The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-12-16, 06:21 AM
Lockout here
561.46 GB/867.76 GB/1.55

Icon4 TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4

I tested today TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 with the following clips (5 minutes each):
* AVCHD (.m2ts) from Sony HDR-SR7E camera
* H264 1920x1080 25fps / AC3 2.0 448 kbps DVB-S satellite stream from Astra HD channel
* H264 1280x720 25fps / MP2 384 kbps DVB-S satellite stream from Arte HD channel
* MPEG2 HD 720x576 25fps (10.7 Mbps) / MP2 384 kbps DVB-S satellite stream from Hungarian M2 channel

Works OK with .ts and .m2ts containers containing MPEG2 HD and/or H264 video - seems that it has built-in AVCHD reader.

Cannot open demuxed .h264 file. Kinda strange. Maybe it depends on installed codecs - I have Haali Media Splitter which works great with any other software.

May output BR video in MPEG2 HD format only, thus any H264 is converted.

In default audio setting ("Automatic", no conversion) source audio AC3 448 kbps from m2ts/ts container is converted to AC3 224 kbps (sic!). Dialog normalization is set to -31 db which is very low, and audio bandwidth is limitted to 18 kHz.
Of course any MP2 audio has to be converted to AC3 or PCM to be compatible with BR standard.

Conversion time from H264 to MPEG2 HD is good: it took 11 minutes to convert 5 min. clip (Intel Core 2 Duo 6400).

MPEG2 HD renders to BR without any (partial) conversion, at least for the file I had.

Menu design, including pop-up, is identical to DVD one, known from previous versions of the program. Rendering quality is very good.

So, for any H264 in .ts/m2ts source TDA4 should be avoided like a plague, especially for music videos as it converts audio. Perhaps it can be avoided if audio is demuxed and imported to TDA4 separately.

TDA4 has new rendering preview window which shows what frames are being converted only. Preview for standard definition DVB-S captures shows that a lot, even the source is fully compatible with DVD standard (GOP structure, and bitrate)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-12-26, 12:44 PM
Lockout here
561.46 GB/867.76 GB/1.55

Re: What about High Definition streams?

PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages. All formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/WMA, JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, and all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG) the ps3 is willing to play. You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3! Freeware.
Old 2011-05-29, 08:20 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High

Interesting thread this.
Old 2013-10-02, 10:41 AM
TTD VIP
261.85 GB/2.28 TB/8.92

what about my Nikon s9100 it is 1080 p .mov files /

are they allowed ?
Old 2013-10-02, 10:55 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

good question. I know many tv shows use handheld HD cameras today.
Old 2013-10-03, 08:08 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

the problem with consumer-level dslr's & video is that there are so many quality factors involved that, for us, creating a simple "rule" is impossible -- there's as many factors as there are camera models

i'm not familiar with this camera model, and i leave all judgements up to the video mods, but theoretically if your shooting at 1080p and use a high-quality intermediary codec like ProRes 422 for your editing, i don't see why it wouldn't be allowed...but thats just my personal opinion, not TTD Rules
Old 2013-10-03, 10:52 AM
TTD VIP
19.31 TB/8.12 TB/0.42

I put HD files that I download on a portable hard drive and play it on TV with this: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
USB in - HDMI out. It also works wirelessly to an existing network.
This device plays every media format that I have thrown at it, with the exception of SHN files, which I haven't tried yet.
Old 2013-10-03, 03:41 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
I put HD files that I download on a portable hard drive and play it on TV with this: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
USB in - HDMI out. It also works wirelessly to an existing network.
This device plays every media format that I have thrown at it, with the exception of SHN files, which I haven't tried yet.
so can that play DVD files I download from here withouthaving to change anything? just point it to the VIDEO_TS folder of the VOB files within it?

Edit: I see one model can't play both NTSC and PAL
Old 2013-10-03, 03:45 PM
TTD VIP
19.31 TB/8.12 TB/0.42

I think you can do it that way, but not sure. I know it works 'cause I tried it. You might have to open the VIDEO_TS folder and start the video by selecting VOB 01. Mine plays both PAL and NTSC. I tested it by watching Jazz vids from PAL sources.
Old 2013-10-04, 12:54 PM
TTD VIP
261.85 GB/2.28 TB/8.92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
the problem with consumer-level dslr's & video is that there are so many quality factors involved that, for us, creating a simple "rule" is impossible -- there's as many factors as there are camera models

i'm not familiar with this camera model, and i leave all judgements up to the video mods, but theoretically if your shooting at 1080p and use a high-quality intermediary codec like ProRes 422 for your editing, i don't see why it wouldn't be allowed...but thats just my personal opinion, not TTD Rules

I think with sony vegas you can edit mov files directly if you have quicktime installed ?

I will be shooting some video soon so hopefully this can be resolved

also shooting with an asus tf700t that also has a great lens and 1080 p !

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble