The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-09-07, 11:01 AM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

UTorrent Port settings

I am changed over to uTorrent because of problems with Bit. Any suggestions on port range settings please?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-07, 11:19 AM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: UTorrent Port settings

Lynne-

I used the port that was in the box already (15845) Can you check on your end f everything is working alright please?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-07, 12:33 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

you're not showing up firewalled right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2006-09-07, 12:39 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You look OK on both the torrents you are on. However, I seem to recall that the default for uTorrent is to pick random ports. So, make sure you go into Options > Preferences > Connection and uncheck the "Randomize port each time uTorrent starts" box. And, you probably want to check the "Add uTorrent to Windows Firewall" option.

Also, you may want to play with the Bandwidth Limiting options to maximize your upload and download rates (set upload to about 80% of the maximum and that will allow good download and upload rates).

Old 2006-09-07, 12:49 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
You look OK on both the torrents you are on. However, I seem to recall that the default for uTorrent is to pick random ports. So, make sure you go into Options > Preferences > Connection and uncheck the "Randomize port each time uTorrent starts" box. And, you probably want to check the "Add uTorrent to Windows Firewall" option.

Also, you may want to play with the Bandwidth Limiting options to maximize your upload and download rates (set upload to about 80% of the maximum and that will allow good download and upload rates).

Thanks Lynne-

I'll go ahead and do...also I disabled "Off" my windows firewall. I really don't need it on since I am using a router anyway.
Old 2006-09-07, 12:52 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Lynne-

What numbers should I put in the bandwidth boxes for up and down? You said 80% but what is 80% of maximum? (not sure what max number is)
Old 2006-09-07, 12:58 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You should do a speed test for your type of service (dsl or cable modem or whatever). Your ISP probably has it's own page where you can do the test. The numbers you get will probably be in bps (bits per second) so you will need to divide that number by 8 to get Bps (Bytes per second) which is the way bittorrent refers to speeds.

Old 2006-09-07, 01:02 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thanks again Lynne!
Old 2006-09-07, 01:14 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Lynne-

My speeds are:

UP: 540 Kbps

Down: 4300 Kbps

So do I divide these by 8 and put those numbers in the bandwidth limit options for up and down respectively?

So:
UP: (67.5)
and

DOWN: (537.5)

?
Old 2006-09-07, 03:10 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, I would cap my upload at about 54. That should allow you to still upload at a good rate and download at a really fast rate (assuming you can get that high of a download rate on a torrent). If you need to also be on the computer at the same time, the first thing I would do is cap your download rate if you are getting that high of a speed. I'd put it at about half the max (around 250) and then cap the upload at about 45 or so. You should play with the numbers and see what works for you though.

Old 2006-09-07, 03:12 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Well, I would cap my upload at about 54. That should allow you to still upload at a good rate and download at a really fast rate (assuming you can get that high of a download rate on a torrent). If you need to also be on the computer at the same time, the first thing I would do is cap your download rate if you are getting that high of a speed. I'd put it at about half the max (around 250) and then cap the upload at about 45 or so. You should play with the numbers and see what works for you though.
Thanks Lynne

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble