The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-02-04, 06:54 PM
andrewcronullasydney
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Storage of Shows

Hi there, I was wondering if people would outline how they store their shows -and then copy them.

After a few trades I have quickly filled my 250gig external hard drive, when I look at poeples lists they have soooo many shows it would be impossible to store them on HD.

So....do people keep them on disk, when someone requests that titles, they them use Decrypter or Shink to put the file back onto the hard drive and then burn the show ???

That seems like the hard way.....

Is it possible to use two drives, put the original in one and the blank disc in the other ? Eliminating the need for HD space ? and Keep all shows on disk ?
If this is possible, what software is used ?

Ideas, your techniques would be appreciated.

Andrew
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-04, 07:10 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Re: Storage of Shows

Are you talking about audio or video?

For audio I backup all the original lossless files onto DVDs. I find its the simplest, cheapest, and most secure way to go about archiving your music. I am really scared of backing up my shows onto hard drives, espicially large ones. Example, if my 250 gig drive dies, I have lost A LOT of music. On the other hand, if I lose or damage one dvd, only 4 gigs are lost. Ideally I would have a bunch of external drives daisy chained like no other (I have around 1,000 gig of shows) and also have a copy of everything on dvd as well.

And its SUPER simple to trade from the dvd method. If you look at my audio list there is a "DVD #" next to every show I have archived. If someone wants a crunchy WSP show, I just look at the DVD # I have it backed up on, copy the files to my computer, burn, and voila.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-04, 07:14 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i store my shows on Taiyo Yuden DVDR discs [burned as "data discs"]...when someone requests a show, i just transfer it from the disc to my HD, then burn the person a data disc of the show...

you don't need Decrypter or Shrink...just copy/paste the show's folder to HD, then burn as data w/ whatever burning prog you use [on Mac i use Toast, on PC i use Nero]...

Taiyo Yuden discs cost a little bit more than other brands, but in the long run its WELL worth it!
Old 2006-02-04, 07:15 PM
i have a fucking gun
436.18 GB/360.62 GB/0.83

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistoto
Are you talking about audio or video?

For audio I backup all the original lossless files onto DVDs. I find its the simplest, cheapest, and most secure way to go about archiving your music. I am really scared of backing up my shows onto hard drives, espiically large ones. Example, if my 250 gig drive dies, I have lost A LOT of music. On the other hand, if I lose or damage one dvd, only 4 gigs are lost. Ideally I would have both external drives daisy chained like no other (I have around 1,000 gig of shows) and also have a copy of everything on dvd as well.

And its SUPER simple to trade from the dvd method. If you look at my audio list there is a "DVD #" next to every show I have archived. If someone wants a crunchy WSP show, I just look at the DVD # I have it backed up on, copy the files to my computer, burn, and voila.
^^this is the way to go. i do the same thing. keep a list & your discs organized and its easy. you can have much more control over what happens to the discs than you can with what happens to your hard drive. drives fail, more often than you expect. just not worth it either IMO.
Old 2006-02-04, 07:19 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

For video I do essentially the same thing, just make a copy of the dvd and store it away.

Here is a pic of how I store moi dvds:

Old 2006-02-04, 07:20 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by netyuppie
drives fail, more often than you expect. just not worth it either IMO.

werd.
Old 2006-02-04, 07:23 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by netyuppie
drives fail, more often than you expect. just not worth it either IMO.
i'll double werd that!

unless you can afford an XServe RAID w/ an array of TB drives
Old 2006-02-07, 06:12 PM
SpinBot
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
i store my shows on Taiyo Yuden DVDR discs [burned as "data discs"]...when someone requests a show, i just transfer it from the disc to my HD, then burn the person a data disc of the show...

you don't need Decrypter or Shrink...just copy/paste the show's folder to HD, then burn as data w/ whatever burning prog you use [on Mac i use Toast, on PC i use Nero]...

Taiyo Yuden discs cost a little bit more than other brands, but in the long run its WELL worth it!
So do you use Toast to burn the DVD disk? I am about to buy an external DVD burner to start storing all these great shows, and I already use Toast for CD and mp3 burning, so it would be nice to use the same program (I like it simple).
P.S. Do you use DVD+R, DVD-R, Dual Layer, or what? So many options...

Thanks!
Old 2006-02-07, 06:21 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

yes you van use toast.

use either dvd+r or dual layer.
Old 2006-02-07, 06:52 PM
SpinBot
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Sweet! Thanks, man.
Old 2006-02-07, 09:22 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

DVD+R, DVD-R, whatevers cheapest...but ALWAYS Taiyo Yuden discs...and yeah, Toast is the prog for the mac os

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble