View Post
May be you should remove the matrix option in the type of show section of the Upload Audio Show page (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/upload.php?f=12)?
Uh, no, I don't think so. A "matrix" as it is referred to is a blend of two sources (sbd/aud, or even two complementary aud sources...) and that's much different than taking a single source and eq-ing and processing that single file to make your re-bastardization - I mean remaster...

I think I know what incident prompted this rule. I don't think it will be a widespread draconian rule to ban some "legacy" remasters that circulate, and I hope that in some cases that new remasters of things from bootleg labels on silvers that come out with flaws would still be good (depending on who's doing them I guess). As stated earlier, it is to stop people from being jerkoffs about taking some fresh recording that just went up and altering it to allow the undeserving dick to re-post it and take credit where it isn't due.

It kind of sucks to HAVE to make a rule like that, just to keep away the goofs that take advantage. I'm hoping that if someone genuinely has corrected major flaws (speed corrections, gaps patched, blends with alternate sources, etc.) will be given proper consideration.

In other words, this "rule" should be applied with a light touch...
Old 2011-07-17, 02:43 AM
pretty when I'm drunk
670.72 GB/635.78 GB/0.95

Location: between my owners legs, and someone else's too, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive625 View Post
this seems like a huge waste of time, or a make work project for the volunteers here.

let the downloaders determine what looks and sound better..... micromanaging everything just spoils the experience for everyone. Its not like its a waste of bandwidth for anyone when there is no share ratio.

yet more proof that you're def, and not the "cool" kind.

pun intended.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions