The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-11-03, 05:56 PM
126.34 GB/768.50 GB/6.08

Can I post very high bitrate H.264-encoded video?

Hi,

this is my first post here, and I have a question about what kind of material I'm allowed to post as video-torrents. The FAQ seems to point out that only DVD (mpeg2) torrents are allowed, but most of the stuff I've transfered (and might post) from VHS are encoded with H.264 in either a MKV or MP4 container.

Since many of us use plasma/lcd-screens today we can't really take advantage of an interlaced signal, and most consumer hardware deinterlacers built in to projectors/plasmas/lcds are crap, in my opinion. That's why I've decided to do the deinterlace directly in software. This is when DVD aren't good enought:

Usually I deinterlace with MvBob, at around 1.4fps at a Core 2 Duo 1600, and end up with a brilliant looking 50fps 720*576px progressive videostream. I resize this to 544*576px in order to save some bits in the encoding process, and then I encode the stuff to H.264 with the free x264-implementation of that standard at bitrates high enought to fill a DVD5, or DVD9 if the show is very, very long. This means that I have 576p video encoded at DVD-bitrates but with a H.264 codec instead of mpeg2.

Usually I store this stream in either an mp4 or a mkv (Matroska) container, mkv tends to work best on my computers while the mp4 container can be played at updated Xbox 360s and Playstation 3s. Last time I tried this the 360 did not handle the PAR-setting correctly, but the PS3 works like a charm. It will probably be a matter of months before most low end DVD-players can handle these kinds of files, party because H.264 is one of the standards that HD-DVD and Blue-ray support and partly because "scene releases" of high definition material are H.264 encoded. I don't think mp4 can handle LPCM but mkv can.

There are also menu systems for mp4 and mkv, but I haven't yet tried them.

Simply put, I don't think DVD is good enougth quality wise compared to the amount of work (and money... TBCs, players etc) I've put in to the transfer.

Is it, or is it not, okey to post torrents with this kind of content?

Edit: Corrected some spelling mistakes, and changed some words.

Last edited by LypsylateX; 2007-11-03 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-11-03, 06:16 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Can I post very high bitrate H.264-encoded video?

It is, but you need to author it to BE a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD file set - not just the raw video.

Actually, we've been discussing how to implement this and working on getting the video torrent upload page updated with transport streams / blu-ray / HD-DVD, etc options, and I thought we had a working model ready... but it doesn't seem to be in place on the menus...

stand by while I get some mods to chime in on where we are with this.
Old 2007-11-03, 06:25 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I have an upload page ready to replace the old one, but Joe said he had a couple of things to work out first before we go live with it. LypsylateX, I would suggest you PM the video mods and ask them your questions. They may have a few questions for you to answer to help figure out exactly how we want to implement allowing the TS/Blu-ray/HD-DVD videos.

Old 2007-11-03, 06:32 PM
126.34 GB/768.50 GB/6.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
LypsylateX, I would suggest you PM the video mods and ask them your questions. They may have a few questions for you to answer to help figure out exactly how we want to implement allowing the TS/Blu-ray/HD-DVD videos.
Great, thank you.

I'll PM them tomorrow, I might also need some input about how these kind of files best are packaged... there might be things that I haven't thought of.
Old 2007-11-03, 06:34 PM
126.34 GB/768.50 GB/6.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg
It is, but you need to author it to BE a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD file set - not just the raw video.
Ok. Then I have some googling to do. Thank you.

EDIT: AVCHD seems to be the way to go, more or less blue-ray structure on DVD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...igh_Definition

Last edited by LypsylateX; 2007-11-03 at 06:42 PM.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble