The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-05-31, 08:41 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Video from television programs

Is the name of the television program allowed in the torrent title?
For instance, "The Today Show" "VH1 Legends" "Night Music" "Old Grey Whistle Test" "One On One With John Tesh" etc.?
I would like to seed many videos from television programs which I have recorded.

Last edited by vladsmythe; 2008-05-31 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-05-31, 09:34 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Re: Video from television programs

My video seed was re-named by someone else last night from "David Crosby One On One With John Tesh" (The actual name of the broadcast) to "David Crosby - Interview" then to "David Crosby - Los Olivos" . The date listed was 10-8-91, which was the date of the broadcast. To change the title to "Los Olivos" indicates that it was taped on that date, which it was not. I try to make every effort to be specific in the lineage of my video uploads, as these are documents of history and should be preserved as such - including the manner in which they are posted.
Old 2008-05-31, 10:04 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hmmm, there is a thread like this in Site Announcements.

It is probably best to just leave the thread title for just the band name, date, venue and then the added (FLAC), (SHN), (PAL), (NTSC), (RESEED), etc that gets added. Go ahead and put any other information into the thread body. You don't want the title really long, you just want it as a short blurb to identify the thread.

Old 2008-05-31, 10:21 AM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Hmmm, there is a thread like this in Site Announcements.

It is probably best to just leave the thread title for just the band name, date, venue and then the added (FLAC), (SHN), (PAL), (NTSC), (RESEED), etc that gets added. Go ahead and put any other information into the thread body. You don't want the title really long, you just want it as a short blurb to identify the thread.
A real fear is that the television production companies will come after TTD
just as they have youtube and other sites to take down their copyrighted
material. If the torrent name is generic, it is less likely to draw attention.

Last edited by showtaper; 2008-05-31 at 10:22 AM. Reason: felt like it, may do it again......
Old 2008-05-31, 10:29 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

So is the venue the NAME of the program like "Old Grey Whistle Test"? or LOCATION of the venue - "Shepard's Bush, London". And is it "Best" or "Required". I'm confused. In the past I have seeded the following videos without incident. Wouldn't it be a bit vague and more importantly, unhelpful to members if I named "Grace Slick - The Joan Rivers Show" "Grace Slick - CBS Studios, Los Angeles, CA"? There was no problem with these torrents I put up. Why is there a problem with my new David Crosby torrent? The only explanation I got from any staff member other than you Lynne, was "your ratio seems to be slipping a hair."

Grace Slick 1990-06-12 Joan Rivers Show
BB King 1993-02-04 Street Stories
Grateful Dead 1987-07-14 Evening Magazine
Bill Graham 1986-06-11 West 57th CBS
John Lee Hooker xxxx-xx-xx Tonight Show & Sunday Morning
Traffic 1994-xx-xx VH1 To One
James Brown 1996-xx-xx Jerry Springer Show
BB King 1991-11-13 Later with Bob Costas
Pete Townshend 1996-05-03 Late Night with Conan O'Brien
Charlie Watts 1993-10-26 Later with Bob Costas
Grace Slick 1998-09-18 Late, Late Show
Bob Marley 1987-10-27 West 57th CBS
Various xxxx-xx-xx Top of the Pops
David Crosby 1993-01-19 Whoopi Goldberg Show
Various Artists 1980s Solid Gold In Concert
Crosby, Stills and Nash 1987-10-03 West 57th CBS
Simon & Garfunkel 1993-09-30 Dateline NBC
Grateful Dead 1985-xx-xx West 57th
The Rolling Stones 1989-09-22 20/20
Keith Richards 1996-xx-xx VH1 to 1
The Moody Blues 1986-xx-xx Cover Story
Paul McCartney 1986-xx-xx Cover Story
Ray Charles 1994-07-06 "Now"
Old 2008-05-31, 10:32 AM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtaper View Post
I believe the FAQ in video torrents states that you cannot upload entire TV shows like the Junos or other awards programs. You can upload the music segments, but not the entire shows.

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Old 2008-05-31, 10:35 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtaper View Post
If that is the case Lynne, then all torrents with Old Grey Whistle Test, VH1, Rockpalast and on and on should be edited with "generic" titles. I think it's just a case of one particular moderator who has openly stated that he dislikes me, giving me grief. I'm trying to share interesting content here and I don't like being treated with disrespect for doing so.
Old 2008-05-31, 11:18 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

If it's okay, Id like to seed the torrent as I originally seeded it "David Crosby - One On One With John Tesh". Nowhere in the text file does it now, or has it ever made mention of Los Olivos. Please advise. Thank you.
Old 2008-05-31, 11:21 AM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

If this is about the Crosby torrent, the explanation given is that it was pulled because there was no activity.

I don't think it has to do with the nature of the TV program, I have seen many "Behind The Music" torrents seeded here.

Old 2008-05-31, 11:50 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

There was no activity because I didn't seed a torrent by the name that a mod chose to name it. I seeded a torrent that I named. I was hoping that the staff would deliberate the fate of my seed and allow me to name my own torrent, from my own collection with it's PROPER TITLE. It was getting late here in California so I went to bed. They made the decision to pull the torrent while I slept. I would like to re-seed the torrent today as it was originally seeded, before it was tampered with - without even a PM to me (which would have been a considerate gesture). I think this was about me and not the David Crosby video. Why else would the "Bonnie Raitt - Old Grey Whistle Test" torrent be allowed without a proper edit to the generic "Bonnie Raitt - Shepard's Bush, London".
Seems pretty obvious to me.
Old 2008-05-31, 12:27 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I really think it's best to just have the title something like "David Crosby yyyy-mm-yy (NTSC) and then if you select Interview, it shows up as a DVD-Int in the little icon. Go ahead and put all the information about what the program is and who interviewed him and any other miscellaneous stuff in the thread body.

Let me just tell you a little about the moderation.... we actually go through all the threads here and then 'mark' them after they are read. That way, the moderators don't go through the same shows over and over again. Whichever moderator is online goes through the threads in 'their' forum. Joe is a little bit more title-format oriented than Jonathan. It's just a preference of his. If Jonathan had gone through the shows, he might have left it or modified it - who knows. I would not take it as something against you, vlad, because many titles get modified, you just don't notice it because they weren't 'your' titles.

The VBT and ABT forums are now hidden from google, but I did open them up to the RSS feed. I do think it is best to be as generic as possible in the thread titles since it is the thread title that gets 'fed' into the RSS feed. I'd rather not have something in there that might raise a flag somewhere if any networks happen to be pulling them.

Old 2008-05-31, 12:31 PM
620.98 GB/409.51 GB/0.66

Seems strange of me vlad, but maybe it is just odd timing or PPL being busy and just not getting to this issue. I never got a word back from a few mods about my Peter Tosh Vid I uploaded and had pulled because it was thought to be encoded from PAL to NTSC, but I sent messages to at least one mod. about how the vid was made by Peter Tosh's engineer by Jamaicans who use NTSC format. I think sometimes things just slip through the cracks.
Old 2008-05-31, 12:32 PM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
I really think it's best to just have the title something like "David Crosby yyyy-mm-yy (NTSC) and then if you select Interview, it shows up as a DVD-Int in the little icon. Go ahead and put all the information about what the program is and who interviewed him and any other miscellaneous stuff in the thread body.

Let me just tell you a little about the moderation.... we actually go through all the threads here and then 'mark' them after they are read. That way, the moderators don't go through the same shows over and over again. Whichever moderator is online goes through the threads in 'their' forum. Joe is a little bit more title-format oriented than Jonathan. It's just a preference of his. If Jonathan had gone through the shows, he might have left it or modified it - who knows. I would not take it as something against you, vlad, because many titles get modified, you just don't notice it because they weren't 'your' titles.

The VBT and ABT forums are now hidden from google, but I did open them up to the RSS feed. I do think it is best to be as generic as possible in the thread titles since it is the thread title that gets 'fed' into the RSS feed. I'd rather not have something in there that might raise a flag somewhere if any networks happen to be pulling them.
How should R.E.M. at ACL be named? It aired last night.

I assume: R.E.M. Austin City Limits 2007 (I don't remember the date it was taped but do have it saved someplace).

Old 2008-05-31, 12:36 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn2760 View Post

I assume: R.E.M. Austin City Limits 2007 (I don't remember the date it was taped but do have it saved someplace).
I would probably just put REM in the band title, put in the date (probably the date of the show, not the air date) and put the venue in where it asks for venue. Then in the first couple lines of the thread I'd state the air date and that it was on ACL.

Old 2008-05-31, 12:38 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn2760 View Post
^^^ Look, there is no hard and fast rule, but the torrent upload form will name it they way it should be, in most cases. We take everything on a case by case basis.. in general, the FAQ is the governing set of guidelines.

The torrent upload form will name the show the way it generally needs to be named. If you want to add or subtract from that, go ahead. If the forum's mod thinks it needs to be modified, he/she will mod it.

Don't stress over this... upload away... your torrent will be assimilated.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble